Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #1

Default Replace forward bench seat in ERA 70A?

Hi, We bought our Winnebago ERA 70a earlier this year. It's great because my wife and I like twin beds. Overall we are very pleased with her. But a) we find the small seat/bed just behind the driver's seat somewhat uncomfortable: too soft, and b) because it folds into a bed (a feature we don't use) there is also a bit of mechanical structure underneath it, which means there is no storage under the seat. We'd like to put in a firmer seat that has storage underneath it. Does anyone have an idea of how to accomplish this? I could build it but it wouldn't be pretty. Are there businesses out there that might cater to this customization request? Please see the attached pic for an image. Cheers, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suzy seat.jpg (193.3 KB, 22 views)
cawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:51 PM   #2

Ditto the “too soft” however, the front panel (2017 ERA 70A) on the seat removes easily. You will have to disconnect the speaker wires. After removing the panel, use the existing hardware to secure the side panel, secure the speaker wires then reroute the wire to the propane leak detector and your done. Lots of storage for this <10 minute task.
Dan680fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
Silver Member

Agreed:
I removed the padded kick panel under front of seat. I got a single 6x9 speaker box off amazon and mounted the sub woofer further back under seat. I left the padded section in place behind the driver seat that houses the propane detector.

Then I had much more room under seat to house water bottles and other stuff.

I’m glad you like your era 70a.
I had the 2017 version but struggled with the small shower. I have since traded in on a 2019 Travato 59k. ( with rear bath).
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:44 AM   #4
Silver Member

I built this kennel for our dog in that space. I bought one sheet of nice hardwood faced plywood and used a butcher block top that was in our basement when we bought our house. The horseshoe cut out at the back of the top is so the awning window can be opened. I unbolted the seat from the floor and used the studs to mount the base of the kennel. The previous owners had already modified the lower padded panel by hinging it at the rear edge so that it can swing open (the seat has to be partially raised if it’s in place). We use the space for all things dog, food, toys, leashes, etc.
One of the biggest benefits has been the additional counter space. It also gives the dog a great spot to be right in the middle of things and out of the way at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 70C452EB-0308-422F-9D0D-8B6026FE7E63.jpeg (276.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 87C4A0DB-23DA-42CD-848C-1116D57F8184.jpeg (268.2 KB, 0 views)
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
70a, era, mods, seat replacement