Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2022, 09:05 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default My Quirky Little Lighting Addition

I titled this thread this way because it may be a non-issue to most

To me, it's annoying to back into a dark campground trying to figure out how near or far the side of the van is from the utility hook-ups, edge timbers, etc. I decided to install some convenience lighting vs wife out there with a flashlight.

I've used these 6-LED lights for courtesy and back-up lighting on our pickup and have already installed them as back-ups on the van. They're cheap, about $16 for two lights, draw very low amperage, and for us, have lasted a long time.

They're the white lights below the additional brake/tail-light assembly on the van. In this case they are supplemental back-up lights, simply wired into the reverse light circuit. This stuff is all attached to a bracket that goes into the receiver - I never tow anything, but if I did, I can just flip the bracket so the ball is up.

[IMG][/IMG]

I considered a number of locations, even in the rear wheelwells, but finally decided to install each light into the bottom of each rear storage compartment. Very simple. The frame of the rear hitch is below these lights so if I back over something low, that will hit first.

You can see the light peeking out from under the compartment. They look a bit more hidden than they actually are.

I spliced into the 20a circuit that feeds power to the ODB port and the cigarette lighter, but I did add an inline 5a fuse to the new lights. While I was installing the switch, I also installed a second switch in case I ever wanted to add another low-amperage device. These are the small red and green switches in the lower dash panel. They illuminate when switched on. The reason I chose this circuit was that it is constant-hot, so if I needed to switch on the side lights while parked, I didn't need to turn the van ignition on. The switches are each rated for 10a - in this case I saw no need for a relay.

The two new small switches added to the panel, power/USB outlets at the right, the long vertical red switch is the remote switch to the Blue Sea battery separator.

I'll maybe get a broader campground/night shot but these light up that rear side area quite well. This was in the garage with light coming in from the upper door clear panel.

[IMG][/IMG]

The worst part of all this was fiddling around underneath running a loom for the power wire from front to back lol.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

pretty easy to pick up power from the chevy tail lights or the tow harness for supplemental lighting (or back up camera)

these circuits were designed for incandescent lamps, switching to led leaves capacity for extra lighting

having owned old cadillacs and lincolns, I appreciate the cornering lights !

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:28 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I always liked those cornering lights too!
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:43 AM   #4
Platinum Member

on the 66 Cadillac, if you hit the turn signal when turning motor off, the cornering light on that side will stay on for 45 seconds to light the walkway to the front door.

very handy

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote