Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Advanced RV installed a macerator toilet in one of their 144" WB RVs. I think I used it as a prop when I was mocking up our van last year.
Thanks for that info. I noticed in ARV video of the three 144 builds that ARVEE had a macerator toilet. I also noticed in the video of your MIES mockup that they used a similar Thetford macerator toilet. Did not know it came from ARVEE. Here is link to details of that toilet.

https://www.thetford.com/product/silence-plus-2g/

If I have ARV build my next van with a rear layout like BUCKY it would likely need a macerator toilet like ARVEE to get waste to the tank in front of the rear wheels. I do not want a composting toilet like Sue used in BUCKY.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Thanks for that info. I noticed in ARV video of the three 144 builds that ARVEE had a macerator toilet. I also noticed in the video of your MIES mockup that they used a similar Thetford macerator toilet. Did not know it came from ARVEE. Here is link to details of that toilet.

https://www.thetford.com/product/silence-plus-2g/

If I have ARV build my next van with a rear layout like BUCKY it would likely need a macerator toilet like ARVEE to get waste to the tank in front of the rear wheels. I do not want a composting toilet like Sue used in BUCKY.
I'm just speculating that may have been the macerator toilet used in ARVEE since they had it around in the shop long before ARVEE was built and we grabbed it for a prop. I may have to have one too since my toilet is back behind the rear axle. I could also have a cassette toilet with inside cassette access instead of through the van wall access if I can bring myself to it. I can't see the use of composting toilets. As I said before, I am not about to to an "About Schmidt".
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:43 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm just speculating that may have been the macerator toilet used in ARVEE since they had it around in the shop long before ARVEE was built and we grabbed it for a prop. I may have to have one too since my toilet is back behind the rear axle. I could also have a cassette toilet with inside cassette access instead of through the van wall access if I can bring myself to it. I can't see the use of composting toilets. As I said before, I am not about to to an "About Schmidt".
Davydd with a cassette toilet, that would be something, I would have to look outside to see if any pigs were flying by...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
It is the same version of toilet in ARVEE and your MIES mock-up. I can tell from the images in both videos.

A cassette would also work, but I don't like the idea of lugging a 40 lb. waste tank out of the back door to dump it. I guess it works for some folks, but I'm getting too old to easily carry that tank.

The composting toilets certainly have their use - but not in any van I will own.

At this point I think the best solution for my use would be a macterator toilet into a combined single black/gray tank. With ARV's BUCKY having 36 gallons of fresh water and a 40 gallon waste tank that is plenty for my travel needs.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:33 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
It is the same version of toilet in ARVEE and your MIES mock-up. I can tell from the images in both videos.

A cassette would also work, but I don't like the idea of lugging a 40 lb. waste tank out of the back door to dump it. I guess it works for some folks, but I'm getting too old to easily carry that tank.

The composting toilets certainly have their use - but not in any van I will own.

At this point I think the best solution for my use would be a macterator toilet into a combined single black/gray tank. With ARV's BUCKY having 36 gallons of fresh water and a 40 gallon waste tank that is plenty for my travel needs.
Carrying a 40 lb cassette a ways to the campground toilet to dump it is how this 70 year old gets his exercise.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:47 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Carrying a 40 lb cassette a ways to the campground toilet to dump it is how this 70 year old gets his exercise.
Good for you! This 70 year old will continue to use my 50 lb. Kettle Bell to exercise.

... and laughing is what I did when watching the end of this FitRv video about cassette toilets...

https://youtu.be/s-Z8DdrtuVo
Old 03-30-2019, 11:50 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
They do have wheels like a carry-on suitcase and I would prefer just going to a dump station than a toilet room water closet. You can dump when you dump your grey tank. I'm not keen on mixing grey and black. You have at least 3 points, bathroom sink, galley sink and shower/bathroom floor where odors can come back to you and grey tank smells like rotten eggs and rubber are at least tolerable in the short run. I doubt a combination will be as forgiving. I would still desire a black tank. BTW, I know as I had a combined grey/black in my vintage 1972 Airstream trailer.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:02 AM   #28
Site Team

As I have reported before, I have first hand experience with both a combined gray/black tank and separate tanks, and I can report that a combined tank is far superior in every way.

And, we all know how important first hand experience is.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:12 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good for you! This 70 year old will continue to use my 50 lb. Kettle Bell to exercise.

... and laughing is what I did when watching the end of this FitRv video about cassette toilets...

https://youtu.be/s-Z8DdrtuVo
I have never had an issue dumping our cassette anywhere including regular toilets at our home but the dump spout on the standard cassette is better than the one on that Curve Porta Potty FitRV used.

In any case, to each his own, whatever works for you is the way to go...
Old 03-31-2019, 12:40 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have never had an issue dumping our cassette anywhere including regular toilets at our home but the dump spout on the standard cassette is better than the one on that Curve Porta Potty FitRV used.

In any case, to each his own, whatever works for you is the way to go...
There are many purposely misleading or simply uneducated videos or reviews on porta potties or cassette toilets. I saw a video of a Curve Porta Potti evaluation by a fellow. He dumped his goodies while not pushing on the vent button so the stuff gurgled all over. I think this one was by a fellow who didn’t read a manual.

I don’t have a patience for Fit RV folks, just not my cup of tea. We have many ambassadors, way too many to spent time to diligently decode their massages.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote