Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #21
Gold Member

Booster

Thanks I will that and yes I do have aftermarket alum rims may have to start shopping. Sounds like my driving style!
Buc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #22

Interesting. I installed Bilsteins on our 2014 Roadtrek 190P back in 2019, but did not notice nearly as big a difference as I did when I added SumoSprings this year. I'm very happy with the current ride, but will consider adding the rear sway bar.
jamesv999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #23
Gold Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesv999 View Post
Interesting. I installed Bilsteins on our 2014 Roadtrek 190P back in 2019, but did not notice nearly as big a difference as I did when I added SumoSprings this year. I'm very happy with the current ride, but will consider adding the rear sway bar.
My RT only has 30K miles on it and I bought it new from the moment of the test drive to driving it home it was a white knuckle experience. Lots of bounce, sway, tipsy feeling, brake dive, and getting pushed around passing trucks you named it I had it. When I removed stock shock they were not leaking but did seem to be weak to me. After I installed the test drive put a huge smile on my face and fixed all my issue except for low ground clearance. I could not believe adding Bilstein shocks could make this big of a difference.

When I installed the Hellwig sway bars improved the handling even more to the point it is still hard to believe this 5 ton high profile van could drive and handle this well. I have taken the RT for 3 test drives and everytime I come back so impressed. This morning I drove some 2 lane back roads with lots of curves and again was impressed.
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Old 12-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #24
Platinum Member

04C190P Already put on Bilsteins but would still like to improve the mountain driving experience. I find myself actually slowing down to the posted warning sign speed around curves - a new experience for me. Feels tipsy. It sounds like a rear sway bar might do the trick.

I've searched for this mod in this forum, and have one question - it sounds like the Hellwig 7635 is a good choice. I do have the original Onan generator, am I going to have issues with that?
Old 12-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #25
Gold Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauscs View Post
04C190P Already put on Bilsteins but would still like to improve the mountain driving experience. I find myself actually slowing down to the posted warning sign speed around curves - a new experience for me. Feels tipsy. It sounds like a rear sway bar might do the trick.

I've searched for this mod in this forum, and have one question - it sounds like the Hellwig 7635 is a good choice. I do have the original Onan generator, am I going to have issues with that?
I only have the underhood generator so it fit mine, but what I read that Hellwig will not fit without mods. There is another brand that will fit but is almost twice the cost, but I did see a u tube video of a 190 owner who was able to move his Onan generator back so the Hellwig 7635 would fit. I believe you should be able to find video under Express 3500 sway bar install. It is the one I watched before deciding if I wanted to tackle the install on my 2014 chassis RT.

My plan was to first install shocks and sway bar then tackle the Airbag in the rear and springs up front in March/April. Now my RT handles and rides so well I am afraid to take the step in case it rides and handles differently with addition of the springs. I am just mad at myself for waiting 4 years to install Bilstein shocks and Hellwig 7635 sway bar my RT handles so well even the wife noticed when we went for bite to eat yesterday about the lack of tipsy feeling and stable it felt on the interstate.
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Old 12-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Tip: be sure strength of replacement bolts match those in kit. High strength bolt heads are marked with universal symbols. Unmarked heads are the weakest.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #27
Silver Member

Rest assured the ride should be close to the same with new springs and air bags if not better. 2008 Chevy PW. I like a higher vehicle for off road exploring. I waited too long to raise this one and broke a few things over the years. I installed Moog 81004 springs in front and Air Lifts in rear. Gained 2.5 inches in height. Rides good but I might replace the Bilsteins well over 100K on them. Haven't installed a sway bar yet but maybe this year.
Stay safe, Stay kind, Stay cool
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote