Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Tank level monitoring on a smart phone

I was looking for a level sensor for DEF tank in my Sprinter and run into this interesting unit. It is based on different echo above and below fluid level. This Swedish monitor will work on any fluid on any tank. It is not cheap $170 in Marine Sanitation and Supply $300 in West Marine / level. Simple install, attach the sensor, connect ignition power 12V, download the app and calibrate. https://www.gobiuspro.com/

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Do the newest model Sprinters give a read out of your DEF tank level? I guess I will find out next month. My 2015 just tells me when it is needing filling with about a 500 mile grace period before it starts counting down. My driving habits I just assume when I get to 7,000 miles it will take a 2-1/2 gallons of DEF you can pick up at any auto store or Walmart if not a truck stop. I don't think I would spend $300 to get a real time report with my experience in judging.

Since it is hardware I would think you would need one for every tank if you desired to do that. The Silverleaf monitor ARV supplies gives a level for black, grey and fresh water by percentage in 1% increments. There is also an app for a smartphone for all those Silverleaf reports by an internal wifi ranger to communicate when no external wifi is available.

That Silverleaf monitor with about a 7" screen readout looks simple but there is a cabinet full of hardware modules and wiring from throughout the van making it happen. Now you know why ARVs cost so much.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Do the newest model Sprinters give a read out of your DEF tank level? I guess I will find out next month. My 2015 just tells me when it is needing filling with about a 500 mile grace period before it starts counting down. My driving habits I just assume when I get to 7,000 miles it will take a 2-1/2 gallons of DEF you can pick up at any auto store or Walmart if not a truck stop. I don't think I would spend $300 to get a real time report with my experience in judging.

Since it is hardware I would think you would need one for every tank if you desired to do that. The Silverleaf monitor ARV supplies gives a level for black, grey and fresh water by percentage in 1% increments. There is also an app for a smartphone for all those Silverleaf reports by an internal wifi ranger to communicate when no external wifi is available.

That Silverleaf monitor with about a 7" screen readout looks simple but there is a cabinet full of hardware modules and wiring from throughout the van making it happen. Now you know why ARVs cost so much.
Based on the recall thread on the Sprinter Forum reading on new vans varies with display type. Higher level, the one which has TPMS four wheels readout has nice DEF gauge.

My DEF tank is 3.2 gal (your is likely 4.8 gal) so at 2.5 gal fill I am close the bottom. If I have a ½ level sensor I could use 2 MB ½ gal DEF bottles per fill.
What type of fluid level sensors you have to attain 1% accuracy? I would assume not capacitive, weight?

No, I still don't know why ARV costs so much, sorry Dave.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank level monitor