Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2021, 12:25 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Trick to make Sprinter Roadtrek fridge work better

I purchased a really well maintained 2011 Roadtrek a couple of years ago. The fridge was problematic and never got cold enough. The problem is the design and install right below the windows that makes venting a problem. Keeping the ambient temperature low is the most important thing to a Dometic fridge operating properly, and the ambient temperature tended to increase more than it should due to poor venting, especially in warmer weather. Roadtrek sort of solved this by installing a couple of computer fans attached to a low voltage thermocouple that measures the temperature of the coils. When the coils get hot, the tiny fans come on and help purge the chamber of warm air, thus lowering the ambient temperature.

The problem with this is that the ambient temperature is usually already too high for some time when the thermocouple turns on the fans. Additionally, these fans will cycle on and off all night, and they are audible and annoying when trying to sleep.

What I did was simply jump the wires from the hot end of the thermocouple to the fans with a toggle switch that I installed on the front of the fridge. I can turn the switch "on" and the fans will run continuously. In the "off" position the fans will run as intended via the thermocouple. In warm weather we leave the fans on all of the time and always at night. The very slight constant hum of the fans is far less annoying than the constant cycling. The fans are tiny and electricity consumption is not something to be concerned with.

I've been using this mod for over a year. I've never had any issues with the fridge since. We make 4 trays of ice every night. Cost of mod was less than $5 for the toggle switch with some wire and connectors I had lying around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211113_165301242.jpg (90.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211113_165223125.jpg (141.0 KB, 20 views)
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:23 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Is that a Propane Dometic 3 Way?

If so, its a great fix & many others here would be interested.

For me, one of the happiest days of my RV Experience was giving my 3 Way to a friend with a Cabin & installing a Novakool Compressor Fridge & the Solar to support it.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Yes. it's a three way. I hardly ever use propane, so I didn't think to mention it, but I have used the fans while using propane on a very warm day, and it works great as well. It's even more important to have the fan driven venting when using the propane.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:15 PM   #4
Silver Member

I have a three-way dometic in a 2001 roadtrek. Can you give me a model number for the type fans you're using? Sounds like they're pretty efficient.Thank you I'd like to try this.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:37 PM   #5
Bronze Member

So the fans were already there. I just bypassed the thermocouple with a switch to be able to make them run continuously. Not actually sure if the fans came from Roadtrek or Dometic. It would certainly be worthwhile to install fans with a switch if poor venting is the issue.

The fans are Jamicon Model JF 0925B1SR-R .32 amp 12 volt

I'm not sure about the thermocouple and wouldn't know where to buy one.

Attached is a photo looking down into the open top vent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211119_162554212.jpg (132.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 12:26 AM   #6
Silver Member

Thanks Gary. I found a kit online that comes with the thermal couples but I want to make sure I'm getting the most efficient fans because I have the old AGM batteries in my 2001 roadtrek.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:11 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Cool! I wasn't aware there was a kit. That's great. I think (2) fans at .32 amps each will save far more battery life or propane by being able to get that ambient temperature down.