Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek External Double Doors Mod NEED HELP!

Hi!
I have a Roadtrek 190 popular and need to make my double doors that swing out to swing ALL THE WAY OUT. Right now they stop at the hinge point, but I now need them to swing out to meet the vehicle.

Can anyone help me with suggestions and/or if anyone is in the San Diego area and knows how to work on these cars, I would love the help to get this done.

Thanks! Alana
Attached Images
File Type: jpg door1.jpg (158.2 KB, 24 views)
KeyatheRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:39 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyatheRV View Post
Hi!
I have a Roadtrek 190 popular and need to make my double doors that swing out to swing ALL THE WAY OUT. Right now they stop at the hinge point, but I now need them to swing out to meet the vehicle.

Can anyone help me with suggestions and/or if anyone is in the San Diego area and knows how to work on these cars, I would love the help to get this done.

Thanks! Alana

Welcome to the forum Alana!

That's going to be tough and probably require an articulated hinge (that may not exist). Do you need the doors to swing out like that once (perhaps to get something large through the opening on a one-time basis), or do you need the doors to open wider regularly? If it is the former, maybe a temporary disconect of the hinge stop. If it is the latter, well that's gonna be much harder, if not impossible.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:57 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyatheRV View Post
Hi!

Thanks! Alana
see: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post130275
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:05 AM   #4
Platinum Member

your limit strap looks different than my 2004 but you can open them further as linked above. You open the door all the way, close the door a bit while pulling the limit strap towards yourself, and then open the door all the way. If you spend some time on it you'll figure it out.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
your limit strap looks different than my 2004 but you can open them further as linked above. You open the door all the way, close the door a bit while pulling the limit strap towards yourself, and then open the door all the way. If you spend some time on it you'll figure it out.
I think this only applies to GM vans. My Chevy doors do this but I think Alana's might be a Dodge.
Uncle_Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #6
Platinum Member

It looks like from your picture if you remove the 2 bolts on the van side of the spring door limiter you might be able to swing the door further. Be careful to check that no body parts on the outside of the doors come into contact with your van body such as spare tires, door creases etc. Also watch the hinges that they can pivot as far as you want because the doors will become a very big lever and you could bend (or break) something out of shape will very little effort. Good luck.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help wanted, modification, roadtrek