Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 12:48 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Rear door cargo box on earlier Pleasure-Way

Hi all,
I mounted this alu. cargo box on my rear door 3 years ago and been happy with it since. I have chosen to bolt it on a thick alu. plate, then bolted the plate to the door hinges, to avoid putting to much stress on the door itself. I usually carry two camping chairs, my fishing rigs, a bug shelter, folding table, and various campins accessories in it. Some clever folks will notice that the spare tire rack was removed, and it's been moved to the front. (already posted a photo album of this mod. The cargo box swings easily with the door, and does not requires additional lights. I do have a hitch bike rack, that allows the door to be opened when the bikes are off the rack, but I need to bend the center post of the rack (Swagman) to do so. Like my previous posts , I will happily send the CAD drawings of the alu. plate if someones requires it.
My humble contribution to this forum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2097.jpg (240.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2096.jpg (185.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2098.jpg (201.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2099.jpg (151.6 KB, 4 views)
Soyouz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Design-wise, I give you an "A" for originality. That is not a concept that I have seen previously. Plenty of owners hang plenty of stuff off their rear barn doors, but it's all mass-market prefab, such that it looks like van tumors (in some cases extreme). In sizing and shaping the box to be respectful of the vehicle's form, it yields a more streamlined and thoughtful appearance.

Engineering-wise, I don't feel qualified to comment. I've spent years going round and round on what the rear doors should or should not accept weight-wise, and how they should accept it.

I am fairly convinced that the sheet metal alone cannot hold much - there have been too many anecdotal reports of deformation, reports by owners who tried this or that in the way of installations. Every time I see a ladder bolted into the sheet metal alone, I cringe. There's a reason why Aluminess installs them in the gutters.

Clearly the hinges are more robust, as spare tires are approved for hanging there. And those suckers weigh 70 pounds each, plus mounting hardware. They are not "spare tires" at all - they are wheels. Rim plus tire.

Anyway, this is interesting. Thanks for posting.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote