Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Very nice work, is this your idea to use webbing on the edge?, very innovative. How thick is the perforated aluminum top?
Yes. The perf'd aluminum top is from Online Metals, as follows: 0.125" (0.25" holes-0.375" STAGGER) ALUMINUM PERFORATED SHEET 3003-H14

I couldn't find decent C-channel to edge that sheet product, so I decided to bind it instead. The edge is filed down but still rather sharp, so I chose belt webbing knowing that it is tough enough so that it will not tend to fray (Amazon: 100% Polyester Belting 1" Wide 15 Yards-Charcoal Gray). It can be bought in smaller quantities in craft stores, but I also used it elsewhere in the van, including for the tarp enclosure in which I strap my inflatable kayak on the roof.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #22
Platinum Member

When I bought the Lagun table, I ordered a second receiver with it, just in case. I figured that maybe in the future I'd add it to the rear, so I could use the table in both places.

Well, so much for saving a project for a rainy day - it is now done. Adding the second receiver here allowed me to delete those two pedestal leg cups and the pedestals themselves from the van's inventory, which makes for a cleaner and less weighty table top. And, of course, this table version can be pushed completely out of the center aisle.

Interestingly, Airstream has incorporated the Lagun into their new shorty Interstate. They made their receiver mount in a slightly different way than I did. They did bevel the edges, but not all the way. I wouldn't leave sharp corners anywhere with this thing. Here's a screen shot from an amateur video tour (on YouTube search "2019 Airstream Interstate 4x4 Sport video tour with George" if you want to see the whole thing).

Old 06-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #23
BBQ
Platinum Member

Nice.

I want one too. $$$
Old 06-04-2018, 03:55 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Very nice, what is the black "plastic" I think spacer?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Very nice, what is the black "plastic" I think spacer?
Do you mean the black strip on top of the table? That's a Velcro hold-down strap designed to prevent my large workstation from sliding off while the van is in motion.

Part of the reason why I wanted a perforated aluminum top was so that I could attach items to it without having to drill holes. I just place tiny nuts and bolts through the existing holes, and can move stuff around as needed. I've thought about bolting a small cup holder to it as well.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Do you mean the black strip on top of the table? That's a Velcro hold-down strap designed to prevent my large workstation from sliding off while the van is in motion.

Part of the reason why I wanted a perforated aluminum top was so that I could attach items to it without having to drill holes. I just place tiny nuts and bolts through the existing holes, and can move stuff around as needed. I've thought about bolting a small cup holder to it as well.
That's brilliant. I learn things from your blogs and posts all the time.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #27
BBQ
Platinum Member

Yes that's brilliant.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
When I purchased the Lagun Table mounts for our new vehicle the best price was from the UK with pretty quick delivery to the US.

https://www.marineteak.co.uk/lagun-a...ing-system-331

Quote:
We got the Lagun table mount from the same place. I had a self-induced shipping issue due to signature requirement and they were able to resolve it, great company to deal with.

I've never ordered something from outside the US but have heard of being charged import or customs fees. Was that the case for ordering the Lagun table from these folks? If so, how much extra did it cost?

Thanks for your help.
Footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose View Post
I've never ordered something from outside the US but have heard of being charged import or customs fees. Was that the case for ordering the Lagun table from these folks? If so, how much extra did it cost?

Thanks for your help.
I bought some items for Eberspacher, Lagun Table from UK and there were no additional charges.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #30
Platinum Member

I got mine last month from Marine Teak, and there were no upcharges or hassles.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #31
Platinum Member

There were no additional duty charges when I ordered and I have not seen any on other orders I have gotten from the China, UK, and Germany in the last few years. I have always assumed their might be a duty charge but I have never seen one yet.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #32

Quote:
I bought some items for Eberspacher, Lagun Table from UK and there were no additional charges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I got mine last month from Marine Teak, and there were no upcharges or hassles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
There were no additional duty charges when I ordered and I have not seen any on other orders I have gotten from the China, UK, and Germany in the last few years. I have always assumed their might be a duty charge but I have never seen one yet.

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful and so fast, too.
My daughter is staying in Spain for a couple of years, and the hassles and added fees for her to receive anything from outside the EU are huge. It had me worried.
Footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Pic of the Lagun table which replaced my older pedestal table - today was the first day I did any actual work with this rear updated configuration. The Lagun is mounted closer to the TV, which doubles as my rear second monitor. Both the TV wall mount and the Lagun swivel, so this combo is very adjustable and much more convenient than having to stretch the TV over to the fixed pedestal version which was installed more toward the center of the rear couches.

In preparation for an extended off-grid trip, I'm stress testing our electrical system today, as it has been about a year since I've had to put it under full loads in summer heat. I've inset a BMS grab lower right, as I had the air conditioner running off the lithium battery (plus computer, TV, and a few other small items). Sixteen amps in (solar), 108 amps going out.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Groovy set-up!
Old 09-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #35
Silver Member

Has anyone come across a v channel that will accept the lagun vertical tube? On a road trip I did see some at a hardware store. I shoulda bought it since I haven't seen any since. It was the same size as the original. I even brought it to the van to make sure.

I'm thinking of redoing my current mount with dzus fasteners so I can move it quickly to a new location if need be.
Etzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #36
Platinum Member

I haven't seen any such channel. I went the path of least resistance and bought a second mounting plate from the Lagun seller. I think it was about 50 bucks. So I have one receiver at each end of the van.

I'd like to see your design, if you are able to do it.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Lagun has custom aluminum extrusions as far as I know.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #38
Platinum Member

I just installed one last weekend. This thing is well worth the cash if you have a tight space.

When installing, my main worry was getting everything straight, level and at the correct height. I measured for a few hours and trying different heights.

Once I knew where it was going to go, I had to make a spacer as my countertop has a bit of an overhang. I had some left over PVC board from an unrelated project that was 3/4 inch and wouldn't require any finish work and was the exact size I needed.

I knew I was going to have two issues from the beginning: 1. The supplied bolts weren't long enough with the spacer 2. There isn't much clearance for the nuts with the fridge. I decided to cut recesses in the frame large enough for the washers and bolts. There is still plenty of material left, don't worry

We have a 9 day trip coming up in about a week and I wanted something quick so I took some advice from a member on a different forum and bought a $7 ikea door. I went with 21x30. The 21 width is pretty much perfect, but 30 may be a bit long. Our issue is the kitchen cabinets sit up a bit higher than your van, so to position the table at a comfortable height, we need to lower the table, but then you can't swing it over the kitchen counter. The passenger can get out easily, but the driver has to move over to the passenger seat, then slide out bench style. We can adjust the height for the seats, but them my wife's feet don't touch. This allows up to put the table over our counter to both can easily get in and out. An added bonus is that it can act as a counter extension as well. Over all I'm very pleased with how this turned out.

nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Nice job. I would have put a thin metal backer plate behind those bolts. I realize you have a fridge there with space limitations, but I'd worry about the resulting moment arm.

I learned the hard way that sharp corners are not ideal with these things. My original table top was rectangular, but I disassembled it, stripped off my hand-sewn edge binding, rounded the corners and re-bound. A heck of a lot of work to show for my lack of foresight.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #40
Silver Member

I would redo the mounting using T nuts.
Etzu is offline   Reply With Quote