Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Rayzar antenna

We saw this in a solar install here a while ago, and it seemed like it might work for us also. RT.SS said the antenna worked well for him.

http://www.winegard.com/rayzarair

It is a kit to replace the head of the batwing Winegard with a shorter, flat, antenna. Of course, they claim it will pick up channels from a least a billion miles away, like they always say.

Big thing for us would be if it is small enough to fit on our 07 190P and not go past the back of the vent cover, or get in the way of the tank vent. Since you are messing with the square supports, they probably could be dinged up to put it where you want, if there is room.

If it will fit that way, we can VERY easily add a third 100 watt solar panel. The 200 watts we have works well 80% of the time, but as with most solar prolonged clouds, trees and rain can make us not break even. If we can gain a bit this easily, it would be worth it.

Anybody else try one of these antennas yet.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Rayzar antenna

We have the indoor uncovered version of the Rayzar antenna and it is concealed inside our custom designed Coleman Mach air conditioning cover. I've channel tuned several times now and have been very pleased with the results. The nicest thing I like is I don't have to crank to raise or lower and sometimes forget. The RV replacement is still a crank up to raise but wonder if it would work well enough most of the time flat on the roof.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

On the Camping world website there are very positive reviews. They are on sale for $50 presidents club price. I was just about to buy one myself to make room for solar but now David's got me thinking about the indoor kind. As far as the big old batwing I don't notice much difference raised or lowered.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

This link on IRV2 is a good read: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/ota-ante ... 29523.html

You can also mount a Jack antenna (King) on a Winegard base I think. If so you might be able to trim the height.

The Winegard batwing and the Jack are directional. The Razar Air is bi-directional (front and back).
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It is interesting that they say the new antenna is bi-directional and the batwing isn't. The batwing, without a Wingman, is exactly symmetrical, and we haven't found it to make any difference in a 180 degree turn of the antenna. Maybe they are talking about if you have the Wingman on, and then it would be directional I would think.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Good point. Must be with the Wingman on.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote