Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Painting Roadtrek Roof, Should I Remove Awning?

I am getting the fiberglass roof of my 2006 Roadtrek 210P painted. For those of you that painted your roof do you recommend removing the awning?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Haven’t looked at mine closely, but if you can remove the awning and leave the brackets in place, that’s what I’d do.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I am getting the fiberglass roof of my 2006 Roadtrek 210P painted. For those of you that painted your roof do you recommend removing the awning?

When I painted the roof of our 190 I removed the awning and one layer of brackets as there were two. I left the plates that were riveted though the roof so inside plates wouldn't drop into the ceiling. They don't show anyway and are easy to mask off.

What color are you painting?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
When I painted the roof of our 190 I removed the awning and one layer of brackets as there were two. I left the plates that were riveted though the roof so inside plates wouldn't drop into the ceiling. They don't show anyway and are easy to mask off.

What color are you painting?
Repainting same color: silver. Painting down to or slightly below the breakline just below the awning.

How is the awning attached to the plates? Is it easy remove and reattach?
Attached Images
File Type: png Roadtrek Picture2.png (566.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 12-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Repainting same color: silver. Painting down to or slightly below the breakline just below the awning.

How is the awning attached to the plates? Is it easy remove and reattach?

IIRC the outer bracket was on with a few pop rivets and the inner one with other ones that showed up after the out was off, but not positive. Only hard part was drilling out rivets. Once you have the awning off, ours had one rivet up from the bottom and then tilt out bottom and lift, you will be able to see closer.

If it it looks weird after the awning is off, masking over the the brackets wouldn't be horrible, too.

Silver is a tough color if it is high metallic. Really easy to get stripes.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
Bronze Member

If it is Fiamma there is a sheet metal screw on the bottom of each bracket that holds the awning on. Remove those screws and the awning will rotate up and off the upper lip of the bracket.
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
IIRC the outer bracket was on with a few pop rivets and the inner one with other ones that showed up after the out was off, but not positive. Only hard part was drilling out rivets. Once you have the awning off, ours had one rivet up from the bottom and then tilt out bottom and lift, you will be able to see closer.
My awning has 3/16" pop-rivets attaching it to the brackets. Van is at the shop now for roof painting. Also having driver door frame/fiberglass body fixed where the 210's fiberglass body separated from the original metal body.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Gold Member

If you don't mind telling, approximately how much for the repair/paint job? I've got to do something similar (repair & paint the area above the windshield - I applied BusKote to the very top of mine this summer so I don't need that area painted) on my 08210P. Thanks.
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwatters60 View Post
If you don't mind telling, approximately how much for the repair/paint job? I've got to do something similar (repair & paint the area above the windshield - I applied BusKote to the very top of mine this summer so I don't need that area painted) on my 08210P. Thanks.
In addition to the roof I also have water and rust damage to driver door frame where fiberglass shell meets original metal door frame. This repair is pretty significant from what I can tell. Also painting the tire cover and heater door. $2000 for all.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #10

I had my 2005 Roadtrek roof painted recently and only did the top from the AC dog house to the front drivers window, since that was the area of damage. Using the same paint as the original paint, a silver color. The finished product is beautiful. If you look hard you can see the line between old and new, but it still looks good. If you think different then add a accent grey decal strip along the line and the paint line becomes invisable.
CalCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:32 AM   #11

Quote:
In addition to the roof I also have water and rust damage to driver door frame where fiberglass shell meets original metal door frame. This repair is pretty significant from what I can tell. Also painting the tire cover and heater door. $2000 for all.
Wow compared to the pricing we got for painting the roof that is great! Where are you located? Have same problem with separation, but have yet to find any shop willing to repair.
dchristaortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCan View Post
I had my 2005 Roadtrek roof painted recently and only did the top from the AC dog house to the front drivers window, since that was the area of damage. Using the same paint as the original paint, a silver color. The finished product is beautiful. If you look hard you can see the line between old and new, but it still looks good. If you think different then add a accent grey decal strip along the line and the paint line becomes invisable.
We have 2006 Roadtrek and finding someone to paint roof at a reasonable price has been an ongoing challenge. Where/how did you find someone? Where are you located?
dchristaortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:47 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristaortiz View Post
We have 2006 Roadtrek and finding someone to paint roof at a reasonable price has been an ongoing challenge. Where/how did you find someone? Where are you located?
I am in Hampton Virginia. I will get the van back this week. I will post pictures and report how the quality and transaction went. I was referred to this shop by a local PPG automotive paint store employee that has helped me over the years. I was pleased with the price; just hope the job turns out well.