Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replace Pitman Arm on 2006 RT210P

I posted this on the Yahoo Roadtrek forum, but am putting it here knowing there are at least 2 master Chevy Roadtrekers here (Booster, Brian).

My Pitman arm is shot, probably idler arm too. Moog shows 2 part numbers.

K6536
K6654

Anyone know what part number is correct?

Any words of advice on this job. Looks fairly easy with the correct puller.

Thanks,

Pete
2006 RT210P
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Replace Pitman Arm on 2006 RT210P

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco
I posted this on the Yahoo Roadtrek forum, but am putting it here knowing there are at least 2 master Chevy Roadtrekers here (Booster, Brian).

My Pitman arm is shot, probably idler arm too. Moog shows 2 part numbers.

K6536
K6654

Anyone know what part number is correct?

Any words of advice on this job. Looks fairly easy with the correct puller.

Thanks,

Pete
2006 RT210P
NAPA lists two also, and the descriptions say 3 spine or 4 spline, so you may have to take it off to know, unless your Chevy dealer can tell from the VIN#.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I need to get under and pull that part and check to see what else needs replacing. Searching the web shows the steering linkage to be a real weakness on Chevy vans and trucks. I wonder if this contributes to the front end braking wobble that many experience when hard braking with hot brakes.

Pete
2006 RT210P
Old 09-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
I need to get under and pull that part and check to see what else needs replacing. Searching the web shows the steering linkage to be a real weakness on Chevy vans and trucks. I wonder if this contributes to the front end braking wobble that many experience when hard braking with hot brakes.

Pete
2006 RT210P
It certainly could contribute to the braking issue, and if the pitman is loose, you probably have other loose parts as well.

I think a lot of the front end troubles on the Chevies is that so many folks are used to non greaseable front ends now, compared to the old days, and don't get them greased often enough, if at all. Even if they do get them greased with oil changes, that is about 1/3 as often as it used to be with this kind of steering parts when oil changes were much more often. I have seen Chevies that were greased regularly, with moly grease, with the correct procedure (wheels off the ground), at 150K+ on the original parts. Water kills the parts the quickest, as the boots are not sealed. If the water isn't pushed out very regularly, the roughness of the rust takes them out quickly. Since most of our vans sit a lot, the rust gets a very good time to set in. Many folks barely change oil, so also grease, no more than twice a year. I give ours a shot everytime I am under it for any reason, and at least every 3K miles or 3 months. If we get caught in deep water, I will also grease when we get home. Maybe overkill, but it is easy and cheap, so why not.

When you change yours out, it would be interesting to take off the boot, and maybe cut it open to see what the failure mode was. It will usually be lack of grease, corrosion, or galling from sand, etc.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Quote:
I think a lot of the front end troubles on the Chevies is that so many folks are used to non greaseable front ends now, compared to the old days, and don't get them greased often enough, if at all. Even if they do get them greased with oil changes, that is about 1/3 as often as it used to be with this kind of steering parts when oil changes were much more often. I have seen Chevies that were greased regularly, with moly grease, with the correct procedure (wheels off the ground), at 150K+ on the original parts. Water kills the parts the quickest, as the boots are not sealed. If the water isn't pushed out very regularly, the roughness of the rust takes them out quickly. Since most of our vans sit a lot, the rust gets a very good time to set in. Many folks barely change oil, so also grease, no more than twice a year. I give ours a shot everytime I am under it for any reason, and at least every 3K miles or 3 months. If we get caught in deep water, I will also grease when we get home. Maybe overkill, but it is easy and cheap, so why not.

When you change yours out, it would be interesting to take off the boot, and maybe cut it open to see what the failure mode was. It will usually be lack of grease, corrosion, or galling from sand, etc.
I bought the vehicle with 32,000 miles on it; now have 54,000. Don't know what maintenance it had. I have greased the front end every 5-7000 miles. Every 3000 miles is probably a better interval on this heavily loaded vehicle.

Looks like the job is more involved than I thought. The manual says to remove the steering box. The Moog site also lists a HD version of these Pitman arms, but I haven't found a source yet. I will call Moog next week to find out more.

Pete
2006 RT210P
Old 09-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I read through some posts on truck forums and there is a lot of confusion over these two Pitman Arm part numbers.

From what I read:
3 groove pitman arm 19168473 goes with idler arm 19153392 There is some discussion that they should be replaced together due to design changes.
4 groove pitman arm 19168944 goes with idler arm 19178433

These were truck discussions not vans but the pairing could be the same. Those are GM part numbers.

At least one discussion indicated a mix up by a dealer with these part numbers. 2500 part # installed on one side causing handling issues on 3500 truck. (more likely a parts mismatch). Apparently you can tell if they're mismatched (after they are installed) if the center link is lower by about 2" on one end instead of being level.

It's very confusing and it would be very easy to end up with the wrong parts on your van even if the job is done at a dealership.

Please keep us up to date with what you find out. It will help others reading this later on.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I read through some posts on truck forums and there is a lot of confusion over these two Pitman Arm part numbers.

From what I read:
3 groove pitman arm 19168473 goes with idler arm 19153392 There is some discussion that they should be replaced together due to design changes.
4 groove pitman arm 19168944 goes with idler arm 19178433

These were truck discussions not vans but the pairing could be the same. Those are GM part numbers.

At least one discussion indicated a mix up by a dealer with these part numbers. 2500 part # installed on one side causing handling issues on 3500 truck. (more likely a parts mismatch). Apparently you can tell if they're mismatched (after they are installed) if the center link is lower by about 2" on one end instead of being level.

It's very confusing and it would be very easy to end up with the wrong parts on your van even if the job is done at a dealership.

Please keep us up to date with what you find out. It will help others reading this later on.
That is really interesting. I wonder if Moog and the other aftermarket folks list what two go together and which don't?
Old 09-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It only seems to apply to 19168473 & 19153392

Quote:
DESCRIPTION: ARM KIT,PITMAN
due to redesign this part must be replaced together with 19153392 if replacing original arm
Quote:
DESCRIPTION: ARM KIT,STRG LNKG IDLER
due to redesign this part must be replaced together with 19168473 if replacing original arm
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote