Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #1

Default Pleasureway cloth panel replacement

My 2003 Pleasureway Ford XLTS interior is holding up nicely, except the fabric on the entrance wall (see pic). I want to recover the wall, probably with a solid veneer to match the cabinetry, but I don't know how to disassemble this thing without damaging the trim or other parts. I like to do stuff myself, but not sure if this is too dangerous to tackle.
Does anyone have experience with this? Or should I just take it in to the professionals?

Thanks,
Victoria Camper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg van_interior.jpg (22.0 KB, 235 views)
VictoriaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #2

Default Update

I called Pleasureway and talked to Mike on the technical help desk. (I love that they have a help desk.) He couldn't offer any specific instructions, but did suggest that I carefully remove the screws and caulking and see if it comes apart. He recommended re-upholstering with vinyl instead of the original woven fabric, for better durability.
I guess this will be an "exploratory". I'll take pictures, and if successful, I'll post them here.
Wish me luck.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #3
Bronze Member

In case you feel inhibited by having to remove the existing panel and therewith running into problems you may not appreciate, another work around is to make a panel that is wrapped in Vinyl, and screw (or glue) that against the existing panel.

You can use thin plywood as a base. so that it doesnt make the addition too thick.
Make a template of the shape first in cardboard, then transfer that shape to the plywood and cut the shape. Wrap it in vinyl that you can glue on and wrap the edges of the vinyl around the plywood. Depending on the thickness of the plywood you could staple, but glueing should work also. Then either screw the panel over the old and voila, a new pretty look.

You could use those vinyl wrapped screw buttons to cover the screws and make is look like a tufted design. (like this)

Some inspiration for the project here.
henknoordermeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

Thanks Henk. That would be a good alternative if this removal gets complicated. Now that I think of it, I could even cut a piece of formica or similar hard material and apply that onto the wall. The trick would be to cut it neatly and accurately for a good fit. Your idea for a vinyl-wrapped surface might be a little more "forgiving".
Old 03-28-2019, 11:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaCamper View Post
Thanks Henk. That would be a good alternative if this removal gets complicated. Now that I think of it, I could even cut a piece of formica or similar hard material and apply that onto the wall. The trick would be to cut it neatly and accurately for a good fit. Your idea for a vinyl-wrapped surface might be a little more "forgiving".
you could run a rubber bead around the edge of a hard surface to hide imperfections, or some other flexible type molding that has a bulb type contour.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I pulled a panel by the door to install an assist handle on the outside on my Roadtrek. It was easy to get it off and as easy to get it back on. I doubt your unit is much different in its application. There are many fabrics that are as easy to maintain as vinyl. Just discourage white! Pop the screw covers off, unscrew, cover panel (not too heavy a fabric as will bunch up at corners and clip your corners with v shaped cut) and rescrew panel back on. Have fun!
bigoldbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
Bronze Member

I forgot. A hot glue gun REALLY helps to secure fabric to panel on back. I used to recover chair cushions, etc using staple gun. Now I use glue gun and never had a failure and that with folk sitting constantly on them. On your wall I can’t imagine failure of application. BTW, find glue gun great way to secure electric wires to counteract constant movement of RV. Used to have problems with running lights failing. Started hot gluing wires securely and no more problems.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #8

Default Progress!

I decided to try fabricating a panel cover, instead of taking it apart. Here are the basic steps I followed, and the pictures are shown below (sorry for the sideways pics):
1. Removed the lightswitch, handrail and fire extinguisher.
2. Started with a bunch of cardboard, pieced together with masking tape, to get the rough shape.
3. Traced that shape onto some thick paper, and carefully cut it to the correct shape to fit precisely. Cutouts for the lightswitch and fire extinguisher.
4. Traced the finished shape onto thin MDF, which I cut with a jigsaw.
5. Without finishing the MDF, I just placed it on the wall, held in place with the lightswitch, handrail and fire extinguisher. (I had to temporarily remove one green header above the side-door, and the weatherstripping, which were both very easy to deal with.)
6. Now I just need to place 3 or 4 extra screws to firmly hold the MDF in place.
7. While I had my template, I cut another MDF copy, which my wife has plans to upholster, but for now I think it looks pretty good just "naked".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0929.JPG (70.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0934.JPG (81.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0938.JPG (82.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0941.JPG (87.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0943.JPG (81.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 04-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Default Kind of fun, heh?

Good job. Was easier for me to just take off. Why? I always mess up the measurements! LOL It often surprises me when I see how others attack a problem. I LEARN A LOT!
Old 04-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Nice job! Looks good
henknoordermeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #11

I like you replacement of the entrance panel. I have a 2007 pleasure way and all the fabric walls are desintigrating, I am trying to determine the best way to recover these areas. Did you have the same problem on you other walls as well? I can not locate any attaching hardware.
floridabob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, pleasureway, repairs