Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 12:24 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Propane Issues Norcold 3-way

Having an issue with my Norcold fridge. When operating in gas mode there is a smell of propane in and around the back fridge vents. No smell when the tank is open or if we use the stove top burners that are connected to the same propane system. I've cleaned the fridge burner with rubbing alcohol & it has a nice blue flame. Troubleshooting it down to an issue with fridge itself...? Any chance it could be the propane tank regulator? It's old and I've never 'cleaned' it.
K-mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:45 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-mann View Post
Having an issue with my Norcold fridge. When operating in gas mode there is a smell of propane in and around the back fridge vents. No smell when the tank is open or if we use the stove top burners that are connected to the same propane system. I've cleaned the fridge burner with rubbing alcohol & it has a nice blue flame. Troubleshooting it down to an issue with fridge itself...? Any chance it could be the propane tank regulator? It's old and I've never 'cleaned' it.
Does you frigerator work on ac or dc? If yes than you probably have a problem with the propane. Easiest way to check propane. Get manometer(amazon has them for 30) connect tubing anywhere easy. Burner on your cook top is ok. Check the pressure in water column inches. If below 12 inches, you probably need a new regulator. Regulators are pretty inexpensive.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:29 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I don't quite understand. Are you saying that you get a smell when the main tank valve is closed? I don't see how your LP fridge could work with the main valve not open.

Anyways, I had to cut a trip short just recently because I smelled LP around the fridge, LP tank area (my tank sits below the fridge). I soaped everything but couldn't see any bubbles. I bought a propane "sniffer" and it indicated a leak in the regulator right over the first stage. Replaced regulator. No smell. No leak.

My regulator was only 4 years old. But it was clearly the culprit.

There are many detectors on the market. I bought this one because I could get it quickly with Amz Primel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I don't quite understand. Are you saying that you get a smell when the main tank valve is closed? I don't see how your LP fridge could work with the main valve not open.

Anyways, I had to cut a trip short just recently because I smelled LP around the fridge, LP tank area (my tank sits below the fridge). I soaped everything but couldn't see any bubbles. I bought a propane "sniffer" and it indicated a leak in the regulator right over the first stage. Replaced regulator. No smell. No leak.

My regulator was only 4 years old. But it was clearly the culprit.

There are many detectors on the market. I bought this one because I could get it quickly with Amz Primel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Agreed! I purchased a sniffer from Amazon also when I replaced my regulator. It was under the van so too difficult to check with soap and water. Most likely propane leaks come from the regulator. When they get clogged up with oil, they will fail and leak.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I had to replace my propane regulator after only 2 years on my 2017 Winnebago Trend. I could smell gas and stove, frig. and furnace would not light. Purchased new regulator and replaced and no more problems. Regulator was plugged with oil. Just be slow when turning valve on propane. If you replace regulator, use yellow Teflon tape for your fittings, not white.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Yes I agree to all of the above & if you are in thr slightest hesitant to work around Propane, hire a Professional to do the job right.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote