Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek Macerator Hose Replacement

I replaced the original macerator hose in two pieces in my 2006 Roadtrek 210P. The first piece attaches to the macerator and goes to the hose storage box. The hose is a Tiger Green TG100 1-inch inside diameter EPDM Suction Hose. The hose enters the storage box at the bottom and loops up to the top of the box. The Tiger Green hose is extremely durable but is somewhat stiff. The hose then attaches to a Thetford 21-foot Retracting Sani-Con RV Waste/Sewer Discharge Hose (part 70424). The Thetford hose is very flexible and compact, but can extend quite a bit.

The pictures show the setup. Note the thick attachment of the Thetford hose at each end. The hose had developed some small leaks after about 5 years. The leaks were due to flexing cracks near the attachment points. I taped the leaks with a waterproof black tape. Then I used my favorite sealer, Lexel, over the tape. I then cut sections from an old radiator hose and tiewrapped them over the Thetford hose to help seal and to relieve stress at these joints. Look closely and you see it is actually two different diameters of radiator hose over the Thetford. It looks clunky but it works fine. This hose is now 10 years old and working fine. If the Thetford deteriorates and develops cracks along its length I will replace it with another as this hose works great.

I apply 303 protectant to the Thetford hose once a year. This helps condition the hose material. I use 303 on everything rubber or vinyl (tires, electric cord, etc) and it seems to help reduce weathering.

Here is a link to the Tiger Green hose. I bought mine from a local distributor so I don’t know how it would work ordering from this place. I don’t recall the length I used but I am guessing 6-7 -ft. I think I bought a 10-ft length and then cut it down as I have a 3-ft section left over. That was 10-years ago so I don’t recall exactly.
https://www.cutandcouple.com/product...xoCD0kQAvD_BwE

The Thetford hose is available from Amazon and other places as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-7042...s%2C755&sr=8-1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roadtrek Macerator Hose1.jpg (170.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Roadtrek Macerator Hose2.jpg (370.8 KB, 122 views)
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Great info. The green hose on our 2010 210 is still in good shape but I'll do this if replacement is needed. I do have an extension that I've added to make access to dump station or our house cleanout easier, but as you mentioned the initial green house is fairly stiff.
I really like the idea of initial green section to the drawer, then a durable flex section from there.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It is nice that the Thetford, used to be Sani-con hose is available again. It looked like it was discontinued a couple of years ago and nobody had them.

Ours that I put on our 07 C190P Roadtrek is probably approaching 10 years old now and no leaks yet.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:34 AM   #4

Default Macerator Hose

Thank you for this information. Thr rv repair place should be able to replace my hose properly now.
Donna Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #5

I have to replace a cracked discharge hose too. I pulled the stiff hose that went through the box off. The end was broken, it was too stiff to easily roll up and the pump didn't seem able to pump through it. You can see by the picture that the section adjacent to the pump is still attached. It ends in a hose barb. I could probably attach the CleanDump 20' hose I just ordered, to it at the barb, but I should probably replace the other section, as it is worn. Do I need a second shorter hose, or can the 20-foot hose be stretched far enough? Also, I will need ramps to get enough working space under the van. Any recommendations on good ramps? Thanks!
Grizwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:21 PM   #6
Bronze Member

What is the make and model of your rig?

Thetford 21 FT Retracting Sani-Con RV Waste/Sewer Discharge Hose 70424
I just replaced the green macerator discharge hose on our 2009 Roadtrek RS Adventurous. It is so much easier to use than the stiff green hose. I hope it lasts.

I had to feed the new hose from the outside of the van into the box and then fish out the end going to the macerator. When installing it I should have lubricated the ends of the hose as they were a very snug fit in the tube going to the box. When the end of the hose hit the elbow bend in the tube I had to push fairly hard to get it past the elbow. Also I left a section of the green hose between the macerator and the box because the Thetford hose is so flexible it would droop and spill out of the box.

It is an easy fix.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:19 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Read the comments on the Amazon reviews. I'm surprised people give 2 stars after being sprayed with sewage.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #8

Thanks Stevmo. Were you referring to the Clean Dump or Thetford hose? Just looked at the first 25 reviews for each. Both products had a couple reviews where folks got sprayed with sewage! One takeaway from the reviews is to always test the dump with relatively clean water first.
Grizwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Those hoses disappeared from the market a few years ago for quite while before becoming available again.

Past experience, both in life and at work, tell me that it is likely that they were trying to change to a lower cost vendor for the hose and ran into problems.

The old hoses were extremely tough and I don't recall anyone having pinhole leaks or splits in them. We have had ours for a decade or so with issue.

Bummer if the new ones aren't as good.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I was referring to the Thetford hose. My 2004 has a sani-con hose and thankfully it's been reliable.
For those people who have a divider in their storage bay, how much space did Roadtrek give for the hose? I am planning on fabricating something for my 2004 190 Popular that doesn't have a divider.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
I was referring to the Thetford hose. My 2004 has a sani-con hose and thankfully it's been reliable.
For those people who have a divider in their storage bay, how much space did Roadtrek give for the hose? I am planning on fabricating something for my 2004 190 Popular that doesn't have a divider.

Thetford now seems to own Sanicon products, so they are probably the ones who messed up the old Sanicon hose quality.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:14 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Hi
Is the old green hose and the Thetford hose connected with the barbed fitting included with the Thetford?

Thanks
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
Hi
Is the old green hose and the Thetford hose connected with the barbed fitting included with the Thetford?

Thanks
The macerator has a barbed fitting. I left several inches of the old green hose attached to the macerator and used the supplied double barbed fitting to connect the old green hose to the new Thetford hose with a couple of hose clamps. So far so good.