Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2021, 09:43 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default What X-Gauges for scan gauge II ?

new scan gauge owner-

( I've been using a phone app -which ties up my phone- and decided to just get a dedicated device)

I want to access tranny temp for sure on my 2005 Chev - VPW

what are other popular or useful xgauges some of you may use?

Thanks, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I mostly use:
RPM - RPM of the engine
TFT - Transmission fluid temperature
FWT - Water/Coolant temperature
AVC - Average fuel economy (CURRENT trip)

Sometimes I use:
VLT - Battery Voltage
MPH - Miles Per Hour (when I cross the border)

The first Transmission Fluid Temperature X-Gauge here: https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-co...-specific-vpw/ should work for you.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

swing and a miss!

I set up the scanguage xgauges for the available data and it was good.

But I have used OBDFusion app from OCTech on my iphone forever and it offers more options/sensor monitors-

I typically will have 6 gauges on each of 2 pages, the 3rd page is accelerometer.

what I really use: tranny temp, rpm, oil temp, voltage ( factory gauge reads low always)

It allows the user to add PIDs, ( which was required for the tranny temp)

I've going to use my old iPhone 4S ( from back of drawer) and dedicate it to the task of monitoring the sensors

I'll send the ScanGauge back to amazon

thanks, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:56 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I can't say for the 2006 chassis, but IIRC our 2007 had 3 different codes to try for the trans temp and as long as they are I had to try a couple of times on them because of probable typos, but it once I got it it has worked fine since. If they say the codes are the same for 06 and 07 I think I wrote down in the instruction booklet which one worked.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have the TFT Transmission Fluid Temperature programmed on my Scan Gauge II, I used the VPW
Codes, one of the mistakes people make when they program the SC II is that they do not SAVE the
Codes they enter.

Coolant temp, trans fluid temp, current mph, ave mpg programmed into SG II on my 2007 RT210 V.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAA357 View Post
I have the TFT Transmission Fluid Temperature programmed on my Scan Gauge II, I used the VPW
Codes, one of the mistakes people make when they program the SC II is that they do not SAVE the
Codes they enter.

Coolant temp, trans fluid temp, current mph, ave mpg programmed into SG II on my 2007 RT210 V.

That is very easy to miss, I have also done it. Good point.

Trans temp, rpm most of the time. The rest depend on my curiosity of the day, mostly. Load, mpg, MAP, TPS, volts, coolant temp, spark advance, knock retard, air fuel mixture, and others have all been used. No need to tie in because they are so easy to change even when driving.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:17 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Scan Gauge II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
new scan gauge owner-

( I've been using a phone app -which ties up my phone- and decided to just get a dedicated device)

I want to access tranny temp for sure on my 2005 Chev - VPW

what are other popular or useful xgauges some of you may use?

Thanks, Mike
Scan Gauge II new in the box for sale. $60 that can display tranny temp.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:49 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
\

That is really a low price if it is really an unused non counterfeit unit.

Trans temp is the big one to add for the 4 speed trans in Chevies. There are two different codes you may have to try to get it to work, though, as they were transitioning between communication systems in your and ours time frame. I had to try them both and the second on works. I you can't find them on the Scangauge website under Xgauge codes area I probably have them noted somewhere and I could take a look for them. You do have two separate entries needed for each Xgauge set IIRC and one of them was right but there were the two options for the other.

The Scan gauge is a bit of an old type tech but still very useful. It has only 4 displayable readings at a time. I usually use trans temp, water temp, lod, and instantaneous MPG, but it is easy to change on the fly. Very nice to have full time display for those items.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:56 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
\

That is really a low price if it is really an unused non counterfeit unit.

The Scan gauge is a bit of an old type tech but still very useful. It has only 4 displayable readings at a time. I usually use trans temp, water temp, lod, and instantaneous MPG, but it is easy to change on the fly. Very nice to have full time display for those items.
I bought it from ScanGauge, IIRC for around $150, for a 210PC but just sold the coach prior to installing it. It's in the original packing and box. I priced it attractively at $60 to encourage a prospective buyer but apparently in this day and age, paranoia prevails

FWIW, I've been a subscriber to this forum for eight years.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:14 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
I bought it from ScanGauge, IIRC for around $150, for a 210PC but just sold the coach prior to installing it. It's in the original packing and box. I priced it attractively at $60 to encourage a prospective buyer but apparently in this day and age, paranoia prevails

FWIW, I've been a subscriber to this forum for eight years.

I certainly was not saying you were trying to sell a counterfeit unit. If it sounded like that to you it is unfortunate as it was not intended to sound that way and I know you have been here a long time and can be trusted.

From the way is was stated in your post it wasn't even clear to me if it was that you knew where to buy one for $60 or if you were selling on for $60 when I just went back and looked at your original statement and thought it was most likely you knew a place that was selling them for that as you were answering my post about the Scangauge being a rather outdated design and thought it would be a good value at the lower price.

Counterfeit products are very common these days in almost anything that is relatively expensive from the real supplier. I regularly see products on ebay that are listed as new and at a fraction of what their cost would be from OEM so it is a real problem and can be very hard to determine if they are final closeouts or counterfeit sometimes. There was a guy on my area Craigslist a couple of years ago who was selling new in the box Bosch TechII automotive scanner/troubleshooter units. From Bosch they are over $3000 and he was selling them for $1200. I could tell from his pix that they were Chinese counterfeits as I had seen several of them that people I knew had bought from a Chinese source for about $800 and moldings and lettering are slightly different than a real Bosch unit. A Scangauge at $60 from an unkown source like ebay or Craigslist, if that had been what you referred to, would almost certainly be a legit closeout of a discontinued model or a fake, it think.

From the more detail given, or course it is not a new counterfeit being sold and the $60 is a very good price to offer it for sale.

It has been said that a little paranoia is good thing if it happens to be true, but not so good when is not true
Old 04-13-2023, 04:05 PM   #11

Quote:
We would be interested in your scan gauge. Does anyone know if it would work on a 2000 Dodge Roadtek 190 V? Specifically the transmission tempature.
Steve & Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 08:05 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Scangauge II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Berta View Post
We would be interested in your scan gauge. Does anyone know if it would work on a 2000 Dodge Roadtek 190 V? Specifically the transmission tempature.
Scangauge has a c/s number 888-433-5664 (8am - 4PM Mountain std time). Provide them with your engine year and model.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:14 PM   #13
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=booster;131182]That is very easy to miss, I have also done it. Good point. Trans temp, rpm most of the time. ...

Good day Booster ... I also have a Scanguage 2 plugged into our 2011 RT 190 Ranger. Upon initial connect/startup several years ago, it began to (and still does) display various values, but not the trans temp. Until today, I
had not tried to program the trans temp. This morning I unsuccessfully tried entering the 4 GM related codes. Do you have any words of advice?
Sensfan in Ottawa
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:46 PM   #14
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Sensfan;146334]
Quote:
That is very easy to miss, I have also done it. Good point. Trans temp, rpm most of the time. ...

Good day Booster ... I also have a Scanguage 2 plugged into our 2011 RT 190 Ranger. Upon initial connect/startup several years ago, it began to (and still does) display various values, but not the trans temp. Until today, I
had not tried to program the trans temp. This morning I unsuccessfully tried entering the 4 GM related codes. Do you have any words of advice?
Sensfan in Ottawa
You need to find someone who has a similar model van with the PID codes you want. I attempted to enter the incorrect PID code for the TFT. No luck. I found the correct PID from someone with a 2019 van. Entered and it seems to be working. I also entered PID for engine oil temp. It has taken awhile to find the correct PID. Just ask around, I am sure they exist somewhere?
Old 04-15-2023, 10:05 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
... It has taken awhile to find the correct PID.
Looks like i had the correct codes from the get go. After four failed efforts, I successfully re-entered the first set. Analogue fingers in a 5G world ... lol
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 10:32 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default scangauge II

Quote:
Were you able to confirm scangauge compatibility with your engine?
Old 05-17-2023, 06:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Were you able to confirm scangauge compatibility with your engine?
Crusing
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Sadly none of their scangauges measures transmission tempature for our 2000 Dodge. I am still tempeted to get your Scanguage. A trans cooler and gauge are a bigger priority at this point.
Thank you Steve
Old 05-17-2023, 07:24 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Crusing
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Sadly none of their scangauges measures transmission tempature for our 2000 Dodge. I am still tempeted to get your Scanguage. A trans cooler and gauge are a bigger priority at this point.
Thank you Steve

The Scangauge I have in my 96 Buick Roadmaster wagon doesn't cover trans temp either, but at least for my engine, I was able to put a temp sensor into the the pressure test port of the trans to make putting in a temp gauge easy. I am a big supporter of trans temp gauges in class Bs also, as they need it.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:29 AM   #19

Quote:
The Scangauge I have in my 96 Buick Roadmaster wagon doesn't cover trans temp either, but at least for my engine, I was able to put a temp sensor into the the pressure test port of the trans to make putting in a temp gauge easy. I am a big supporter of trans temp gauges in class Bs also, as they need it.
Thanks for that info.
Old 05-28-2023, 08:37 AM   #20

Crusing7388
Do you still have the scan gauge available? I tried to figure out how to PM you here, but could not. Am I missing something obvious?
Steve