Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Light weight material.

Interesting material, edge will likely by glued on. I could not trace the company product distribution so I doubt it is available in NA. The factory floor in my passenger van was made from a similar material, at least looking from the edge. See the picture.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GRE13183.jpg (360.3 KB, 8 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Advanced RV built my battery box and my portable table with similar lightweight construction. They vacuum form radiused cabinet corners extensively like what you see in that video. I don't know if some of them are lightweight construction because they can do solid radiusing.

Isn't the new Winnebago ERA-B making extensive lightweight efforts in their cabinetry.

If necessary I suspect manufacturers will employ such techniques. I don't think the technology is exclusive to Europe. Sprinters may have the load capacity not needing those efforts as much. So no urgency. I suspect the Promasters may need such efforts.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Pressure for low weight is much higher in EU due to the cost of fuel. In most expensive Norway gasoline is 3.35 times more expensive than in NA, it is $8.86/gal, ouch. This would be a wakeup call for NA RV manufacturers.

Travelling in EU I noticed that the travel trailers, the caravans have structurally engineered frames, like this one Caravan Chassis ยป AL-KO to reduce the weight. In NA a couple of I-beams is good enough. Another example for weight constrain is lack of slide-outs, simply too heavy.

Gasoline prices in Europe 23-Oct-2017 | GlobalPetrolPrices.com

I think this is the material. a friend on another forum found this description. RENOLIT COMPOSITES - Honeycomb structure
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote