Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Someone tell me this is a good way to carry a kayak

The picture is from the 1993 Roadtrek brochure. Mine is a 95 Chevy and essentially the same van. I'm going on a fishing trip next month and need to bring the kayak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canoe_on_1993_Roadtrek.jpg (125.4 KB, 35 views)
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi.
I have been looking for a better way to carry my 14 fishing kayak.
I am going to mount it up there. But I am going to use the rain gutter type racks to keep the weight off the fiberglass roof.
The roof seems to be a little thin,and it's cracking is a worry for me.
I will have to modify the racks a little. But I think it's worth it to ensure that I don't damage the roof.
I have two solar panels up there now. But their weight is nothing to worry over.
I fear that the age of the roof,plus the thiness of the fiberglass. Would make the kayaks weight too much.
Please let me know if you come with with I better way.
I have actually installed D rings under my awning. Thought about carrying it on the side of the van. Worried that it might make it a bit too wide ? It would also block the double side doors. But , the passenger front door is still useable . Have never seen one carried here? Wondering if there is a reason I haven't thought of?
Best of luck .
Cheers
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraygunz View Post
Hi.
I have been looking for a better way to carry my 14 fishing kayak.
I am going to mount it up there. But I am going to use the rain gutter type racks to keep the weight off the fiberglass roof.
The roof seems to be a little thin,and it's cracking is a worry for me.
I will have to modify the racks a little. But I think it's worth it to ensure that I don't damage the roof.
I have two solar panels up there now. But their weight is nothing to worry over.
I fear that the age of the roof,plus the thiness of the fiberglass. Would make the kayaks weight too much.
Please let me know if you come with with I better way.
I have actually installed D rings under my awning. Thought about carrying it on the side of the van. Worried that it might make it a bit too wide ? It would also block the double side doors. But , the passenger front door is still useable . Have never seen one carried here? Wondering if there is a reason I haven't thought of?
Best of luck .
Cheers
Eddie
Eddie, greetings. I to find myself with the same predicament... You mentioned using the rain gutters. Have you found a source for some that are tall enough to clear the fiberglass roof? If so could you please send me the link/contact info. So fat I have had zero luck locating anything. Thanks. Best. Shorty sends... BTW my platform is a 2014 Roadtrek Popular 190. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Blessed with way more than I deserve.
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hi
I am going to modify the common van type racks.
Found them very cheap at Walmart on line....like 37$.
All you have to do is get some 4" wide flat stick( Home Depot) line it up and drill eight holes.
Super easy.
Have made mine,but not mounted yet.
I am repainting the van first.
Almost done .
When it's all done I will post some pics
Thanks and cheers
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I seen a picture somewhere that used the method you are talking about. Don't know if they were home made or not.
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote