Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Replacing the inadequate stock radio of the Roadtrek

Here's what I discovered I needed to replace that inadequate stock radio on my Roadtrek RS-Adventurous.
We head back to Michigan tomorrow and Best Buy claims I need a bunch of parts to put a new radio in... http://roadtreking.com/trips/michigan-were-heading-back

A journalist takes up RVing in a Roadtrek Class B Motorhome
Roadtreking Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Replacing the inadequate stock radio of the Roadtrek

Is it is a Sprinter Radio complaint or something limited to Roadtreks?
If it affects other Sprinter Class B's maybe edit post title so that other Sprinter owners can use the info you found.

Also, if you are willing, please post the info here also. I have seen many Class B related personal websites disappear when the owner tires of it or sells the RV etc. All the good information gets lost.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Good point! Here's the pertinent info from my blog about trying to replace the radio while down in FLA...

I drove into nearby Destin the other day to see about replacing the Roadtrek’s inadequate stock radio. I found several models with direct iPod/iPhone USB input for the audio books we like to listen to on long trips. But my hopes of having one installed while I was down here were not to be as it turns out, according to the Best Buy Geek Squad automotive audio installer I talked to I needed to also get some parts that had to be ordered online.

In case anyone else wants to do the same, here’s what the Geek Squad guy said I needed:

A Metra Installation Kit fo 2003-2006 Dodge Sprinter Vehicles -Black – $35.99
A Scosche-Speaker Connector for Select Volkswagon Vehicles – $14.99
A Metra – Antenna Adapter for Select Audi and Volkwagon Vehicles.

They would charge me $5 for unspecified materials and $59.99 for in-dash, non-video labor. Why Audi and VW parts…I don’t know. That’s what the Geek Squad guy’s computer said I needed.

All this is on top of the $159 HD Jensen radio I selected.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Gold Member

Not sure if the radio is an issue for all Sprinters, several conversion companies are adding their own radio & navigation systems systems on newer models, but I have a 2011 PW Plateau and it has just a basic AM/FM/CD radio in it. I'm happy with the sound quality of the radio and the speakers, however, I doesn't have an aux input jack for my iPod so I'm looking to replace it soon. Thanks for getting all the info Mike, I'll be ready for when the Best Buy guys tell me they can't replace it instantly like I was expecting! I'm going to wait to order parts though, just in case mine is different.

I will say that I was concerned about my 1,000 + mile drive home from South Fl with just FM radio and I got a small speaker for my iPod but I quickly discovered that it was more trouble than it was worth! Battery on the speaker ran out not 50 miles into the trip, then after listening to the in-dash radio while I charged the speaker I realized how crappy the sound was from the speaker and ditched it entirely!
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #5
Platinum Member

The 2006 Sprinter had a different radio and different dash from 2011 Sprinters. So the information would not necessarily correlate. For what it is worth the new Great West Vans Sprinter I looked at this week had an Alpine CDE-123 radio installed. I might install the Alpine CDE-121 radio that is available from Best Buy if I go that route. It has an Aux jack and a USB port for iPods and iPhones. You can Google thos two models if you are curious about the features.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Will check out the Alpine!

Old 04-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Gold Member

Good point Davydd, it appears that my radio is easy to pop out and change for a new one, but I know that things are not always as they appear!

I realized that my radio has a CD player and I can put playlists from iTunes onto CDs and use that while I figure out the replacement! Not sure why that didn't occur to me before - I had briefly considered bringing some CDs but most of my music is not on CD and I didn't want to bring the whole collection, I haven't bought a new CD in at least 5 years. What I need is a CD that is re-writeable then I could change out the playlist like I do on my iPod, basically a iPod that you can insert into a CD player...If they made that I'd buy it!

Mike, not sure if the CD solution would help you...most books tend to be long and you'd need a lot of CDs! Maybe try the library? I know my library has audio books on CD. Of course you are home now and you'll prob get your radio fixed before your next trip!
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote