Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Roadtrek generator options

I am selling a 2012 Roadtrek Popular 190 with a generator problem. Cummins dealer wanted $4,000 to replace it with a new model...said discontinued model so couldn't repair.
We used it hardly at all...for some AC or coffee during lunch stop. My daughter used it boondocking and said it was hot under the bed. So.... I don't want to replace it but understand potential buyers think they need one.
A: Could a gererator be installed under the hood?
B: If I spent the money for a Honda 2000 and added storage, would it be expensive to connect the generator to the electrical system?
I am an idiot about generators so any experience or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
Bronze Member

Find a new Cummins dealer.
Wandering Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Try taking it to a small engine repair place. They can do a lot with small engines.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

...or, drop the selling price and let the new owner decide the best option for them. For some people a generator is necessary (AC) and others its not. Undehood generator really only an option if have robust battery storage.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Wes View Post
Find a new Cummins dealer.
I agree. I wouldn't bother going to Cummins. They will be so much more expensive than an independent repair shop.
AndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I'm selling my Onan 2.8KW generator off my Roadtrek.
The generator starts easily and runs well.
I didn't use the generator except to exercise it.
Bill Gewain
New Bern, NC
Southridge72@gmail.com
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiverson View Post
I am selling a 2012 Roadtrek Popular 190 with a generator problem. Cummins dealer wanted $4,000 to replace it with a new model...said discontinued model so couldn't repair.
We used it hardly at all...for some AC or coffee during lunch stop. My daughter used it boondocking and said it was hot under the bed. So.... I don't want to replace it but understand potential buyers think they need one.
A: Could a gererator be installed under the hood?
B: If I spent the money for a Honda 2000 and added storage, would it be expensive to connect the generator to the electrical system?
I am an idiot about generators so any experience or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
I've had very bad experience with my Roadtrek Pop. 190 at Cummins in Gainesville GA, total ripoff. They were very dishonest. I'd suggest finding a different repair shop. Have you tried replacing the relay, fuel filter replacement, fouled plug etc.
TrekkerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:50 PM   #8

I have a 2006 RT Adventurous 22. My gen had 55 hrs on it and ran for a minute and quit each time I tried. I found a generator repair guy who over hauled it for $350 it now runs like new. If you are in NY try "MagPro" Home
beyond.denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:52 AM   #9

Default Honda 2000 generator a good alternative

We have a 1990 Dodge Roadtrek without generator and carry a Honda 2000 generator for those times we need 120v. No special electrical hookup needed - simply plug the van power cord into the generator (adaptor probably needed).

We have no problem running AC or microwave using the Honda 2000 (NOT both at the same time!) even though we have had many people tell us that we need a 2.8KW generator to do that. Not true - works fine without even straining the Honda.

The quiet generator is appreciated by fellow campers. We carry the generator inside the van and have never had any issues with gasoline smell, though it is a bit awkward having it underfoot at times. We carry a 2.5 gallon gas can on the back of the vehicle, right next to spare tire. We carry a cable bike lock to secure it to the bumper when deployed ... just to keep honest people honest.

Its not a perfect solution, but it is a lot cheaper than an Onan generator, quieter, and can be used for other tasks around home and farm. Overall for use, a good solution.
tbroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Mine doesn’t have a generator, either. It was purchased by my mother, who never camped off grid. Good to know the Honda 2000W does the job. I might well take that route if the need ever arises.

For this thread, however, it doesn’t make sense to buy a portable generator just to sell a newer unit that has an onboard generator. Find a good small engine mechanic who’ll work with you to get it going, or sell it as-is with an adjustment in price.

Tags
generator roadtrek