Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Weathertech experience

I installed one of the Weathertech side window deflector following the inclosed instructions to my Promaster van. It fell out and cracked. I called Weathertech and they were kind enough to inform me the instructions were incorrect, and since I didn't follow the right instructions, (explained over the phone), no warrantee. Its almost laughable
No more weather tech products for me.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
I installed one of the Weathertech side window deflector following the inclosed instructions to my Promaster van. It fell out and cracked. I called Weathertech and they were kind enough to inform me the instructions were incorrect, and since I didn't follow the right instructions, (explained over the phone), no warrantee. Its almost laughable
No more weather tech products for me.
yell

scream

complain all the way to the top

squeaky wheel gets the grease

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Weathertech,

Absolutely scream! Weathertech is very proud of its brand name and reputation. Ask to speak to the owner/president...it is a relatively small business so he is a real person and probably very concerned with his reputation. Don't be nasty or come across as angry but express concern over the fact that you followed the directions provided and they turned out to be incorrect.

Let us know the outcome.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Sometimes the image that a company projects through their marketing does not align perfectly with their actual behavior.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Apparently, they don't have a good reputation with customer service and the attitude of the person I talked too demonstrated this. I was very nice in our exchange and became aware soon that it was the job of the customer service person to deny any replacements. Its a shame as they are American made and owned which made it ok to pay the higher price vs foreign made version. It isn't worth the hassle for me to suffer their policies, I learned a lesson for only $70.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Their site proudly displays "American Manufacturing Done Right".
Their Deflectors had a "Made in Germany" sticker on it.
Go figure.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:37 AM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

That deflector is made out of polycarbonate; it is not supposed to break.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:29 AM   #8
Platinum Member

The instructions said to roll the window up and down 5 times to seat it. It fell out the first time and a big chunk broke off the lip. The customer service said I should have installed it and to waited a couple of days before opening the window.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
The instructions said to roll the window up and down 5 times to seat it. It fell out the first time and a big chunk broke off the lip. The customer service said I should have installed it and to waited a couple of days before opening the window.
If you paid for it by credit card then file a dispute with your credit card company. You followed directions but the merchandise was faulty. You will win the dispute with your credit card company. You have a certain number of days to file a dispute so you should call them as soon as you can.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperml View Post
If you paid for it by credit card then file a dispute with your credit card company. You followed directions but the merchandise was faulty. You will win the dispute with your credit card company. You have a certain number of days to file a dispute so you should call them as soon as you can.
I would call them again and see if they will make things right. If they do not then absolutely dispute the charges.

Disputing charges should be your last resort for product resolution. It costs the vendor quite a bit of money when you do so. A refund on the vendors part costs much less for them.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
I would call them again and see if they will make things right. If they do not then absolutely dispute the charges.

Disputing charges should be your last resort for product resolution. It costs the vendor quite a bit of money when you do so. A refund on the vendors part costs much less for them.
I think he has contacted them enough times already.
I would not waste any more time. If you wait to long to file a dispute with the credit card then you lose. Visa and Mastercard have time limits that you can file a dispute. If he files a dispute and works it out with the merchant later then he can always call his credit card and stop the dispute later.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
I would not waste any more time. If you wait to long to file a dispute with the credit card then you lose. Visa and Mastercard have time limits that you can file a dispute. If he files a dispute and works it out with the merchant later then he can always call his credit card and stop the dispute later.
I agree. When dealing with a company with this kind of attitude toward customer relations, saber-rattling is the only approach that is likely to get you anywhere.

Also, check to see if your credit card has a "customer protection" perq. Sometimes they offer additional protection and help for this kind of thing.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I live in a semi-remote area so I shop online the majority of the time. I've gotten pretty good at it and have purchased merchandise form all over and have had great customer service over the years. Seldom a problem. Most American companies I've purchaced from will stand by their product without exception.
I always research the vender before purchasing except this company, I made an exception and "assumed" since it was an American company, made in USA etc...
And we all know what "assumed" means.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:

X2--I is not his responsibility to coerce them into a more reasonable response.

As others have mentioned, a dispute with a credit card company can be a PITA for a company, unless they just decide to credit as a matter of policy, which is getting more common due to the cost of fighting them.

Either way, the company has to at least do something rather than just blow off customers.

We seem to see this kind of stuff a lot as companies grow. They will be great companies when run by the founders and dedicated early staff, but then they get bigger, higher "professional" managers for things like customer service (or outsource it) and things go down the tubes. Some wise up a straighten out, others don't and eventually stagnate due to bad reputations. In these times with all the online reviews and such, reputation deterioration can happen much faster than it has in the past.

It is disappointing, to be sure, as Weathertech has based their business on buy American, highest quality, great service, etc to justify the relatively high pricing. I would certainly bet that most of their employees in the US wouldn't want their jobs put at risk because of heavy handed customer service.

It is kind of mind boggling to imagine that they would actually tell a customer it is the customers fault because the followed the enclosed, incorrect, instructions, because somehow they should have known there were other correct instructions somewhere. It sounds like the excuses you get from a 6 year old.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I don't blame the person on the other end of the phone, they are instructed to respond by policy, or loose their job. I have never had to argue with any venders in the past nor that I would as the person you talk to is usually at the bottom of the org chart, low pay, just trying to make a living.
I'ts just sad that this "bottom line first" mentality exists in a supposedly all American Company touting "Red white and Blue".
Old 04-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Most probably the Customer Service Rep is one of the highest turnover positions in firms, and probably the lowest paid for the harassment the often take.