Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2020, 05:16 AM   #1
Kon
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek ceiling/ roof liner question.

Hello and thanks again everyone for all the help .

I have an 04 Roadtrek 190 and was thinking of doing a simple mod.
I wanted to see if I知 able to drill some short screws up the interior ceiling to mount some brackets or hooks.
The idea it so I can hang some fishing poles up high there to save some space.

Does anyone know what material is up top? After the vinyl or leather surface.
Is it safe to drill short screws or if you know, how much space I have to work with up there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again everyone!
Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

on my pleasure way I had to remove my fan to do some other work- when the fan was out I was able to see the gap between roof and headliner, where the wiring was run etc.

assuming you have an awning- would it be possible to mount a length of pvc pipe to carry rods?
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
Kon
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
on my pleasure way I had to remove my fan to do some other work- when the fan was out I was able to see the gap between roof and headliner, where the wiring was run etc.

assuming you have an awning- would it be possible to mount a length of pvc pipe to carry rods?
mike
Thanks for the tips. What was the material in the headliner? does it seem like it was something that can be drilled into. Having hooks inside would be dual purpose to hang other light items too such as those bug lights too.
I saw some mods for PVC storage outside, but since I don't have a ladder, accessing them would be a tad inconvenient. And I kinda prefer not to drill anything on the outside.
It's still an option, but if I have no other choices.
Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A strong magnet might locate the "Studs" for you. Rolling the dice hoping to miss drilling into any electrical.
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon View Post

I wanted to see if I知 able to drill some short screws up the interior ceiling to mount some brackets or hooks.

Is it safe to drill short screws or if you know, how much space I have to work with up there?

Thanks again everyone!
The ceiling in my 09/10 Roadtrek C190P is primarily some very thin plywood, with the some padding and the vinyl liner applied. The exception is the very forward portion, which is thin plastic (ABS?) instead of the plywood; I assume this is because of the curvature of this area. There is a small area where there is both plywood and plastic, but it is fairly far forward. This entire ceiling is retained in position by the cabinets, and also by a number of screws. The screws have little round "snap cap" covers over them. The fiberglass top, which is fairly thick, has small wooden blocks glued on where these screws are, so that you are screwing into the wood rather than the fiberglass.

As for how much clearance there is between the ceiling and the roof, it is a small but variable amount, probably 1/4". If you are drilling a small pilot hole, you should be able to feel when you go through the plywood. Beware that your drill bit will probably start wrapping up some of the padding between the vinyl and plywood.

Bottom line is that what you want is doable, albeit you'll need to be careful of hitting your head on these hooks or your fishing poles. If you need more info, I can dig through my photos ...
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon View Post

Thanks again everyone!
I'm not sure if the 04 is the same type of topper that I have on my 1994 chevy roadtrek but I can tell you what I have.
I decided to gut my roadtrek out because there had been so much water damage to it the I was having rust show up/windows leaking etc.
What I see is that there are areas that have wood blocking under fibelgass (where the pintucks are that hold up the vinyl liner). There is foam (like you see for cooler insulation) apx 1/2" thick sandwiched between fiberglass. The screws holding the pintucks are very short-maybe 3/8" (I could measure them later today).
I could try to get some pics later today if you would like.
chewyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #7
Kon
Bronze Member

Thank you. Some pics would be awesome! I would great appreciate that.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #8

Default 94 chevy roadtrek topper map

Hi Kon,
I know it's hard to tell what you are looking at by the pics but just trying to show the the topper on the roadtrek is not that strong- it is basically foam sandwiched between a thin film of fiberglass that has small pieces of wood scattered in places where very small screws could hold up the vinyl. The pic with 2 parallel strips is after the fan heading towards the back door. You can kind of see them in the 3rd pic that I tried to get the whole ceiling.
If you have a particular place where you would like to hang your fishing rods and you would like me to measure out where the blocks are let me know. I will be working on the van the next 2 weeks then it is going in for fiberglass and metal repair.
This remake of the campervan is moving very slowly!
Hope this helps,
deb/chewyblue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201021_100903053.jpg (260.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201021_101124972.jpg (239.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201021_101607329.jpg (199.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201021_101409981.jpg (207.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 10-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
Kon
Bronze Member

Thanks ! That’s really helpful.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #10

You're welcome, glad I could help.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:57 PM   #11
Kon
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewyblue View Post
You're welcome, glad I could help.
Hope you share some pics later on when your project is finished too. Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2021, 01:27 PM   #12

Hi Chewyblue - I have a 2003 170 that’s about 75 % gutted. I would like to remove the vinyl and replace with shiplap. Based on your experience, is that feasible ?
Thanks, Forrest
forrestpaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #13

Hi Forrest,
This can't be a quick answer to that question.
I am at the decision point of what I am going to do with the ceiling and have spent many hours contemplating on what to do.
I believe it is possible but there are things to consider-
1) the fiberglass does not have any structural ribs so you would have to glue some in. The shape of the fiberglass topper adds some complications to that. I have seen people who didn't want to add the weight to the fiberglass itself so they built a rib cage entirely self supporting only being attached to the metal where the fiberglass meets the van.
2) Any type of added framing and wood type of ceiling adds weight- there is a light weight tongue and groove I believe is a pine that is a wall paneling that is fairly light weight.
3) Any type of framing and wood on the ceiling takes away from head room- That's why I liked the Roadtrek- I could stand upright.
Real think that real shiplap is around 1" thick although there are some that I saw was 5/16".
I was concerned about anything glued to the fiberglass coming off but I talked to a fiberglass repairman and he said he if you use the right stuff it would be permanent- no changing your mind.
So with all that said- I haven't made a final decision. I am still working on getting my van water tight and painted, then do the floor and see what the headroom will be.
It would be great if you keep in touch and let me know what you decide to do....send pictures etc.
Deb/Chewyblue
Old 04-27-2021, 01:30 AM   #14

Thank you for the quick and thoughtful reply. I've been away from the van and won't be back in town for another week. I will follow up with some fiberglass guys that I've worked with. The idea of a rib structure sounds interesting. I've seen that in the cabin tops of some sailboats. Like you, I'll probably be thinking about it while I do the plumbing, electrical, walls, floor and carpentry. When I get back in town I'll post some pictures. Thanks again for your advice. Forrest
Old 09-08-2021, 11:31 PM   #15

Default Status of my Roadtrek 170

I知 getting ready to finish gutting the interior - everything goes ! I also plan to close up the holes for heater, etc. I haven稚 figured out how to remove the A/C side cabinets.

Any advice will be appreciated. Has anyone redone the ceiling ?
Thanks, Forrest
Old 09-08-2021, 11:49 PM   #16
Kon
Bronze Member

Thank you for the pictures! Always nice to see what’s behind our walls
Old 09-09-2021, 02:59 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestpaddock View Post
<snip>
I haven’t figured out how to remove the A/C side cabinets.
<snip>
On my later model (2010 on 2009 chassis) Roadtrek 190P, there is a square metal tube welded in crosswise under the front of the air conditioner, to support it. There are screws in "the floor" of the cabinets to that bar.
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:08 AM   #18

How’s your Roadtrek renovation coming along ? Have you made decisions on fitting out the interior ?
Old 02-22-2022, 04:44 PM   #19

Default Headliner replacement

Faced with the same dilemma in our 04C 190V, I came across this thread.

I was wondering if any of you have decided what to do with replacing the headliner? Because of the water leaks, that are now repaired, we have a stained headliner and wall panels in the front cab area.

The wall upholstery by the two back doors have started to rip due to sun damage. I am going to attempt to reupholster all the wall panels on my own but it is the headliner that gives me pause.

Any information and shared photos would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Sylvia in San Diego
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RT back panel.jpg (253.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Back door2.jpg (319.3 KB, 16 views)
k9Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:57 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9Mickey View Post
Faced with the same dilemma in our 04C 190V, I came across this thread.

I was wondering if any of you have decided what to do with replacing the headliner? Because of the water leaks, that are now repaired, we have a stained headliner and wall panels in the front cab area.

The wall upholstery by the two back doors have started to rip due to sun damage. I am going to attempt to reupholster all the wall panels on my own but it is the headliner that gives me pause.

Any information and shared photos would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Sylvia in San Diego

Welcome to the forum Sylvia!

I have been fortunate that that has not been one of my problems. However, we have many helpful members that can probably offer their solutions.

In general though, for all my rv repairs I take the approach that if it's already broken I can't really make it worse by trying to repair things myself. In that rear area, since the surrounding walls are fine, I'd get some contrasting vinyl or cloth material and try to use the black strip as a joint hider and just recover the sun-damaged areas. Like I said, if you don't like the result, you can always do-over or take it to a professional to have it and the headliner done.

Best of luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote