Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Question OBD live display monitor for Sprinter?

There is so little information on the 2006-2018 Sprinters. Mercedes relies on warning lights. I'd like to know what's going on under the hood, before it happens. Has anyone connected a plug to the OBD port and run a wire to a dash-top, dedicated monitor? What brand? Price?
david@davidfischer.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Most people seem to use the ScanGuage 2:

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

Simple, relatively cheap, and programmable.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:51 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Hi Avanti, Thanks! However, I'd like a OBD that also displays engine (water) temp, and oil pressure. Got any other suggesations. Again, thanks
Old 02-21-2020, 12:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by david@davidfischer.com View Post
Hi Avanti, Thanks! However, I'd like a OBD that also displays engine (water) temp, and oil pressure. Got any other suggesations. Again, thanks
The ScanGauge can certainly display water temperature, and many other parameters as well. There are libraries of codes that you can use to program the device for all kinds of parameters, including things like DEF level and DPF regen temperature. Exactly what is available varies by engine type, but there are many.

I am not sure you will find oil pressure, though. I don't believe that the Sprinter even has an oil pressure sensor. That probably seems strange, but I guess it is not a failure mode that the engineers believed to be plausible. As far as I know, they were right.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:08 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Very kind of you to reply. I'll take your advice and dig deeper into the ScanGauge's capabilities. Thanks again
Old 02-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I haven't gotten this yet, but it looks like you could user config the info on a real dash display. I may get one in the next purchasing authorization ( when my wife is out of town ). Here is Amazon's offering:

https://www.amazon.com/UltraGauge-Au...484564&sr=8-11

I'll post if / when I get one.

Cheers
j
roadbiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker1 View Post
I haven't gotten this yet, but it looks like you could user config the info on a real dash display. I may get one in the next purchasing authorization ( when my wife is out of town ).
Yep. That is the second most popular one. I don't have one, either, but by all accounts it works fine.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have had both the ScanGauge and the UltraGauge. I prefer the UltraGauge.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

Attached image of an example display layout from UltraGauge. I use a three page setup to monitor all the available engine and environment parameters.

Attached photo from my driver seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UltrGaugeDisplay.JPG (26.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DashDisplays.jpg (181.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Depending on how tech-savvy you are, and what you want to do with all that information there is also the option to use a bluetooth or wifi OBD2 interface module, in combination with e.g. an Android Tablet/Phone/Head Unit.
There are various apps available for Android (and also some for iPhone/iPad if you use that).
I myself have an Android based Head Unit (Radio/CD/Bluetooth/Navigation etc.), and use the Torque Pro app on it.
It took me some time to figure out, but have it working pretty stable now. I even got the Transmission Fluid Temperature to display on it.

Tip: The OBD2 Power is allways on on the Sprinter OBD ports. This means that if you use some sort of dongle, it may not power down automatically when you stop the engine. This could drain the battery. This is valid, for all OBD monitors, not as much with the ScanGauge and Ultragauge I understand, but certainly with the cheap Chinese ELM327 interfaces.

Cost for my setup:
- 6.95 For a cheap Chinese ELM327 Bluetooth interface dongle.
- 4.95 for a switch to disconnect the OBD dongle from 12vdc manually.
- Theoretically a couple bucks for the Torque Pro app, but on my head unit it came pre-installed.
henknoordermeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:54 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henknoordermeer View Post
Depending on how tech-savvy you are, and what you want to do with all that information there is also the option to use a bluetooth or wifi OBD2 interface module, in combination with e.g. an Android Tablet/Phone/Head Unit.
There are various apps available for Android (and also some for iPhone/iPad if you use that).
I myself have an Android based Head Unit (Radio/CD/Bluetooth/Navigation etc.), and use the Torque Pro app on it.
It took me some time to figure out, but have it working pretty stable now. I even got the Transmission Fluid Temperature to display on it.

Tip: The OBD2 Power is allways on on the Sprinter OBD ports. This means that if you use some sort of dongle, it may not power down automatically when you stop the engine. This could drain the battery. This is valid, for all OBD monitors, not as much with the ScanGauge and Ultragauge I understand, but certainly with the cheap Chinese ELM327 interfaces.

Cost for my setup:
- 6.95 For a cheap Chinese ELM327 Bluetooth interface dongle.
- 4.95 for a switch to disconnect the OBD dongle from 12vdc manually.
- Theoretically a couple bucks for the Torque Pro app, but on my head unit it came pre-installed.
Having the data available on the head unit is a great solution. What head unit are you using?
Old 02-25-2020, 12:21 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Having the data available on the head unit is a great solution. What head unit are you using?

I installed this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254343041104

It has a cambus decoder, so switches on and off with the ignition and lights are synced.
Supposedly the steering wheel buttons will work if you have those ( I dont)
It has a GPS receiver and wifi and bluetooth, so you can use all kinds of apps for entertainment and navigation etc.
I also installed the rearview camera that turns on automatically when reversing or manually.

