Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2022, 01:20 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Refrigerator Vent Cover

I recently replaced the Dometic RM2554 refrigerator in my 2006 Roadtrek 210P. I found that the burner tube had significant rust, which I assume was due to rain water coming in the upper vent. The upper sidewall is curved which makes it easy for water to come in.

To eliminate water entry when not using the fridge I made covers out of Starboard from Home depot. I found you could not paint Starboard so I used Silver 3M vinyl wrap to finish the board. Vinyl wrap doesn't stick either so I used aluminum strips to capture the wrap on the backside. So far it worked fine though I have had a few wrinkles in the vinyl wrap.

Another benefit is the cover keeps dirt, dust, and critters out. Previously I made some foam inserts for the vent grills, which worked OK but didn't look good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT Fridge Vent Cover.jpg (70.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg RT Fridge Vent Cover1.jpg (57.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg RT Fridge Vent Cover2.jpg (71.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg RT Fridge Vent Cover3.jpg (50.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg RT Fridge Vent Cover4.jpg (63.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg RT Fridge Vent Cover5.jpg (82.5 KB, 18 views)
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 02:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nice covers. I have questions on your use of the covers. How do you run the fridge when traveling down the road? I take it you remove the covers when parked for the fridge to cool? Have you lost cooling effect when parked?
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 02:43 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
Nice covers. I have questions on your use of the covers. How do you run the fridge when traveling down the road? I take it you remove the covers when parked for the fridge to cool? Have you lost cooling effect when parked?
I never run the fridge with the covers on. That would be a fire hazard, and the fridge would not cool properly. The covers are only when I am not using the fridge for a period of time, like over a week or so. It is a little hassle to put them on.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:13 PM   #4

That as a great idea!
How are you securing them on?
Swiftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I recently replaced the Dometic RM2554 refrigerator in my 2006 Roadtrek 210P. I found that the burner tube had significant rust, which I assume was due to rain water coming in the upper vent. The upper sidewall is curved which makes it easy for water to come in.

To eliminate water entry when not using the fridge I made covers out of Starboard from Home depot. I found you could not paint Starboard so I used Silver 3M vinyl wrap to finish the board. Vinyl wrap doesn't stick either so I used aluminum strips to capture the wrap on the backside. So far it worked fine though I have had a few wrinkles in the vinyl wrap.

Another benefit is the cover keeps dirt, dust, and critters out. Previously I made some foam inserts for the vent grills, which worked OK but didn't look good.
That as a great idea!
Swiftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I had the same problem, water was coming into the fridge area when it rained hard, and this solved it. Much easier and no need to take it up and down. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FJCTZPY...roduct_details
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:27 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Just make sure it's applied for both the upper and lower vents, problem solved. The Chevy side where the vents are does not lay flat, so the other issue is there is a gap in the vent covers, so I applied a bit a clear sealer
Old 04-21-2022, 05:19 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Just make sure it's applied for both the upper and lower vents, problem solved. The Chevy side where the vents are does not lay flat, so the other issue is there is a gap in the vent covers, so I applied a bit a clear sealer
Sounds good. I may want to add those. Could you provide some pictures?
Old 04-21-2022, 05:57 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftman View Post
That as a great idea!
I used a stainless steel 1/4 - 20 screw with a large phillips head. I ground the inner 1/2-inch threads down so the screw would "float" in the cover, but thread into the vent mounting flange. That way the screws remain attached to the cover when it is removed and it makes it easier to install the screws into the flange. There are 7 holes in the plastic flange. I threaded the holes with a 1/4-20 tap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vent Cover Screw.jpg (157.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
I used a stainless steel 1/4 - 20 screw with a large phillips head. I ground the inner 1/2-inch threads down so the screw would "float" in the cover, but thread into the vent mounting flange. That way the screws remain attached to the cover when it is removed and it makes it easier to install the screws into the flange. There are 7 holes in the plastic flange. I threaded the holes with a 1/4-20 tap.
To grind the threads I put the screw in a drill press and used a file to file the threads off as it was turning. This did take some time. If I were to do it again I would try using a thin, perhaps 3/8-inch wide, grinding wheel on my drill to work the threads down.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:38 PM   #11
Gold Member

Another option for this might be a mesh like Frogzskin, designed to let air through while keeping water out. If you can find the right size they could be applied to the inside of the existing vent panel.
https://frogzskin.com/product-catego...angles/page/2/
Old 04-23-2022, 12:41 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm getting part of my upper RV section wrapped, so when I get it back I'll add some photos of the refrigerator vent gutter
Old 04-23-2022, 01:34 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
I'm getting part of my upper RV section wrapped, so when I get it back I'll add some photos of the refrigerator vent gutter
Thanks. Could you start a separate post on your wrap job. I had considered that but ended up getting my roof painted. Would like to see what a wrap looks like.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:14 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I've had frogzskin on my Rzr engine air intake for a few years now. It eliminated my air filter getting wet. Works great to keep water out and doesn't seem to affect performance by restricting airflow. Not sure how the heat from the fridge would affect it.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 04:25 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks. Could you start a separate post on your wrap job. I had considered that but ended up getting my roof painted. Would like to see what a wrap looks like.
Sure will. I'm on the fence about how it'll turn out, but $2600 to get the roof painted, vs $850 for a wrap job, and most likely 7k for the entire thing. It's actually the top section, less the actual roof. My RV is a gold color and the wrap, including awning, will be black. Worst case, if it turns out bad, I'll get it repainted next year, unless the Market keeps crashing. LOL
Old 05-21-2022, 02:30 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pretty simple, so far so good. No major storms, but I did test it out at the self serve car wash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Gutter.jpg (71.4 KB, 10 views)