Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Keeping track of stuff to do before driving off...

kinda in the spirit of "Remove before Flight".

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Great idea!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We use a small checklist sheet that clips into the Sprinter clipboard clip on the dash.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #4
Site Team

I realize that this is going to label me as a hopeless geek, but I automated those checks in our rig.

I bought a bag full of these magnetic switches intended for alarm systems:

mag switches.JPG

I have them all over the van at most of the places represented by the clothespins. They are all wired in parallel with one side going to ground and the other side to a 12VDC buzzer. The positive side of the buzzer is powered by the Sprinter's "Ignition" signal. So, whenever I turn on the key, if any switch is closed, the buzzer goes off.

For example, here's the sensor for "antenna down":
Antenna2.jpg

For shore power, the ground path goes through a 120VAC relay--if we are getting power from the shore plug, the relay closes, grounding the buzzer.

Yes, I know the clothespins work too--but I have fun.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I like that too! Hi tech.

I have three reminder notes that I attach to the steering wheel with twist ties. 1. Unplug, 2. Close A/C cover & 3. "Both on" refers to a manual A/B/Both battery switch.

I need more now mostly for the trailer; the Winegard antenna, stove top vent etc.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
Platinum Member

OK, those clothes pins are *genius*. I thought I had vetted every idea known to mankind when I created my own list, but that is one that had not occurred to me despite many hours of thought and prototyping. Clearly, I should have broadened my horizons and joined Class B Forum sooner than I have.

After much gnashing of teeth (blog post here), I settled upon this design which I made using a locker-sized magnetic white board and magnetic business card backers cut into smaller pieces. I move the labeled magnetic pieces back and forth between the two columns to reflect what is done and not done at any given moment:

We have a mid-bath Class B, so there's a wall behind the driver's seat. Airstream had it as a plain blank wooden wall, but I turned the wall itself into a magnetic organizer board that holds many items including this magnetic do-done list (blog post here). You can just see the edge of it in this photo, behind the seat. I trained myself to turn to my left and double-check that list as the last thing I do before putting the rig in gear and driving away.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The thing that amazes me most about this thread is the number of things you guys have to do before you drive off.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
The thing that amazes me most about this thread is the number of things you guys have to do before you drive off.
We live in the subtropics, in Galveston County Texas. We keep our van inside a storage bay when it is not in use, but even with it being covered, temperatures routinely climb to 100 degrees inside of it, and the highest interior temp that I've thus far recorded in sunshine is 107 degrees (and that's with all window reflectors in place). On top of that, of course, we constantly deal with Gulf Coast humidity, which has to be experienced to be believed.

Because of this, little things like leaving the bathroom door open and leaving the windows and refrigerator open and the Fantastic open make a big, big difference in controlling condensation and mildew-y odors. Air has to keep moving through the entire van at all times. If we even forget to leave the fridge door open one time, it turns black in there. Ask me how I know this.

So a lot of my list is devoted to these little procedures.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Keeping track of stuff to do before driving off...

I use a fee iPhone App called Checklist+. See attached screen grab. You clear the check marks each time you use it and then check off things as you go. Work well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
Silver Member

I must say that those checklist ideas are smart. I like Avanti's hi-tech approach and could see myself adding sensors to everything, but don't see the need at least for now.
Although I never done any pre-departure checklist in my travels, this smartphone app may appeal to some: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hecklist&hl=en

edit: oppss...Boxster1971 already covered it, sorry.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I use a fee iPhone App called Checklist+. See attached screen grab. You clear the check marks each time you use it and then check off things as you go. Work well for me. ...
Will it sync for two people? That's the issue my husband and I had and why I chose a physical method instead of electronic - one person assuming the other person had completed some task when it had not occurred. Then we'd find ourselves driving down the road and we'd notice that the fridge door was flapping on its hinges or the fresh water fill trap door was flapping in the wind.

And who hasn't had the pleasure of being flagged down by passing drivers who lean out their windows and yell, "YOUR TV ANTENNA!"
Old 12-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
...lean out their windows and yell, "YOUR TV ANTENNA!"
me!

I initially had a clip on the antenna crank handle which would transfer to the gear shift when antenna was up

the clothes pin reminder came along a few days later- anyone can add or subtract ( like if 1 person decides the cable is no good and cranks up the antenna while the other is on the beach)

checklists and communication are vital in my work- and so far the 2 of us have not had an error in communication ( which is stellar for us!)

the visor position puts this in the drivers face - before the van is started and put in gear

unused pins I clip to the curtain of the skylight above driver's head- I can add or subtract from the seat.

and the cost is next to nothing...I have a P touch, I have a clothesline and extra pins

for the fridge i keep one of the dog's toys in the door shelf which will prevent it from closing when parked at the house between trips- before a trip i will fire up the fridge for a day to get it to temps, so door closed

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Will it sync for two people? That's the issue my husband and I had and why I chose a physical method instead of electronic - one person assuming the other person had completed some task when it had not occurred. Then we'd find ourselves driving down the road and we'd notice that the fridge door was flapping on its hinges or the fresh water fill trap door was flapping in the wind.

And who hasn't had the pleasure of being flagged down by passing drivers who lean out their windows and yell, "YOUR TV ANTENNA!"
No - I don't think it will sync between two users. I do the checklist myself while my wife fires up the Kenwood/Garmin Navigation and enters the next destination.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:34 AM   #14
Platinum Member

For the most part, when we leave our camping spot, we look around and make sure everything is stowed away. Where we often run into problems is when we stop for a few minutes for a coffee, or when nature calls. For example, we have a big plastic tray that fits perfectly in the kitchen sink. It can contain a few breakable items, like unwashed coffee cups. We take it out to wash our hands and then forget to put it back. After a few street corners ... it falls to the floor with a loud bang!
Not sure how to avoid this.
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJones View Post
... we have a big plastic tray that fits perfectly in the kitchen sink. It can contain a few breakable items, like unwashed coffee cups. We take it out to wash our hands and then forget to put it back. After a few street corners ... it falls to the floor with a loud bang!
Not sure how to avoid this.
Your anecdote reminds me of the reason why I created this particular illustration:

Old 12-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Your anecdote reminds me of the reason why I created this particular illustration:

Cute - Merry Christmas!

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 12-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #17
Platinum Member

We picked up some plastic slap bracelets at a Hobby Lobby to put on the steering wheel. Each bracelet would have a labeled task on it for departure. We got the idea from a fellow Class B user only we never bothered to implement it. We do have those bracelets though.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote