Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replace Cook Top cover with Butcher Block

The original cook top cover on my 2004 RT 200P was cracked, and when I tried to repair same, that made it worse.

I ordered a bamboo butcher block from amazon, cut it to size, made a support for the right side of the cook top, as the cook top grate supports the bamboo butcher block on the left side of the stove. The bamboo butcher block is almost flush with the counter top.

Here are the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Org CTC.jpg (64.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg CT.jpg (122.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg CT BB S.jpg (122.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg BB CTC.jpg (108.3 KB, 76 views)
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:57 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Nice job! Looks professionally done.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Looks very nice. Is it anchored to the countertop?
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The butcher block is not anchored to the counter top, the butcher block fits right in the recess, and should not come loose during travel. The butcher block must be removed to use the stove.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #5
Platinum Member

In my van all potentially flying “Frisbees” in case of an accident are well secured. A flying heavy lid at 50 mph at head on collision can kill. Even a simple strap keeping the lid at bay should suffice.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

GeorgeRa, you are correct, it would be best to secure the butcher block when traveling.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Interesting, with my 05/04 Roadtrek 190 the stove top is very heavy and not secured to the stove. It would take a heck of a bounce or whatever to dislodge it. From the picture, I think I 'had' the same stove, changed it out last fall.

I would bet my cover is heavier than the very nice top pictured. Good to know that I have another alternative, nice one too.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
In my van all potentially flying “Frisbees” in case of an accident are well secured. A flying heavy lid at 50 mph at head on collision can kill. Even a simple strap keeping the lid at bay should suffice.
50 mph head-on crash and your biggest concern is a stove cover?

I get your point, though. It's just there probably will be nothing left of me in that situation. Although my Chevy Express received a 5-Star NHTSA frontal crash rating, that was at 35 mph and before nearly 2 tons of weight was added.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:27 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
50 mph head-on crash and your biggest concern is a stove cover?

I get your point, though. It's just there probably will be nothing left of me in that situation. Although my Chevy Express received a 5-Star NHTSA frontal crash rating, that was at 35 mph and before nearly 2 tons of weight was added.
Valid point about being possibly overconcerned, likely leftover from my safety objective when I designed my conversion. All lower cabinets were (over)designed with 1.5” aluminum profile mounted to the factory seat mount threaded holes.

A simple strap can usually hold stuff at designated places. A lot of bad things can happen when we fly after accident.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:32 PM   #10
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=GeorgeRa;107534]Valid point about being possibly overconcerned, likely leftover from my safety objective when I designed my conversion. All lower cabinets were (over)designed with 1.5” aluminum profile mounted to the factory seat mount threaded holes.

A simple strap can usually hold stuff at designated places. A lot of bad things can happen when we fly after accident./QUOTE]

Got a laugh out of that Police Academy clip. Probably the most subtle humor in the entire movie.

PS - Sorrry k1hog for totally derailling your thread. Again, fine work!