Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #1

Default Upgrades for Travato 59G?

I bought my 2015 flame red Travato 59G with sport package in August, and love it despite a few design flaws and personal preferences. I do have some questions about potential upgrades, and before I talk to the dealer on Monday I thought I'd reach out to other users for ideas. (I have not committed to anything, these are just ideas that may or may not be feasible.)

I have seen a few posts about adding solar panels. Does this require a new inverter for the solar energy? And where would that fit? I have kayak racks on top, which will probably interfere with roof-mounted panels, correct?

Is there an upgrade for the water pump? It works, but runs far too often and is very noisy. I have heard about water pump upgrades for Class A vehicles, but nut sure the same thing applies to the Travato.

Extra storage?! I've seen some posts about adding a rear cargo box, but with the sport package that may not work well. I don't need much, just enough space to hold the "stuff" needed to hook up the RV - water hose electric, etc - and maybe a few small additional items, and I am really looking to maximize storage inside the coach which will help on longer trips. Clamshell-type roof mounted storage box?

Can the new Thuma water heater I've seen mentioned here be retrofitted to a 2015 model?

I apologize if these topics have been covered already......I'm a newbie and wanted to get my questions out there. Looking forward to your answers, and thank you!
TravelGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I can't answer all your questions.

1) I don't think a roof top carrier will work as you will need a ladder (not the one on the back door) to use it so now you get to figure out where to carry that. I don't use my kayak racks for the same reason. I've put boats up there, but it ain't fun and you need a big ladder at all times.

2) So if you remove the racks, you will have more room for solar panels.

3) I've dedicated the lower left hand side area behind the sliding white doors for my electrical cords, adaptors, water hose and chemicals. I use the supplied crappy dump hose on the road and a real one at home, and that one stays home.

4) Look into getting an accumulator for the water pump if you feel it runs too much. It's not an issue for me but if it was I'd find room for this.

Welcome to the forum,
Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I've used the Stowaway2 box on the rear hitch. Works well. Check out my blog for a few postings on it and how I stored things on my G.

The pumps are noisy. It should only run while you are running water. If it's going beyond that, then it may be defective. I doubt there is room under the kitchen drawers for an accumulator tank (take out the lower drawer and you'll see where the pump is). Yes, you can put in a bigger pump, but the one you have should be adequate, and it is under warranty after all.

Solar panels are easy. You will need to remove or just move the kayak brackets. Using carriage bolts, they are easy to bolt to the cross-members. See FitRV.com for a video on how he mounted panels. You'll probably need a combiner box on the roof, a controller to mount inside and a bunch of wiring. It will involve drilling holes in the roof and routing wires. You can buy the Zamp kit that they sell to Winnebago, it's not really expensive. If you've never attempted such a project, you might just want to have your dealer install it.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:38 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Join Winnebago Travato Owners on Facebook. There is a lot of good info there.
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:27 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKatfish View Post
Join Winnebago Travato Owners on Facebook. There is a lot of good info there.
What JKatfish says....the owners are The Fit RV couple

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote