Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Removing the Awning

I am thinking about getting a wild hair and remove our awning from the van. Nothing is broken and it doesn't need adjusting, just thinking for some reason I need to clean and wax behind it. (don't know what the bear stands for but I like bears). Has anybody removed their awning and put it back on? Anything to be aware of?
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I haven't. I guess the only thing I'd be worried out would be if they used nuts and bolts to fasten it and you can't access them to tighten (or loosen).

Some awnings are held in place with rivets.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Ours was held on with pop rivets. I had it off when I painted the roof. Drill them out, put in new with some sealer. I would not take one off just to wax, one more chance for a leak.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Ours has 3 aluminum brackets that are attached to the van that hold the awning in place. I can only see the bottom screws that hold the awning to the brackets, don't know how yet the top of the awning is held to the brackets. The brackets don't look like the Fiamma brackets that they sell now. The folks at Coach House couldn't help due to the fact that nobody worked in the shop when ours was built in about 1944!
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote