Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Roadtrek 170 Bed

I have a 2008 Roadtrek 170 and the rear bed is a jigsaw puzzle to assemble. We would like to make it into the dining room while traveling which make the inside feel much bigger than leaving the bed made up. Its also more useful.
Im concerding making the bed into a pull out couch. I have a couple ideas but am wondering if anybody else has done it.

I already removed the little bump out on the passenger side of the floor so the isle is rectangular. I was thinking of cutting 2 pieces of 1/2 plywood. The back piece would be rectangular but the front piece is a little longer on the kitchen side. Then covering the plywood with foam for the bed. While traveling stand the rear piece up against the back and push in the front piece to touch the back, pinning it with something. To make it just pull the pins and pull outnthe base and flop down the back.

Has anyone else attempted such a mod? I tried a search for rear bed but did not find anything.
larrylwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You might be able to find a jacknife couch that will fit what you want to do. Here is one I found in a quick search, but I am sure there are many more out there, as the jacknives are in a lot of RVs.

RV Furniture Center | RV & Motorhome Jackknife Sleeper Sofa Beds
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You might be able to find a jacknife couch that will fit what you want to do. Here is one I found in a quick search, but I am sure there are many more out there, as the jacknives are in a lot of RVs.

http://http://www.rvfurniturecenter....eatured&page=2

The link is bad, no web page. However I can use google.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I put in a different page on the site, seems to be working now.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I put in a different page on the site, seems to be working now.
I forgot to refresh the page. I see it now.

All those shown are designed to sleep front to back looks like, We have to sleep side to side. However I now know what to look for, thank you.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:51 PM   #6
Silver Member

Default did you do your build

Hi larrylwill

Wondering if you ever did the build for the bed. I was hoping to see a couple of pictures of what you were talking about in making the bed longer. as i would like ours to be just a little longer, instead of crawling over each other to get out first ha ha

Thanks
David
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:51 AM   #7
Gold Member

I have not but someone posted here or on another board Im a member of that they cut into the bathroom on one side and the cabinet on the other to make it longer. They added a door big enough for there feet on the side of the bathroom which flops down to sleep and locks up to use the bathroom. The person that needs the BR at night most sleeps on that side. That was the idea I had. I was going to try and make the bed like a couch that I can pull down the bed and push it back up, but It would not be longer just easier to make. I then started looking at sofa bed assemblies someone posted that would fit but 90% that I have found are made to sleep long wise instead of side wise. I have not given up, its just not a priority now. I did add a new android double din radio, a 3 drawer cabinet where the 3rd seat is, made the wardrobe into shelves. I also built a bed in the front by turning the seats backward and using a cut down table between them and a mattress I made from foam and memory foam that stows behind the back bed. I also changed all lights to Leds and added one up front. Also strung remote control multicolor leds around the ceiling, which provides lots of light. I added a trimetric battery monitor also. I added an antenna meter and uhf elements to the senser antenna. Along with a tivo and new 24" Led HD TV with a small inverter hooked into the TV amp 12v so I do not have to turn on the big inverter to watch TV. Im working on hooking up a new 1000w inverter in place of the original one but haven't found a charger yet.

I still have plans to fix the tank gages somehow and add a transmitting alarm, which I already bought.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
Silver Member

Lots of changes, all sound good. I am not sure what your Android double Din Radio is , i will look up.

we just picked ours up in July, last owner added lots of items,like you he changed every light to LED,which really saves on the 2 house batteries he installed. New 12 v tv with dvd. I added a 360 roof vent to stop the back suck on the black tank when we open front windows while driving.

Remote temp sensor for the fridge so don't have to open fridge to see if it is working, he also added cooking thermometer gauge into the side of the hot water tank to keep eye on water temp for showering ( so you know when up to temp you want to help save water )

Monitor to keep eyes on the house batteries, shows all info , usage time left, charge left, how much being ysed at that second and more i have not figured out yet

Now just get the sleeping better, i just fit from side to side ( but don't streach my toes ) We don't need the extra bed , just us and the girls, so i have to convince wife about removing the 3rd seat to make more storage

Thanks for the info

David Mona
and the Girls
Old 09-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
Silver Member

Thanks Larry, for the info on the radio

Tags
bed