Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 11:28 PM   #1

Default Loose RoadTrek Ground Effects

I had loose ground effects panels on my 2003 Chevy based 190 Popular. I was worried that I might have one come loose and fly off. The attached PDF shows how I tackled the problem.
I also had a hole in the drivers side corner of the back bumper cover. There was a piece about the size of my fist knocked out as a result of backing into a fire-pit enclosure. Luckily I had saved the piece. I attached the piece at the same time, using a heat gun and a small welding iron to weld the plastic. I followed up with some body filler on the outside, a lot of sanding, and repainted it with a rattle-can custom filled to match the paint code listed in the driver's doorpost. I am very satisfied with the final results, although I am NOT a body man or painter. Sorry I took no pictures of the bumper fix.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Repairing Loose Ground Effects.pdf (933.4 KB, 86 views)
JEmmelkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nice writeup. I have a few loose panels needing some TLC, this will help.

One quick fix for the metal clips at the bottom of the panels is the small black metal binder clips you can get just about any place that sells office supplies. Not a long term solution, but something that will hold the panel in place until you have the chance to do something more permanent.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

That's some good work right there!
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEmmelkamp View Post
I had loose ground effects panels on my 2003 Chevy based 190 Popular. I was worried that I might have one come loose and fly off. The attached PDF shows how I tackled the problem.
I also had a hole in the drivers side corner of the back bumper cover. There was a piece about the size of my fist knocked out as a result of backing into a fire-pit enclosure. Luckily I had saved the piece. I attached the piece at the same time, using a heat gun and a small welding iron to weld the plastic. I followed up with some body filler on the outside, a lot of sanding, and repainted it with a rattle-can custom filled to match the paint code listed in the driver's doorpost. I am very satisfied with the final results, although I am NOT a body man or painter. Sorry I took no pictures of the bumper fix.
It appears that your solution is 'better than new'. Do you agree?

Thanks.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #5

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I can't really say "better than new". What I can say is that my panels are probably not going to fall off or have the mounting points wear out.
Gryphon mentioned using metal spring clips, but they will also rust & weaken whereas the plastic clips I used won't.
JEmmelkamp is offline   Reply With Quote