Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Preventive Maintenance on Rear Crank-open Windows

Several people have had the rear crank-open windows detach from their hinge-piece mount and fall to the ground and break. Mine look like the window is well attached to the hinge piece. On the outside there are some minor gaps between the top of the window and the hinge piece. I plan to clean the joint and recaulk using Lexel (my favorite caulk).

Has anyone found their windows starting to come loose and reglued them to the upper hinge piece. Any suggestion on other preventive maintenance to minimize potential for window detachment?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

What kind/brand of B-van are you talking about?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
Platinum Member

2006 Roadtrek 210P. I think the 190 uses the same window.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Several people have had the rear crank-open windows detach from their hinge-piece mount and fall to the ground and break. Mine look like the window is well attached to the hinge piece. On the outside there are some minor gaps between the top of the window and the hinge piece. I plan to clean the joint and recaulk using Lexel (my favorite caulk).

Has anyone found their windows starting to come loose and reglued them to the upper hinge piece. Any suggestion on other preventive maintenance to minimize potential for window detachment?
Yes, and I'm not the only one.

You Need to do something now to assist in not having the window detach, fall off. When the top of the window gives way, there is nothing to stop the glass panel from sliding down the two pieces attached to the window. Look it over, and you'll understand. One of my glass panels is now plexiglas, but works well.

I thought about gluing the panel back together, but it was in just about a million pieces.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Yes, and I'm not the only one.

You Need to do something now to assist in not having the window detach, fall off. When the top of the window gives way, there is nothing to stop the glass panel from sliding down the two pieces attached to the window. Look it over, and you'll understand. One of my glass panels is now plexiglas, but works well.

I thought about gluing the panel back together, but it was in just about a million pieces.

Bud
Forgot to mention: Never driving with either window open. And the two pieces attached to the panels can also detach from the glass.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote