Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 04:45 AM   #1
TC8
Bronze Member

Default Solar powered lights w/motion activate

So I wanted a motion activated light when I go camping so that I would not trip over anything or run in to slithering creatures. So my solution was to use these lights from amazon and made the mounts from channeled aluminum so that I can remove them when I drive at nite.
TC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Very clever setup. Thanks for posting.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 05-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I wonder if it would scare bears away...
Old 05-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I bought the same ones and planning to use Velcro strips to attach when camped but those aluminum mounts look like a good option too.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
I wonder if it would scare bears away...
If there are bears close by they are probably habituated to campers and attracted by the smell of food. I doubt that the lights would deter them in their search for something to eat.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
If there are bears close by they are probably habituated to campers and attracted by the smell of food. I doubt that the lights would deter them in their search for something to eat.
I think that the lights are a nice gesture. Bears see pretty well in low light, but providing some assistance is the right thing to do.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I think that the lights are a nice gesture. Bears see pretty well in low light, but providing some assistance is the right thing to do.

Bud
Especially helpful to the older bears who may have some problems with their night vision...
Old 05-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Good modification! I bought similar lights for my VW Campervan with the added purpose of lighting up creepy people who want to 'check out' (at 3AM!) the cool toys on my utility trailer when I'm out boondocking. Your lights look like they are higher quality. Can you post a link to where you bought them?

How did you attach the aluminum channel to the van? Are the mounts strong enough to hold your lights on if you forget about them and drive off down the freeway?
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #9
TC8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post
Good modification! I bought similar lights for my VW Campervan with the added purpose of lighting up creepy people who want to 'check out' (at 3AM!) the cool toys on my utility trailer when I'm out boondocking. Your lights look like they are higher quality. Can you post a link to where you bought them?

How did you attach the aluminum channel to the van? Are the mounts strong enough to hold your lights on if you forget about them and drive off down the freeway?
Here is the link for the lights, I bent the bottom edge to prevent the light from sliding off. I used 3m heavy duty double sided tape to hold the aluminum mount. The mount and light will not come off. The one over the front passenger door is just to keep it from falling off the rain gutter. Light slides in and out.

https://www.amazon.com/Litom-Wireles...+outdoor&psc=1
Old 05-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
TC8
Bronze Member

Velcro gets too dirty and retains moisture. Aluminum does not rust. Double side tape is the less expensive option.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I know we are likely in the minority, but we really don't care for all the lighting that is showing up on campers lately. Some of the campgrounds we have been in have been lit up as bright as a city's downtown.

Campers tend to be fairly close together a lot of the time, so one persons security light can be shining right into his neighbors camper, or right through the side of their tent, and be very irritating, especially if it is on all night or comes on and off all night.

I guess we would prefer quiet time to also be dark time so it is more peaceful and less like being in the city.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #12
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC8 View Post
Velcro gets too dirty and retains moisture. Aluminum does not rust. Double side tape is the less expensive option.
Not really. Well, if you use the industrial strength kind.

I use white industrial strength Velcro on my spare tire cover, the scratchy side not the fuzzy side. Works well and is made for outdoor use, not just indoor. I don't really notice it as it does not look dirty at all.

This is not a 'ymmv' thing.

Bud
Old 05-23-2018, 04:43 PM   #13
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I know we are likely in the minority, but we really don't care for all the lighting that is showing up on campers lately. Some of the campgrounds we have been in have been lit up as bright as a city's downtown.

Campers tend to be fairly close together a lot of the time, so one persons security light can be shining right into his neighbors camper, or right through the side of their tent, and be very irritating, especially if it is on all night or comes on and off all night.

I guess we would prefer quiet time to also be dark time so it is more peaceful and less like being in the city.
Some call it 'light pollution' with laws in different parts of the world.

Bud
Old 05-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post

These are battery powered lights;
they are not that bright.

I agree though, sound and light pollution is aggravating in the "wild".
Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #15

Heavy duty magnets glued to the back of your lights works well too then you can put them where you want them
MaryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #16
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Some call it 'light pollution' with laws in different parts of the world.

Bud
We do not have campfires unless the grandkids and parents are with us. Prefer sounds of the night: owls, rustle of mice in grass etc. always worried about campfire getting away. Do not want to be remembered for “The Great Cundiff Fire”

In fact we have never had a campfire without the grandkids. Did have campfires to cook upon back in backpacking and mountaineering days long past
Reef and Elaine
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC8 View Post
To each his own, I have used industrial outdoor velcro with the fuzzy side on the back of what I am mounting and the hook side on the vehicle. No moisture on the vehicle side and not much retained on the fuzzy side. I have done this for a long time for lights and temperature sensors and it works fine for me. In this case, I might use the 3M version that is all plastic on both sides (no fuzzy side).

Double sided tape?? How would I remove the lights when not camped?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

True on the battery lights for the most part. We have a couple of magnetic stick on spot/flood type 10 watt lights that we can stick on the van side for backing in if the weather is really horrible and the ground is basically looking like the pad and road. We plug them in the accessory outlet for the coach batteries. I think they would light you up at 100 yards, so we would very rarely take them out, and never for just campsite lighting.

The two worst things we have run across were one class C that had huge LED porch lights on each side of the RV that he left on all night every night. He literally lit up his campsite and two on each side with them.

The other was in Zion and maybe a bit more understandable, but not much. The climbers are big there, and they seem to show up late and leave very early. They also have extremely powerful head lamps they wear instead of area lights. When they were getting ready to leave the campsites in the morning it looked like a laser light show with all the light beams zooming in every direction and in nearly everyone's windows. We saw one beam hit a tent in the campsite next door to them and you could see the people in it lit up through the fabric. It was impressive.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #19
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Hi bbq,

After your post, I went back and looked at the op light. I own the exact light, and it is probably brighter than you may be imagining.

Since it is so bright and keeping in mind booster's post, I would think that aiming the light would become important. It would be aimed I would think based on how close your neighbors are. Not too difficult, e.g. the magnet idea would just involve using different magnets and/or how many. A velcro solution could also be worked out with different mounting heights, same with magnets too.......

Bud

Bud
Old 05-24-2018, 03:50 AM   #20
TC8
Bronze Member

The way I mounted the “bracket” the light just slide in and out. I remove them while driving.