Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2022, 10:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Thor Rize/Scope generator placement

New owner of an 18M. Generally, I like how they were able to maximize the small space. However, as has been pointed out be various reviews and reviewers, the generator is hanging awfully close to the road, way lower than the rear axle, which hampers the ground clearance.

One review mentions that they are now moving the generator to a new position, and apparently Thor provides kits to repair places to do that conversion.

Has anyone done that yet... how difficult... how's the improvement... did you have to leave your rig for a month or two at the dealer...
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
New owner of an 18M. Generally, I like how they were able to maximize the small space. However, as has been pointed out be various reviews and reviewers, the generator is hanging awfully close to the road, way lower than the rear axle, which hampers the ground clearance.
Yikes... as if the rear axle wasn't low enough already...

Sounds like the second alternator option of the Roadtreks would have been a better option. (especially for haters of Onans like me)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Sounds like the second alternator option of the Roadtreks would have been a better option. (especially for haters of Onans like me)
Maybe... idling the engine always seemed wasteful to me. Maybe makes more sense for LiFePO systems.

I was amazed how quiet that Onan is, must be a special edition or something. Not sure for how long I will enjoy it though, the next speed bump will probably rip it off anyway.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:33 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe... idling the engine always seemed wasteful to me. Maybe makes more sense for LiFePO systems.

I was amazed how quiet that Onan is, must be a special edition or something. Not sure for how long I will enjoy it though, the next speed bump will probably rip it off anyway.
You probably have the new Onan 2800i inverter model. Just came out last yr(2021). They are very sought after. How are you planning on charging your battery bank? If you plan to drive every 2-3 days, maybe that will work?
Old 01-07-2022, 04:03 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
You probably have the new Onan 2800i inverter model. Just came out last yr(2021). They are very sought after.
Yeah, I think that's the one. Good to know!

Quote:
How are you planning on charging your battery bank? If you plan to drive every 2-3 days, maybe that will work?
You mean, after the speed bump took care of the Onan? I was kidding about that, sort of, maybe, well. That's why the original post.

In any case, the rig has 190W of solar which I think should maintain the refrigerator (correct me if I am wrong... assuming full sun, and the refrigerator using 45W whenever it cools). The big hogs (AC, MW) don't run off the batteries anyway, so that leaves smallish things like water pump and lights. Not sure how often I'd need to top off the battery, and most likely will be driving every 2 to 3 days anyway, yes.

The Rize has a generator auto-start function too, so that could be used to keep it cool for a pet, or just to come on automatically when the battery goes below some set voltage. Quiet times and duration can also be programmed. Pretty cool.

This seems much better than the abused Class C rigs I have rented before, they always seemed to run out of battery in the morning hours, waking us via the piercing CO alarm, reminding us bright and early to let the engine idle for a while to stop the noise.

As much as I like the centralized BMPro panel, I wish there was a simple Amp draw display so I would know how much is sucked out of the battery at any given time.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:15 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I think that's the one. Good to know!

You mean, after the speed bump took care of the Onan? I was kidding about that, sort of, maybe, well. That's why the original post.

In any case, the rig has 190W of solar which I think should maintain the refrigerator (correct me if I am wrong... assuming full sun, and the refrigerator using 45W whenever it cools). The big hogs (AC, MW) don't run off the batteries anyway, so that leaves smallish things like water pump and lights. Not sure how often I'd need to top off the battery, and most likely will be driving every 2 to 3 days anyway, yes.

The Rize has a generator auto-start function too, so that could be used to keep it cool for a pet, or just to come on automatically when the battery goes below some set voltage. Quiet times and duration can also be programmed. Pretty cool.

This seems much better than the abused Class C rigs I have rented before, they always seemed to run out of battery in the morning hours, waking us via the piercing CO alarm, reminding us bright and early to let the engine idle for a while to stop the noise.

As much as I like the centralized BMPro panel, I wish there was a simple Amp draw display so I would know how much is sucked out of the battery at any given time.
I think most Class Bs have gennys way to close to ground. My genny was about 6 inches. I got a couple of inches by adding an extra leaf spring on each side and Sumo Springs(yellow). They sell a shield to protect the genny. I believe company is called juggernaut? Runs about $400.00 It is a bolt on if you have the standard Onan genny mount.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think most Class Bs have gennys way to close to ground. My genny was about 6 inches. I got a couple of inches by adding an extra leaf spring on each side and Sumo Springs(yellow). They sell a shield to protect the genny. I believe company is called juggernaut? Runs about $400.00 It is a bolt on if you have the standard Onan genny mount.
6"???

This thing has 3" until the red cable protector, and 3.5" until things hit the generator. So if I put a protector on it, the clearance will be what, 2"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220107_121925.jpg (183.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 01-07-2022, 07:35 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
6"???

This thing has 3" until the red cable protector, and 3.5" until things hit the generator. So if I put a protector on it, the clearance will be what, 2"?
You are a lot closer than I have ever seen. If they cannot move it to a respectable location? I would consider a 3 inch lift kit? I have read the lift kits will damage CV joints overtime?
Old 01-07-2022, 07:48 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
You are a lot closer than I have ever seen. If they cannot move it to a respectable location? I would consider a 3 inch lift kit? I have read the lift kits will damage CV joints overtime?
I do hope they can fix that. A lift kit makes for issues with handling (higher point of gravity) and wind... plus the CV joints and suspension... so yeah, not really a great solution.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:21 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
I do hope they can fix that. A lift kit makes for issues with handling (higher point of gravity) and wind... plus the CV joints and suspension... so yeah, not really a great solution.
Not to mention it voids your Promaster warranty for any of that damage... and it can get super expensive according to reports.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 01-07-2022, 08:27 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just occurred to me. If Thor cannot move to suitable location. You might want to consider mounting in front. Van compass makes a hitch connection for the front. I looked at this to carry a portable genny. Did not like the noise/smell of the Onan. Only issue is that it tends to block air flow to radiator. Also makes the van longer and more difficult to park. It might attract thieves since the genny will be in plain sight. Just a consideration.

The underhood dedicated alternators are also very close to ground. They also tend to have ground clearance issues. At least they will be hidden from potential thieves.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:21 AM   #12
Platinum Member

You mean in front of the front bumper? That would be odd...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 01-08-2022, 03:32 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
6"???

Wow! You weren't kidding that thing is mounted dangerously low.

The first thing is try some ramps to lift the rear so you can get under and correct the angle of the positive cable so it doesn't hang lower than the generator case. Just loosen it ever so slightly, rotate the cable lug from the 7 o'clock position to a 9 o'clock or higher position. That will buy you an inch.

Maybe yellow Sumo Springs on the rear only will get another inch or so. But man, that thing is just too low for comfort.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Appears there IS now a recall from Thor, so l got an appointment in 6 weeks to get that fixed. 🤞
Old 01-08-2022, 07:20 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Appears there IS now a recall from Thor, so l got an appointment in 6 weeks to get that fixed. 🤞
Good deal. Although I'm wondering how much improvement they can make. The Promasters are the lowest in terms of mounting room and if I recall correctly the new Onan inverter generators are about an inch taller than older models. Let us know how it goes.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:35 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Good deal. Although I'm wondering how much improvement they can make. The Promasters are the lowest in terms of mounting room and if I recall correctly the new Onan inverter generators are about an inch taller than older models. Let us know how it goes.
Will do. I noticed that the battery sitting next to the generator is just as low, I hope they have a lift kit for that thing too. I saw a video where the placement of the generator is slightly more upfront. We'll see if that improves things or not, driving over a bump something centered between the two wheels may suffer quicker than something really close to one axle... well at least that's what I imagine when jumping over speed bumps.

Just came back from my first outing with the Rize, and there were quite a bit of unpaved roads involved. Nothing drastic happened, but the red generator contact cover thing got pushed backwards. Maybe a close call.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:44 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Will do. I noticed that the battery sitting next to the generator is just as low...
So yeah. The ground clearance of that battery is also a ridiculous ~3.5in (see pic). What throws me is that there is actually about 2.5-3in space on top of the battery, so they could have shortened the brackets by that and the battery would be at a much safer height.

Is there any reason to leave that much space? Maybe reuse existing parts from another model??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22012501.jpg (155.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 22012502.jpg (145.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-26-2022, 10:50 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
So yeah. The ground clearance of that battery is also a ridiculous ~3.5in (see pic). What throws me is that there is actually about 2.5-3in space on top of the battery, so they could have shortened the brackets by that and the battery would be at a much safer height.

Is there any reason to leave that much space? Maybe reuse existing parts from another model??
That is dangerously low. Can you modify/cut bracket to increase ground clearance?
Old 01-26-2022, 02:09 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
On my Transit based Coachmen, the two AGM's are up under the rear fenders in what looks like the same location as on your Ram. As came from the factory, there is very little room between the terminals and the Transit frame, such that one has to be very cautious when removing/replacing them lest one initiate some impromptu arc welding.

Based on my experience, I'd say your batteries could be raised up quite a bit. Probably by modifying the brackets that hold up the tray.

On mine, the tray is wide enough that I was able to tip the AGM's on their side, giving me easy access to the terminals.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200212_151935498.jpg (738.2 KB, 132 views)
Old 01-26-2022, 04:21 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Thanks for your reply and photo Michael, that is an interesting solution. (Me picturing a slow sulfuric acid drip ). I will definitely mention this when they are going to relocate the generator.

Just wondering if there was a technical reason for leaving so much space above them, I mean it's not like one has to access the terminals all the time.