Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Tools and methods for DIY projects.

I am finishing a few remaining tasks on my van and want to share tools I used, some old, some dead, and some new.

Changing from Espar DigiMax thermostat controlling the Espar D2 heater to Eberspacher Easystart Timer to control both, the D2 heater and the Hydronic D5 water heater. This job required threading a cable from the D5 located below the floor and behind front left wheel to passenger seat D2 location. 2 tools were priceless, an old screw holder to fish out a lead wire and Wi-Fi endoscope to find hidden penetration hole. I was able to get through without drilling a single hole. I bought the endoscope a while back, ordered the unit with a short semi rigid cable but by mistake received a 2m long cable, great for doing self-colonoscopy on YouTube.

Another part of the project was to drill new holes for the Easystart and the temperature sensor. I wanted to cover old holes with the new device so reasonably accurate location of new holes was necessary. I printed, in 1 to 1 scale, new holes, old holes and both contours on transparency. Aligned the transparency with old holes and transpose locations of new holes was easy.

Another tool which unfortunately died was my optical center punch, I had this tool for 40 years. I don’t think repair would be easy, the trigger release mechanism broke, perhaps a gunsmith shop could fix it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00493.JPG (497.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00483.JPG (344.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00485.JPG (391.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00494.JPG (363.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg GZR01677.JPG (497.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00497.JPG (358.4 KB, 37 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:05 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I am installing the Eberspacher Easystart Timer to control both, the Airtronics D2 and the Hydronic D5. The benefits are to have diagnostics and switching capabilities for both from the inside of the van.

This post is about special crimping tool making the job easier. I used this crimper in the past during the Airtronics D2 installation. See the pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Easystart timer wiring diagram 12 9 2018.JPG (120.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg GZR01708.JPG (336.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg GZR01712.JPG (384.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg GZR01711.JPG (475.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg GZR01713.JPG (446.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg GZR01714.JPG (456.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg GZR01715.JPG (481.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
This post is about special crimping tool making the job easier. I used this crimper in the past during the Airtronics D2 installation. See the pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Totally agree that if you do basic electrical work these are a worthwhile investment. These type of ratcheting crimping tools are so nice to use. The fact that you can change the dies to accommodate different type of terminals and wire sizes is a plus. They are so much better than a basic pinch type wire stripper with the oval openings.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:51 AM   #4
Platinum Member

In my crusade of silencing the van I replaced the inexpensive piano hinge on my main table to eliminate occasional rattle and reduce its profile height with an extrusion style hinge. To mount I decided to use rivets instead of sheet metal screws. My ancient Craftsman rivet gun kick the bucket, the pulling jaws no longer worked. So, against my grain I went to the Harbor Freight store and purchased for $16 ($10-20%) THE rivet gun, in one word summary - WOW.

I remember in seventies Japanese junk tools, it was junk indeed, it seems as Chinese déjà vu.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00566.JPG (324.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00568.JPG (361.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00571.JPG (344.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00579.JPG (386.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00588.JPG (444.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00589.JPG (461.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-28-2019, 05:25 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Default A wire stripping tool

Almost ½ Century apart. Original from Snap-on bought in 1975 and the new one from Klein purchased recently. I think Snap-on was the original patent holder. Practically indispensable tool for anyone doing an electrical automotive or RV work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00792.JPG (241.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-30-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Great posts on the tools. I love the Klien wire stripper. I've recently purchased - but haven't yet used - a hydraulic wire crimper. In need to make some better cables for my Lithium/AGM setup and am thinking this will be the ticket for the #2 AWG wires that I'm putting in..

https://www.harborfreight.com/hydrau...ool-66150.html
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post
Great posts on the tools. I love the Klien wire stripper. I've recently purchased - but haven't yet used - a hydraulic wire crimper. In need to make some better cables for my Lithium/AGM setup and am thinking this will be the ticket for the #2 AWG wires that I'm putting in..

https://www.harborfreight.com/hydrau...ool-66150.html
I have this tool and just used it for #8 AWG using their # 4/2 AWG dies, it is good crimper but their dies numbers are way off, so check it out. For my battery lugs 1/0 AWG I used 16T unit from Amazon like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZA2P3XM...detail_3?psc=1 These hydraulic crimpers are notorious for rather meaningless numbers on their dies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR01852.JPG (316.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg GZR01855.JPG (280.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I don't know if Snap-on was the original patent holder on those strippers or not, but they have been around for a long time. There were lots of old ones around when I started in a machinery building company in the mid 1960s. I have a Craftsman one from that era, so there were either private label or run out patents by then. I don't recall the original manufacturers names on the old ones around back then.

What was odd to me was that around the late 80s, those styles of strippers started to get much harder to find for some reason. Several people I know looked all over and wound up borrowing my old Sears one. There were all kinds of new designs of strippers coming out that were all going to be the greatest ever, but the weren't. I have still found nothing to compare to the design myself, and I use my old Crafstman all the time and it has been used a lot, especially in the years I was building machinery. It is good to see them readily available again, when I go to the store.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Electrical schematic

So, what is one of your most prized possessions directly related to resolving and fixing problems with your B.

For me, it is the high-resolution print printed on high definition film, it is clear laminated for durability and it is priceless. It is a complete, actual, real, and up to date electrical schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00804.JPG (472.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-06-2019, 02:34 AM   #10
Platinum Member

My old crimper for big lugs is at that point where it should be thrown on the scrap pile. Since I tend to use Ancor lugs I assume I should get one from them. It seems that the 702040 has been replaced by the 703040. Does anyone have experience with them? Should I go with the newer model?

Thanks
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:50 AM   #11
Platinum Member

For my conversion I used 16T hydraulic crimper and it worked like a dream. For smaller wires I used one from HF. Dies numbering is useless so you need to check which die set is correct. https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Bat...FGK6XTYSVAJJK9 There are many of them on Amazon and quality tends to be good, had no leaks yet.
Attached Images
File Type: png df.png (241.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #12
Platinum Member

This rivnut setter was practically a necessary tool for my conversion work. For most of components like tanks, Espar D5, Isotemp water heater, water pump etc. under the van I used 5/16-18 rivnuts. For the overhead cabinets I used same size rivnuts.

The setter is fast and it is easy to keep collapsing rivnuts straight. No spinning problems.

For small places I use McMaster setter, it requires some attention to keep collapsing straight and it takes quite bit more time. For a couple plusenuts on a ¼” plywood I used my McMaster setter.
Attached Images
File Type: png sdg.png (185.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png df.png (37.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Incra

I just used my new t-rule, seems as a ruler is a ruler, not much invention there. But this one is different; it is much better for precise marking. It requires 0.5mm mechanical pencil. I have a few gadgets from Incra and they made amazing tools. Their miters and router tables are one of a kind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR03038.JPG (324.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg GZR03037.JPG (371.5 KB, 6 views)