Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Spare tire cover

Just put on a custom spare tire cover mural and it looks great! After some thought, because it looks great, I thought about theft of the cover. BUMMER! Our trip to the east coast this summer will allow many people to see this cover and there might be a few people that would like to have said cover as it has a large bear head and the word Alaska on it. Now I have to keep said cover on the spare tire securely. My thought is to drill holes in the cover and use small dia. SS cable under the band and around the spare. The band will hide the holes and the cable except for what is behind the tire. I think that a screwdriver could pry off the cover with ease but not the band. I know I cant prevent all theft but I would like to make it a little harder for them! The chance of them carrying bolt cutters or side cutters is at least a little slimmer. So... any thoughts on something better or different?
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:10 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Spare tire cover

Doesn't the band have eyelets for a padlock? Perhaps I'm not understanding your setup.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #3
Platinum Member

After re-reading my post, I can see that I wasn't clear on my question. The cover is the fiberglass piece that hides the rim and the tire sidewall. The band is what holds the cover in place. It is the typical stainless band that is on most older Bs. I felt that people could pry between the cover and band rather easily and steal the cover. Any ideas?
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Would be thieves might not notice your extra security measures and try to steal the cover anyway damaging it in the process. I'd put it on and enjoy it.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote