Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 01:40 AM   #1
Lou
Platinum Member

Default Less wrapping and fewer clinks

My husband put together a set of cubbyholes for our mugs.
When in the van, we drive every day and so we are constantly wrapping or unwrapping things or listening to the clinking.
We wanted something that was light, wouldn't absorb moisture and fit the mugs exactly so they wouldn't move around.
This plastic is left over from building a cold frame. We think it is called coroplast.
The back of the box is slanted like the back of our cupboard. The centre shelf was notched like a wine box insert. It was held together with ledges and slim nails into the plastic channels. Then it was all hot glued.
If my photo uploads successfully, you will see it sitting in the middle of an empty shelf. The plan was to put it in the corner but then I realized I can put other things that clink (eg. coffee pot), on either side of it and not have to wrap them. There is room in front of the box for a loaf of bread and I can still grab my coffee mug! Without all of the wrapping the cupboard seems more spacious.
Travelling in such a small space it is great to get rid of small daily annoyances.
In case you wondered, two ceramic coffee mugs, two mugs for milk etc as glasses were too tippy in a small space and two beer glasses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07619.jpg (24.3 KB, 341 views)
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Less wrapping and fewer clinks

Looks good and saves space. Any chance of the mugs sliding out or is it a snug fit or non slip etc?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:44 AM   #3
Lou
Platinum Member

Built to fit mugs very tightly. Will be putting non slip back on whole cupboard floor and inside cubby just under 2 red glasses.

Previously, we had two very thin boards (about 1/4 cupboard height) that overlapped each other at the centre bar of cupboard. You just reached over or slid one behind the other for complete access. I am wondering if we still need them. We always attach a velcro strip between the two cupboard handles (for insurance) when we are driving.
It is all probably overdoing it but I once saw a trailer kitchen cupboard that had come open on a bad road and I would never want to have to clean up that mess.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Using that coroplast is a good idea. It's very light weight and won't breakdown overtime like cardboard.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote