Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 01:28 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default P-trap repair (1999 RT 190V)

I recently suffered a broken shower p-trap on my 1999 Roadtrek 190 Versatile and discovered to my dismay that it's not a standard plumbing part. Not only are the female threaded hubs on the u-bend side rather than the pipe side, the p-trap itself is 1-1/4" instead of the standard 1-1/2".

To make a long story short, I cut off the busted hub, bought a new female threaded connector to attach to the shower drain, and joined it to the p-trap with a rubber Fernco coupler. The rubber coupler was just big enough to stretch over the end of the p-trap. I also had to file the raised lettering off the p-trap to allow it to seal properly.

Just thought I'd post this fix, since it seems these oddball p-traps are fairly common especially on older RVs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_20200620_131906.jpg (119.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg tn_20200620_163042.jpg (125.5 KB, 21 views)
JDBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have the same problem on my RT. I can't figure out from the pics what the rubber Fernco coupler is attached to on the side that connects to the shower drain--where can I get the piece of pipe that the slip nut is on that seals to the shower drain. Links to the required parts from Home Depot, etc., would be very appreciated!
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:17 AM   #3
Bronze Member

This is the female adapter that connects to the shower drain:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Charlott...00HD/313834611

Then get the rubber Fernco coupler that just fits over the end of it. Also, I ended up needing to add a little bit of Kitchen and Bath silicone to help seal the Fernco coupler to the p-trap.

Best of luck!
Old 06-26-2021, 11:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I think you just glue in the threaded coupler with a short extension to the P-trap. I did it and made a spare. I am not near the unit now to take a picture. You don’t have to use a flexible coupler.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:23 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Thank you very much JDBrown for your original post and for your reply!

hbn7hj -
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I think you just glue in the threaded coupler with a short extension to the P-trap. I did it and made a spare. I am not near the unit now to take a picture. You don’t have to use a flexible coupler.
-- but how did you find the 1-1/4" p-trap? From my searches online they seem hard to find. Is it possible to buy in a hardware store or on Amazon? Is this it? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63278089

Thanks, again!
Old 06-27-2021, 02:48 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
Thank you very much JDBrown for your original post and for your reply!

hbn7hj - -- but how did you find the 1-1/4" p-trap? From my searches online they seem hard to find. Is it possible to buy in a hardware store or on Amazon? Is this it? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63278089

Thanks, again!
1-1/4 inch plumbing is standard bathroom vanity stuff. Any Lowes or HD or plumbing supply place will have it.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:50 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I found it at Lowe’s or ACE. Your link looks like it. I’ll look at my spare when I get home at the end of July.

My problem was the tubing overheating from the exhaust and melting. Had to wrap it in 1/2” fiberfrax and high temp tape.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:04 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
1-1/4 inch plumbing is standard bathroom vanity stuff. Any Lowes or HD or plumbing supply place will have it.
I wasn't able to find the 1-1/4 inch p-trap on the Lowes or Home Depot website. If you have a link, it would be much appreciated! It's the p-trap in the top picture in the original post above.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:50 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Go to the store. It is there.
Old 06-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
Platinum Member

One other question: do these kinds of pipes require some kind of a gasket or sealant to seal properly?
Old 06-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
One other question: do these kinds of pipes require some kind of a gasket or sealant to seal properly?
Nope, just glue in the waste and vent pipe adapter shown in the Nibco link.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #12
Platinum Member

OK - thanks everyone for your replies. After some reading online, I think I am understanding the problem that the original poster ran into with the roadtreks. Attached is a pic of the part in my 1999 Roadtrek 170 (glued back together though not very well). As I tried to indicate in the pic, the p-trap is 1-1/4". But I think the coupler is a 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" inch adapter, which I have not been able to find anywhere.

I could be misunderstanding how this is put togeter -- I am not at all familiar with these kinds of adapaters.

Any thoughts/comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rt-ptrap.jpg (87.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-27-2021, 05:18 PM   #13
Bronze Member

You are correct, RT-NY. The difficulty I had was in finding a 1-1/4" p-trap in the right configuration, and the right type of 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" adapter.

Home Depot and Lowes only had p-traps in the opposite configuration--that is, their p-traps had male threads on one end and a female slip connector on the other, rather than a threaded female swivel connector on one end and a female slip connector on the other, like I needed. I found the same issue at the local RV parts store. They told me that most RVs switched to using more standard pipe fittings several years ago, but back when mine was made they were still using specialty RV fittings.

I ran into much the same problem with the 1-1/4" male slip to 1-1/2" swivel female threaded adapter--Lowes and Home Depot simply didn't carry it. I couldn't even find either fitting on Amazon.

This is the reason I ended up going the route I did, with the solid 1-1/2" adapter and the Fernco coupler.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Thanks, JDBrown, for the detailed reply. I'm sure it will be helpful to other vintage RV owners!

So, you attached the Fernco coupler to the 1-1/2" adapter and screwed that into the drain. Then, after that was in place, you fit the p-trap into the Ferno coupler? Did you use the regular 1-1/2" Fernco coupler ? https://www.amazon.com/Fernco-P1056-.../dp/B00077PW36

Also, did you use a gaset or sealant on the p-trap slip connector end or between the adapter and the shower drain?
Old 06-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
OK - thanks everyone for your replies. After some reading online, I think I am understanding the problem that the original poster ran into with the roadtreks. Attached is a pic of the part in my 1999 Roadtrek 170 (glued back together though not very well). As I tried to indicate in the pic, the p-trap is 1-1/4". But I think the coupler is a 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" inch adapter, which I have not been able to find anywhere.

I could be misunderstanding how this is put togeter -- I am not at all familiar with these kinds of adapaters.

Any thoughts/comments?
The NIBCO link shows it in the bottom right. Order from them.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:19 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks, JDBrown, for the detailed reply. I'm sure it will be helpful to other vintage RV owners!

So, you attached the Fernco coupler to the 1-1/2" adapter and screwed that into the drain. Then, after that was in place, you fit the p-trap into the Ferno coupler?
Yes, that's correct.

Quote:
Did you use the regular 1-1/2" Fernco coupler ? https://www.amazon.com/Fernco-P1056-.../dp/B00077PW36
Yes.

Quote:
Also, did you use a gaset or sealant on the p-trap slip connector end or between the adapter and the shower drain?
I used silicone on the p-trap slip connector end. No sealant needed on the adapter end, because gravity is on your side there.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:29 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
The NIBCO link shows it in the bottom right. Order from them.
All I see on the NIBCO link is a 1-1/4" Spig x FIPT. What is needed is a hub on one end not a Spig and 1-1/2" on the other, not 1-1/4".
Old 06-27-2021, 09:55 PM   #18
Platinum Member

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63164966

You are correct. It doesn’t swivel. When I get home I’ll look at my spare and see if I can find another. I did get it at Lowe’s several years ago.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:17 AM   #19
Platinum Member

On closer examination and yet more reading online, I believe that what I thought was a single adapter from 1-1/4" to 1-1/2 " is actually two parts. I believe that there is a 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" bushing (https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63164826) fit inside a standard 1-1/2" hub x fpt swivel connector. I have attached a corrected picture.

I think I have found suppliers for all of the parts needed to put it together as it was originally, though JDBrown's solution is probably cheaper and easier! I will update when I get the parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rt-ptrap.jpg (96.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-29-2021, 09:00 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Nice, RT-NY! I applaud your dedication to fixing it right.