Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Removing/replacing ext water tank RT Chevy 190

Mr. Booster, before I try and reinvent something would you explain how you were able to remove the exterior water tank in your C190P? A quick look tells me a normal lift won't do it as the lift rail will interfere and considerable clearance is required.
Harry 2003 Roadtrek C190P
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The fresh tank is actually the only underbody one that isn't too bad to get out. It does lay right along the frame on the outboard side, but there is room for a jackstand on the frame right along side of the tank and next to the tank hanging bracket. Same is true on the other side of the van to support the whole front. You can also just leave it sitting on the wheels on ramps or a drive on hoist.

If you earlier version is the same as our 07, there are a minimal amount of connections on it.

Tank sensors will need to be disconnected, maybe wires cut to do that

The big fill tube is on a hose barb that screws into the tank and is on the barb with silicone caulk and a clamp. It is highly likely you won't be able to get it off the barb. To remove it, loosen the hose clamp and then grab hold of the tube with one hand and with an open end wrench turn out the fitting from the tank. Once the silicone breaks loose it will turn pretty easily. When you go back in it should seal again when you tighten the clamp. Use teflon tape on the fitting to tank thread.

The outlet is likely pex so is a tube clamped to a fitting that is threaded into the tank. Almost all the time, I have been able to do the same routine with the pex as above, even without removing the clamp. If you can't get it to turn out you might have to remove the clamp from the hose and replace it going back in. Don't take the tube off the fitting, though, as you will often get leaks unless you have enough tube to cut the end back for reinstall.

There is also a small vent hose that runs up to the top of the tank which should come out with the tank.

The tank itself just sits on the channel supports under it. The channels are supported by the threaded rods but also attach to the ground effects with two screws, on easy to see and one up behind a whole in the channel bracket.

At that point the tank should just drop out with a little persuasion.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Site Team

I don't know anything about the C190P, so forgive me for butting in.
But, for any kind of under-vehicle work, making yourself a set of wooden lift ramps is the best thing you can do for yourself:

Lift f.jpg

Lift.jpg

Safe, cheap, and incredibly convenient.

Check the "cull" pile at your local lumber yard.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Having had to do it recently, I highly suggest replacing the 1-1/4" flex fill hose. It is a bear with tank in place, at least on my 200v. Thet do age and get brittle, separating at the rings. Mine is a 2000 and my brother also had to do his '97 D190 lately.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks, Booster. I didn't expect jack stands or ramps to get things high enough for removal clearance.
Harry 2003 C190P
Old 12-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

"Having had to do it recently, I highly suggest replacing the 1-1/4" flex fill hose."

Will do, Thanks.
Harry