Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default mod to prep generator for storage

Having spent a great deal of time working on small engines, I decided to install a mod to treat the small engine in the generator for storage.
I was installing a new fuel pump in the tank, so it was a great time to do this.
I installed a 2 way shutoff valve in the fuel supply line coming from the main fuel tank to the generator. This way I can turn the handle to the line coming from the main tank and it flows out the back port to the generator as normal. When getting ready for storage, I take an old lawn mower gas tank --mix up some StaBil and gas for the small tank--feed the line from the small tank to the other port on the valve--turn the handle to that line--and run the generator on the StaBil mixture to prep it for storage. When I am done--turn the handle to the off position--disconnect the lawnmower tank--put the white end cap on the unused line--and ready for extended storage with no worries on the gas gunking up the generator carburetor.
I also installed a fuel filter inline to help keep the carburetor clean as well.
The mounting point was easy, since there was still an original unused exhaust hanger there to mount the valve to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170902_120703881.jpg (251.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170902_120712878.jpg (183.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170902_150924474.jpg (153.1 KB, 11 views)
scootertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Are you going to run the carb bowl dry, no fuel in the jets?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We had a similar system that I put in about 7 years ago when we still had an Onan, worked great. There was a QD located in the wheelwell with a the 3 way valve there. We had a camping gas bottle we carried so we could even preserve on the Road or get Seafoam into the genny if it acted up. I think you will find it a great addition. You may want to consider a mix of Stabil and Seafoam when you go into storage, as that will also help clean up any gunk that may have formed over the usage months, as the ethanol laced fuels are death to Onans. We finally went generator free and all batteries and solar so we wouldn't have to deal with the Onan, and have not regretted it for an moment. Of course we don't need AC, so your results could be otherwise.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
Platinum Member

What would you all recommend for a Onan 2800 generator going into indefinite dry storage?
It has been removed from the rig..
I drained the gas from the bowl of the carb - what else can I do?
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:44 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
What would you all recommend for a Onan 2800 generator going into indefinite dry storage?
It has been removed from the rig..
I drained the gas from the bowl of the carb - what else can I do?
Draining the bowl will do better than just running it until it quits, but sometimes you can drain the bowl after stopping the engine with it warm, and then get it to restart for a few seconds when which would pull out the rest of the fuel in the passages.

Whatever way you do it, try to use pure gas with no ethanol if you can get some, for the last time you run it.

For long term storage, slip ring corrosion is probably a bigger issue, as it is a very expensive repair compared to a new carb. Storing in a climate controlled area with low humidity and temp swings will help a lot. You might even put it in an engine bag, like they do rebuilt engines, with some dessicant, and seal it up.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:04 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I found that running the StaBil mixture and leaving gas in the carb seems to work .They may run rough on startup with the old gas--but they start right up and when the old gas is gone they run fine.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:10 AM   #7
Bronze Member

For long term storage I would use a fogging oil in the engine. The routine usually includes spraying it into the air intake when running--then removing the plugs and spraying it into the cylinders as well. Even if you don't spray it into the intake hen running--it will help.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:29 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertramp View Post
I found that running the StaBil mixture and leaving gas in the carb seems to work .They may run rough on startup with the old gas--but they start right up and when the old gas is gone they run fine.
I don't think that will work for long term storage though, as the gas and Stabil will still dry out. I think Stabil says good for a year with pure gas, that last time I looked.

I do the same, though, as I believe the carbs and gaskets stay better wet and preserved for over a winter, or less than a year stored.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

When we prepare aircraft engines for long term storage (more than one yr),
we would pour oil into the spark plug hole to make sure all the metal surfaces are coated with oil.

You can't do too much for the carb; you have to rebuild it later.
If you drain the carb, the seals will dry out.
If you don't drain it, the gas will evaporate and left you with gums and varnishes.