Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #1

Default Roadtrek Suspension Upgrades

I sometimes tow a Fiat 500 behind my 2000 Roadtrek 190 Popular (Dodge Ram chassis). When going into a curve while towing, the back end of the Roadtrek gets "loose", requiring a small amount of countersteer to maintain control. Can anyone recommend suspension upgrades that would help with this issue?
Hal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Gold Member

I just added "Roadmaster" helper springs to the rear of my 1995 roadtrek 190 popular. I was looking mainly to compensate for the ageing of the springs. They increased the height at the wheel openings by about one inch. They also greatly reduced the sway I had experienced when cornering and driving at an angle across driveway exits or passing large trucks. I also installed 2 inch spacers on the rear wheels to make the rear track the same as the front wheels. This reduced the tendency of the van to wander around like a drunken sailor Neither mods where cheap, but both improved handling immensely.
blackbourn3704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:49 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbourn3704 View Post
I just added "Roadmaster" helper springs to the rear of my 1995 roadtrek 190 popular. I was looking mainly to compensate for the ageing of the springs. They increased the height at the wheel openings by about one inch. They also greatly reduced the sway I had experienced when cornering and driving at an angle across driveway exits or passing large trucks. I also installed 2 inch spacers on the rear wheels to make the rear track the same as the front wheels. This reduced the tendency of the van to wander around like a drunken sailor Neither mods where cheap, but both improved handling immensely.
If it works that well for you, then the cost was worth it. Were new shocks part of the upgrade? It's insidious how they wear out slowly and you don't realize how bad they are until you replace them.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
Gold Member

I replaced the front shocks with ones with a "helper" springs. they raised the front about an inch. Here's a link: https://www.truckspring.com/suspensi...st-shocks.aspx
I tried to do the same for the rear, but the modification from van to camper made the upper shock mount inaccessible. I therefore installed the "roadmaster" springs instead. Link : https://activesuspension.com/ I also installed wheel spacers . Link: http://www.customadeonly.com/1995-Do...Wheel-Spacers/ . Notes on the wheel spacers - the wells that take the original lug nuts are narrow so check lug wrench size. Also the new studs for the wheel are quite long. Again check lug wrench fitment before you get started in the installation. Hope this helps.
blackbourn3704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
Gold Member

Default Dodge 190 car towing

This does not directly answer your question but may be useful.
Several things can contribute to the counter steering issue you experienced getting out of hand resulting in loss of control.
1. Wet or gravel road surface.
2. Sharper turning
3. Applying brakes
4. Higher speed
In addition the longer the overhang from the rear axle to the hitch ball the more leverage the mass and momentum of the toad have on the steering of the towing vehicle. Short overhangs better. Small differences in overhang make a big difference in steering - PARTICULARLY IN A SUDDEN EMERGENCY SWERVE AND REFLEXIVE BRAKING.
If you noticed the need for countersteer then a red flag goes up to be very cautious.
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote