Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Arrow Shower-in-a-Drawer

After the installation of the Murphy bed, I started working on the rear kitchen of the van. The bottom drawer will contain the shower pan that I constructed some time ago. Watch my upcoming video.
Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
cargovanconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nice, creative solution to a problem!
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Pretty cool! Looking forward to seeing more...
JohnMFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #4
Gold Member

Very smart!
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

First of all, I think you are very smart to add some kind of a shower. The people who don't want body washing capacity in their Bs... I guess they aren't very active, maybe? Because it's not just a matter of etiquette, this business of staying clean. Rashes and even skin infections can occur with chronic dirt, if one is getting outside and doing intensive activities. Not to mention the soiling of bedding material, etc. if one is not washed.

That being said, I would never give up a fixed wet bath. Many people don't want them because of the van space they consume. But we spend weeks at a time off-grid, and "showers" often consist of one bucket of water placed on the floor of the wet bath, from which we wash and then ladle the rinse water over ourselves (showers would consume too much potable water volume). It splashes all over the place and it would be very difficult to control that mess if the enclosure were just a wrap-around curtain, for instance.

This year for the first time, we expanded our showering options to include a Sea to Summit pocket shower hung between two trees (we boondock on a piece of undeveloped land I have - privacy is not a problem). It was a huge improvement over the bucket method, but can't productively be used if biting flies are really bad or if the weather is awful.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have always like the Rialta slide out showers, but only the base, not the clumsy sides.

I have envisioned a drawer type slideout like shown, with the shower curtain actually stored in the perimeter of the base, so all you would do would be lift it up and hook it on the ceiling in a couple of spots.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Platinum Member

How will it drain?
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
First of all, I think you are very smart to add some kind of a shower. The people who don't want body washing capacity in their Bs... I guess they aren't very active, maybe? Because it's not just a matter of etiquette, this business of staying clean. Rashes and even skin infections can occur with chronic dirt, if one is getting outside and doing intensive activities. Not to mention the soiling of bedding material, etc. if one is not washed.

That being said, I would never give up a fixed wet bath. Many people don't want them because of the van space they consume. But we spend weeks at a time off-grid, and "showers" often consist of one bucket of water placed on the floor of the wet bath, from which we wash and then ladle the rinse water over ourselves (showers would consume too much potable water volume). It splashes all over the place and it would be very difficult to control that mess if the enclosure were just a wrap-around curtain, for instance.

This year for the first time, we expanded our showering options to include a Sea to Summit pocket shower hung between two trees (we boondock on a piece of undeveloped land I have - privacy is not a problem). It was a huge improvement over the bucket method, but can't productively be used if biting flies are really bad or if the weather is awful.

Showers will always be a compromise for Vandwellers and I would only consider a permanent bathroom in an extended length van. I usually take outside showers with any of the multitude of devices available today, but under certain circumstances, like winter, lack of privacy or these biting flies, I have now the opportunity take do it inside the van with some sort of comfort.

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 09-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I have always like the Rialta slide out showers, but only the base, not the clumsy sides.
I have envisioned a drawer type slideout like shown, with the shower curtain actually stored in the perimeter of the base, so all you would do would be lift it up and hook it on the ceiling in a couple of spots.

That's exactly how it's going to be: shower curtain with loops attached to the ceiling and (after drying) stored in the shower pan. I hope to include a sliding shower head hidden above the cabinets.

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 09-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
How will it drain?

I have the opportunity the drain it directly on to the ground through the rear doors, but will use a permanent connection to the gray water tank.

Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 09-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargovanconversion View Post
I have the opportunity the drain it directly on to the ground through the rear doors, but will use a permanent connection to the gray water tank.

Van Williams
Thanks!

-Robert
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I get the 404 error, so can't see your video. Your description sounds similar to my set-up.

https://msnomersvan.wordpress.com/20...01/the-shower/

We have used the shower a lot--an absolute must for avid hikers.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I get the 404 error, so can't see your video. Your description sounds similar to my set-up.
https://msnomersvan.wordpress.com/20...01/the-shower/
We have used the shower a lot--an absolute must for avid hikers.

We must be two peas in a pod, well... in a shower pan
Very interesting photos. Thought I had an interesting concept.

The video can be seen here http://cargovanconversion.com/projec...hower-in-a-box Have been busy all weekend with the website. Hosting issues, but it's working again in http, not yet in https. You can also go to my YouTube channel. I'm currently building the drawer into my kitchen cabinets, also right under the MaxxAir fan. Too many similarities. I will add a sliding shower head above the cabinets. Water can be drained outside through a hose, but I'll connect it to a gray water tank.
I will study your curtain; had not figured that out yet.
Van Williams

CargoVanConversion.com
Old 09-20-2018, 01:33 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Instead of "curtain", think "wall". The walls are taut, not folded like a curtain, so I can easily wipe them dry with a towel.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote