Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Looking to replace my flooring...

I have an '07 Roadtrek Agile and the carpet is gross. Anyone know what this black/brown underlayment /subfloor is? Can I nail to it? Will it hold glue? There are small staples holding down the carpet now. I'm thinking or ripping out the carpet and vinyl, then running vinyl planks. I know it expands and contracts but it's only 4 boards wide so I doubt it will be a big concern. I want to nail/trim screw down the shoe molding though and I'm not sure about the subfloor...
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Go to photos and page 7, under Formerly 04' Rialta to see what was under my carpet. I replaced my carpet with cork flooring and used luan board over the ribs in the floor. If you look at the photos, there are metal ribs in the floor that you have to fill in the space and then overlay with luan board. Your flooring may not be ribbed. The cork flooring had interlocking groves and I used 1/4 round molding around the edges. I drilled small holes in the 1/4 round (to keep from splitting the material) and used metal screws at a 45* angle to secure. I never had any problems with heat or cold expansion. The floor will not be warm under your feet but we used small rugs in certain areas where needed.

MLogan

Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
The floor will not be warm under your feet but we used small rugs in certain areas where needed.
Our pop out camper had a bare aluminum plank floor -- talk about cold feet! It was a very simple camper so our simple solution was to custom fit grey foam (puzzle) floor panels from Harbor Freight. It was easy to do. The flooring cleans up fine, held up to a dog, and is cushy and warm to walk on.

This floor would be simple to replace, but we never needed to. For our Travato K I made a removable foam "tray" for the shower room. It protects the shower pan and is nice to stand on. You all might desire a floor that looks fancier, but this stuff works great and is inexpensive.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
Gold Member

So who knows what this subfloor material is? Anyone?
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:25 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfelipe View Post
So who knows what this subfloor material is? Anyone?
Probably only someone who's got your exact model and has removed the carpet as you have would know. My Airstream (on a Chevy chassis) has either 5/8" or 3/4" plywood.

Maybe you can look under one of the rear seats where a hole was drilled when Roadtrek installed original wiring or plumbing. Just don't remove any sealant which would make an opening (unless you seal it back) and make sure all ac power, generator, inverter etc. are off when you're in there.

Ultimately you must decide if you can go over what you have, or remove it until you reach the base subfloor. Then you need to determine how thick your sub-flooring is and don't drive any nails/screws/staples deeper than it because you won't know what lies below.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote