Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Tuner for DVD Player

I've been trying to find whether there is a simple, reasonably priced way I can convert the DVD player in the Chrysler Town and Country minivan to receive over-the-air television. So far, I've found nothing. Is this possible? Any suggestions for how?
Old 11-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #2
Platinum Member

maybe post the brand and model of the dvd player- is it an all-in-one?

or...I bought a samsung TV for my RV ( to replace the old one which needed a converter box for digital etc etc.) it is about 19" and was under $130 at costco....BONUS: it works natively on 12 volt power!

it works with my wineguard digital antenna on the roof- as a bonus it also has a usb jack- I can play movies or music from a thumb drive- the samsung has a built in media player.

so 3 128 GB thumb drives carrying about 300 movies/ tv shows ( rather than carry around dvd's)

if you don;t have a roof antenna, you can pick up a home type antenna for about $30 and just point it at the towers.

i use the tv towers app for my iphone- it;s free

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:15 AM   #3
Platinum Member

It's the standard roof mounted unit for Chrysler. The substitution you suggest may be the easiest...
Old 11-02-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Eureka...at http://cartech.about.com/od/Multimedia/a/Mobile-TV.htm :

In order to watch mobile TV on the road, the basic components that you’re going to need include a:

- display
- tuner
- antenna or satellite receiver

If you have an existing mobile video system in your vehicle, then you’re probably set as far as the display is concerned.

You’ll just want to check if your existing screen has multiple inputs. If it doesn’t, you’ll need some type of external splitter or input selector. A lot of video head units have multiple inputs, though, as do roof- and headrest-mounted screens.

The tuner is the component that receives an over the air (OTA) signal and converts it into something that your screen can display. In the United States, you’ll need an ATSC tuner that’s capable of receiving digital, high definition broadcasts.

Some tuners have built-in antennas, which is the easiest way to receive wireless TV on the road. However, an external antenna will typically be able to pull in weaker signals. If you’re in an area that isn’t close to any broadcast antennas, a good, omnidirectional, external antenna is a must.

However, there are a lot of places where you won’t be able to receive any OTA signals at all.

The other main option for wireless TV is a satellite receiver. These are now available in both dome and flat configurations that are suitable for use on RVs and passenger vehicles alike. If you want to watch mobile TV on long road trips that will take you well outside major metropolitan areas, a satellite receiver will do the trick.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:20 PM   #5
Site Team

Note that one option for the ATSC tuner that Rocketman mentions is one of those little tuner boxes that used to be available everywhere for allowing analog TVs to receive digital signals. They are still around and not expensive. Last time I saw, Walmart still carried them.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote