Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Sumosprings on Roadtrek 210P Installation

I had Sumosprings installed on a 2013 Roadtrek 210P. I'm wondering if this was installed properly? Any advice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20211122_220146067.jpg (194.0 KB, 62 views)
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Looks wrong. I would share this photo with Super Springs who is the supplier of Sumos. They are friendly and helpful people. Give them a call...

https://www.superspringsinternational.com/
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:54 AM   #3
Platinum Member

that's incorrect

mine are attached at the top and rest on the TOP of the axle

too late in the day now, but if you need a pic I can do that for you

2006 Pleasure Way Lexor on a 2005 chev 3500

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:05 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Looks wrong. I would share this photo with Super Springs who is the supplier of Sumos. They are friendly and helpful people. Give them a call...

https://www.superspringsinternational.com/
Agree. The 210 setup is different from the 190, but regardless, the bottom resting point where the sumo springs rest should be larger. My sumo spring looks like yours, but on my Chevy (not a 210) it sits fully supported on the rear axle.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:19 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Ask for Gerry, use my name if you want - they would NOT want their product installed as such.

There are Bump Stops for the front & then there are Sumo Springs for the rear which are designed to come into contact with the axle only under stress.

Below are 5 photos of both types on my Rig - I was fortunate to be an early adopter of their products including the Supersprings also - stellar company, excellent product, exceptional service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200615_174118_resized.jpg (195.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20200229_134102_resized.jpg (266.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20180506_171412_resized.jpg (238.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20180530_151107_resized.jpg (227.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20180530_151136_resized(1).jpg (214.3 KB, 24 views)
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Ask for Gerry, use my name if you want - they would NOT want their product installed as such.

There are Bump Stops for the front & then there are Sumo Springs for the rear which are designed to come into contact with the axle only under stress.

Below are 5 photos of both types on my Rig - I was fortunate to be an early adopter of their products including the Supersprings also - stellar company, excellent product, exceptional service.
Looks like it would take a very large bump to compress the rear spring enough for the Sumo to hit the axle. We’re you able to drive the van after the lift but before the Sumo was installed to see what difference just the Sumo made?
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:04 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
& then there are Sumo Springs for the rear which are designed to come into contact with the axle only under stress.

1.) your bump stops look proud of the axle about the same distance as the blocks lifting your van.

is that correct?

my van isn't lifted, my sumos are much closer on level about 3/8" proud of the axle

2.) Sumo doesn't ( or no longer) offer bumpstops for the front for earlier than 2007 chassis- what part number did you use?

I had asked them about the SSF-204-47 for my 2006 RV on a 2005 Chev chassis

Mike
Old 11-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Looks like it would take a very large bump to compress the rear spring enough for the Sumo to hit the axle. We’re you able to drive the van after the lift but before the Sumo was installed to see what difference just the Sumo made?

Therein lies an issue all should be aware of, especially those that are looking to go higher than the stock ride height. I would bet most of these products are designed around stock ride height or a bit higher and if you are not looking for that height, they can be either too effective or not effective enough as they have a relatively short range of optimum spring rate. Going higher is the norm, I think, in non stock height use so you commonly see a saddle on the axle with solid spacers on it to get to the right compression point. The way that one is mounted very poor, IMO, and should be changed, including spacers on the axle if needed. Of course, the axle may be hanging so we aren't seeing the actual weighted height. I think it might have a wheel leaning on the side of the van in the pic, but not certain.

Airbags can have the same issues as they also have a limited range, so also keep that in mind if using them. They don't, however, have high progressiveness of the Urethane springs so don't get harsh at higher compressions.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:49 PM   #9
Platinum Member

This non-technical answer I hope clarifies what is going on;

The Supersprings rear modification happened first & the vehicle had a stink bug appearance of about 3 inches instant lift in the rear. Added a spacer that were working on that failed. Had the Sumo Springs installed same time.

Then came Bill Erb/Valley Spring Works & I got a 2.75 inch lift up front. While there, he treated my rear leaf springs & added an extra leaf. Suddenly I had a Sports Car feel. He also added KYB Monomax shocks that were in a State of Failure within 2 years.

Next is where my Sumo Springs became decorative rather than functional.

Then I went to Weldtec Design for a 2 inch front spacer lift but left with a 3 inch Spindle Kit up front, the 2 inch Aluminum Billet block in the rear, 4 Heavy Duty Bilsteins & 18 inch Method Rims & Tires.

As for the Bump Stop part numbers, I recommend you call Gerry the owner or anyone else in the technical team & get the right answer.

I do know that when I popped in to say Hi a year ago he said "Wakefield let's put some new Bump Stops in there, they are at least 6 years old ..."

And they didn't charge me.

They must be doing something right, even by last year the company had quadrupled in size.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 11-24-2021, 12:30 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
They must be doing something right, even by last year the company had quadrupled in size.

yes, it shows

unfortunately the 3 people I had contact with could not answer my application question and simply read the same catalog entry to me.

Cheers, Mike
Old 11-24-2021, 01:23 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
yes, it shows

unfortunately the 3 people I had contact with could not answer my application question and simply read the same catalog entry to me.

Cheers, Mike
Could you pm me or give me all the details of your rig here & I will email the owner - actually I see them here,;

had asked them about the SSF-204-47 for my 2006 RV on a 2005 Chev chassis

What exactly do you need, Bump Stops or Sumo Springs?

And any other detail.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Mike,

Check your pm in 2 minutes, I have a privileged communication between the Owner & I to share.

I don't know if he is going to post on here or not but "he is on to it ..."
Old 11-24-2021, 04:41 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Here you go DIVER & MK GUITAR.

He is super busy but maybe call Gerry directly.

Please click on screenshots for details
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211124-091914_Gmail.jpg (138.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211124-091834_Gmail.jpg (58.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 11-24-2021, 09:20 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Thank You for your help- I will reach out to Gerry after the holiday

I scribbled down the info I needed if you want to delete that screenshot

Cheers, Mike
Old 11-25-2021, 01:43 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Thank You for your help- I will reach out to Gerry after the holiday

I scribbled down the info I needed if you want to delete that screenshot

Cheers, Mike
You are welcome, trying to delete the screenshots but it won't let me edit the post.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:17 AM   #16
Platinum Member

I tried to remove Gerry's details, IN THE FUTURE the person to talk with at Supersprings is MARK JUTSON.

He explained to me they have already been in contact with DIVER @ Post #1 & this is his reply:

As to the inquiry related to post #1. This gentleman had contacted us prior and we had a lengthy online discussion. Bottom line was the modification made by the builder, ie.. the adding of a lift block which has a raised narrow perch for the OE stop to contact if necessary, is not ideal for the use of our kit which is designed to work on a broader axle surface. Will it work?, well yes it is working now , again just not ideally. We try to refrain from suggesting further modification to existing chassis modifications. The other poster was correct our kit which do have some adjustability are designed to work stock suspension geometries. Additionally just removing the product was provided as an option, if left in any warranties would likely not be supported. One must at that point determine the benefits as it exists or determine based on own their experience how to mod a mod.

To remark on some of the other questions, on a typical classs B built van it’s our experience and general intent that the Sumo in the form of a Solo kit [oversized to OE and attached one side only] be in contact at all time with the amount of pressure a variable based on what the particular load demands. Promasters, Transits, Sprinters and yes GM express van chassis all should follow this logic, note this is for 2wd models, 4x4 it may go either way. Using the spring as a load/sway device vs. it being just a dynamic damper.END

Post #5 is actually myself & this is his reply (remember that I detailed the modifications that made the SumoSprings decorative & not functional;

For poster #5, set up looks quite good although again were talking mod of a mod, the lift block in back has rendered the Sumo for the most part ineffective. This unless it was a 4x4 and then that one’s effective dampener. If a 2wd than and her we go where really the owner must takes the reins . I’ve added a two inch block to the back, I should either provide a suitable landing surface on the axle up to or near the stock position for the Sumo to work with or add some top down spacer mechanism given the restraints of the springs attachment method. END

And this is for you MK at Post #7 (I think he is asking for more detail or for you to call him directly)

As to the poster #7 who was interested in front SumoSpings for a 2006/2005 GM van , chassis not specified. We always try to assist individuals as much as possible to the degree we can actually help. I f we don’t have an application It would be unfair to categorize it as being given the run around. Our techs are not trained to provide on the spot new or modified applications, just to provide the known working applications. Anything less or more I would consider as being given the runaround. END

This is good customer service, think Mark & I met when I was last up there, he was very interested in finding out what he could do to help, both then & now.

Hope this helps ...
Old 11-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #17

I had the same sumos put into my 2019C210P. Those "tabs" or little "shelf" the rear SumoSprings are sitting on had to be sawed off for the bump stops to rest properly just above the axle.
LimboMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #18

Mine after the 'fix'

https://scontent.fybz2-1.fna.fbcdn.n...94&oe=61C7B3CF Mine before the removal of the 'tab'
Old 11-28-2021, 06:05 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboMan View Post
Mine after the 'fix'

https://scontent.fybz2-1.fna.fbcdn.n...94&oe=61C7B3CF Mine before the removal of the 'tab'
Two excellent photos & am I correct in seeing an "aftermarket lift block in the first photo?"

Do you have other modifications?
Old 11-28-2021, 08:57 PM   #20

Since I bought brand new from "legacy" Roadtrek in 2019 I kept everything stock until I swapped out OEM shocks for Bilsteins and the SumoSprings from OEM hard rubber bump stops on all four corners. Couldn't wrap my mind around spending even more money on a brand new vehicle but boy was it money well spent!