Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 08:21 PM   #1

Default Rear camera...

I want to see behind my 2020 Sprinter 170x cargo van as I drive forward. Is there is a good solution? Do the wireless cameras work well? Can I install one on the high brake-light or does it interfere with the backup camera? I plan to install the screen where the rearview mirror would be. Thank you.
marty.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty.smith View Post
I want to see behind my 2020 Sprinter 170x cargo van as I drive forward. Is there is a good solution? Do the wireless cameras work well? Can I install one on the high brake-light or does it interfere with the backup camera? I plan to install the screen where the rearview mirror would be. Thank you.
On the NCV3 with the standard head unit, you can activate the back-up camera by pressing and holding the "system" button. I suspect there is a similar function somewhere on your VS30.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:38 AM   #3

Regarding wireless I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The price is right but the performance is so so. The connection is not as sharp and as consistent as I want but it does work and is better than not having one. I connected it to the reverse lights.
dodgeCoachmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:53 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I have this it's usually $40

dandy for 4 years:

some wire to the taillights so that it is always on- so as to monitor a trailer.
mine is mounted by 3rd brake light so as to get an angled view when backing to my wall at home

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
On the NCV3 with the standard head unit, you can activate the back-up camera by pressing and holding the "system" button. I suspect there is a similar function somewhere on your VS30.
Thank you...best I can figure, It doesn't work on the new vans. I am told that MB thought it would be too distracting!
Old 09-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #6

Thank you". I was hoping for one mounted high on the third rear light, under the MB camera....looks like there is room.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
Platinum Member

if you look at the one I have ( link above), the camera was removed from the "plate mount" and I mounted by the 3rd brake light on my chev based Pleasure Way.

the wireless image has never been a problem, there is no perceptible latency

I use a suction mount & usually remove & put in the glove box if I'm on a long run and not towing ( not into surrounded my self with gadgets, it's not a 747)
the power for the display is hard wired to the van ( fused)

after years of being priced at 39.98, the price has been bouncing around the past month- as high as $129- don;t pay that!

mike
Old 09-29-2020, 12:57 AM   #8
Silver Member

Default Tadibrothers # 43199

I just bought a wired camera/monitor for my Promaster3500 (Hymer Sunlight2). I could barely see anything in rear view mirror as the windows are partially covered. Camera is mounted on top of top brake light. 7" Monitor clips to mirror. Camera is 120 deg view. I have it rigged up to work but the wires are not run properly yet. Quite a view out the back. It is a bit hard to gage distance though... A car 50-60 ft back looks like it is 150 ft. I only drove for a few miles so I think I will get used to it. Monitor has adjustments for brightness. saturation, hue etc. I will need to play with it to find the best picture. About $200 plus (longer) wires as of Sep 2020.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...-backup-camera
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I have this it's usually $40

dandy for 4 years:

some wire to the taillights so that it is always on- so as to monitor a trailer.
mine is mounted by 3rd brake light so as to get an angled view when backing to my wall at home

mike
That's how I did mine on my 99 Roadtrek. I wired into the tail light wire. When I have the parking lights on, my camera's on. I've had two of those $40 Amazon camera's on two different vans, they work fine. Not the greatest resolution, but fine for what I need.
atcaw94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #10
Platinum Member

If you can see through rear window(s) a Fresnel lens(es) is very helpful, no battery, speed of light image processing and inexpensive. I used them on all vans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR03152.jpg (319.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03155.jpg (568.7 KB, 20 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
if you look at the one I have ( link above), the camera was removed from the "plate mount" and I mounted by the 3rd brake light on my chev based Pleasure Way.

the wireless image has never been a problem, there is no perceptible latency

I use a suction mount & usually remove & put in the glove box if I'm on a long run and not towing ( not into surrounded my self with gadgets, it's not a 747)
the power for the display is hard wired to the van ( fused)

after years of being priced at 39.98, the price has been bouncing around the past month- as high as $129- don;t pay that!

mike
How did you mount your backup camera on the 3rd Brake light? Do you have a photo?
pbellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:40 PM   #12
Platinum Member

mine is a chev 3500

1st plan was to remove lens and drill through the plastic lens and attach camera bracket with machine screws

once I had the lens off I saw an easy way to fab a small bracket

essentially the camera is centered on the lens

the 3rd brake light is obstructed in the center, but clearly visible the camera is fairly small

mike
Old 01-28-2021, 01:53 AM   #13

Mike -

Thanks for the reply.

Your 3rd brake mount looks very nice.

So, as I understand, your camera is powered by the brake light wiring. And, your monitor is powered nearly all the time up front on the dash.

When you're in traffic hitting the brake a lot, I suppose the monitor is constantly coming on and off with a picture, correct? Are there any issues with that?
pbellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:49 AM   #14
Platinum Member

No,

Mine is powered from the reverse lights.

The wireless receiver on the dash ( suction cup mount) is always powered

The camera gets power from the back-up lights and after a moment the display becomes active

At one point I was wired to the tailights so that I could have camera on when ever I turned on the lights - like to monitor a trailer. I found that unnecessary

on the chev, all the all the wiring is easily access behind the pass side taillight lens assembly.

the wiring from the camera is easily slipped behind the weather strip seal for the rear door
mike
Old 01-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I installed this system: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088CY8FRW...dDbGljaz10cnVl
It works great. I get a choice of looking at the single back up camera or the two side cameras. The monitor splits the two side mirrors right down the middle. The monitor is large. places it overhead. The cameras are powered off the parking lights, so we run with the headlights on. Really happy with the system!! Only glitch was the USPS loosing it for two months!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2020, camera, sprinter