I am really happy with the unit.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:06 AM   #12

Hi, I'm new to the Forum, and glad I found it. I'm interested in purchasing an RV on Sprinter chassis, and my research shows a lot of owners suggesting you buy an OBD that will reset fault codes for emergency use, due to some faults limiting you to ten starts, unfortunate when in very remote locations, and where there may not be Mercedes support. Will any of the units mentioned above clear faults until you can get to a proper service center? Thank you.
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:40 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Hi, I'm new to the Forum, and glad I found it. I'm interested in purchasing an RV on Sprinter chassis, and my research shows a lot of owners suggesting you buy an OBD that will reset fault codes for emergency use, due to some faults limiting you to ten starts, unfortunate when in very remote locations, and where there may not be Mercedes support. Will any of the units mentioned above clear faults until you can get to a proper service center? Thank you.
Not that I'm aware of. They will show some codes, but I don't think they can clear something like a 10 start countdown due to a DEF system problem.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:51 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Not that I'm aware of. They will show some codes, but I don't think they can clear something like a 10 start countdown due to a DEF system problem.
Correct. The infamous "10 starts" (which isn't always 10) can only be reset with a SCN code direct from Mercedes. The best you can do is to get a clone Star Diagnostics system running on a laptop. Even then, you can only add 5 starts. Some of the high-end readers may be able to do that too.

There is a guy on eBay who sells a device that you plug into the OBD slot on an NCV3 that he claims will reset a 10-start condition. I have never heard of anyone who has confirmed that it actually works. I am skeptical.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #15
Platinum Member

We have had so many issues with our 2006 Sprinter engine (including total long block replacement) that we dedicated an 8-year-old iPad to the OBD read-out, mounting it in the dash. You can see it in the night shot image below, which was taken during our fourth annual cross-continent trip (I'm a big fan of tech, obviously, from the number of monitoring devices displayed).

Originally we were using a Carista Bluetooth OBD device to broadcast to this iPad. The problem with the Carista is, if you forget to detach it, it can drain your battery (ask me how I know this).

We switched from the Carista to an iCar Pro, which does turn itself off to prevent battery drain. However, the iCar comes with its own annoyances. Unlike the Carista, it does not like the fact that I'm using an OBD Y-splitter because I'm also powering my OwlCam off the OBD port (as it was designed to do). On a regular basis, I have to fuss with it to get it to turn on.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henknoordermeer View Post
.............. I even got the Transmission Fluid Temperature to display on it. ................

Just wondering if you compared the transmission fluid temperature reported from Torque Pro to any other device or app.

I ask because, while I could get it to display for a Ford, it reported a different temperature than my Scangauge. Forscan, the dedicate Ford app reported the exact same temperature as Scangauge.

I tried a few Torque equations that I found on forums but none agreed with Scangauge or Forscan. TFT was not something I wanted to guess at so I gave up on using that App.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
We have had so many issues with our 2006 Sprinter engine (including total long block replacement) that we dedicated an 8-year-old iPad to the OBD read-out, mounting it in the dash. . . .
Thanks IB - great use for an old iPad. I have an old Mini-iPad that would be just right for such an application.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Just wondering if you compared the transmission fluid temperature reported from Torque Pro to any other device or app.

I ask because, while I could get it to display for a Ford, it reported a different temperature than my Scangauge. Forscan, the dedicate Ford app reported the exact same temperature as Scangauge.

I tried a few Torque equations that I found on forums but none agreed with Scangauge or Forscan. TFT was not something I wanted to guess at so I gave up on using that App.
I have not verified in detail yet, since I only got it to work recently. It is showing same temperature as the coolant temp when parked. I haven't driven it yet since, so can not say if it varies from Coolant temperatures. From what i have been reading, TFT reads the same as coolant temperature when cold/parked and then stays close to the coolant temp. I will report back with my findings after I drive it, if I remember.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #19

My 2017 gives me DEF level, oil level, water temp, tire pressure. I would consider those key readings.
MaxCapacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:33 PM   #20
Gold Member

I’d add a vote for a tiny Bluetooth (not wifi) OBD II dongle. The no name one I bought on Amazon has an on off button, easier for pairing. I use an iPad and the DashCommand app as the user interface. Can reset simple codes, and run several dashboard views while you drive. DashCommand will also run the pairing so you don’t have to go into iPad settings to connect.

I also use the iPad as my main GPS with a Bluetooth GPS antenna puck and the Co-pilot app. alas, I can’t use one iPad for both apps at the same time so I go back and forth based on whether I need gps directions. If you have an iPad with a SIM card, it has a built in GPS antenna, but for wifi-only iPads you need the puck.

The beauty of using an iPad vs a dedicated screen for each function is that it saves tons of investment and you can upgrade the sender or app as needed at a fraction of the cost of the alternatives.
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
display monitor, obd