Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Which Bilstein shocks for 9,500lb 200 Versatile

I've read so much about suspension mods, sway bars, and shocks, I can't find what I need anymore when I need it. My 98C200V has no arch in the springs, they are basically horizontal, sitting on the overloads. Ka-Bang! Ka-Bang!
30 mph over cracks in the road are the worst. Hwy speeds rides fine. Eventually I'll likely put new springs in, but I'd like to add Bilstein shocks all around. Do I need a special part # for all that weight in the rear, or just whatever comes up for a '97 Chevy Express 3500?
TIA!
KaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Not an exact answer to your question but my input after putting 100k miles on a 2000 200.

This beast is heavy and will sit on the overloads. Installing stiffer springs in the rear may be desirable but I got along just fine including a lot of remote boondocking. If you want more ride height I would suggest looking into airbags. There have been a couple of expensive horror stories lately on custom springs. Otherwise perhaps replacing them with factory originals if still available.

Just before selling it I installed a set of KYB Monomax shocks. I did a 3k mile trip and really liked the control and ride provided by them. Reading reviews on them, I was a bit skeptical as some had complained of a harsh ride. Those reviews seemed to come from installing them on pickups with little or no extra load on them. The Roadtrek always has extra load.

I was quite impressed by them, especially for about half the cost of Bilsteins.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
Gold Member

So is there a special part number, or did you just use the stock 1 ton shocks?
Old 01-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Your model would be a cutaway chassis vs van chassis but I don't think that matters for Bilstein shocks. I used Bilstein part # 24-024808 for the front shocks and 24-221948 for the rear shocks on my 1997 van.

If the Ka-Bang you feel/hear is from the front then new springs are probably needed. Here are two photos, before & after new front springs:

First photo shows that my van front was hitting the bump stop and it's hard rubber on our older series van. (log in to see photos)

Second photo shows greatly increased clearance with new springs installed.

The Moog 81012 coil spring might be OK for your van. I used the 1" longer 81008 but wonder if it might be too much for your van with the shorter wheelbase cutaway chassis. Here's some info on fronts springs: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ings-4136.html - it's a tough choice between increased height and stiff (wire diameter) vs a bit softer. If you raise the front then rear air bags are a good option as you can adjust the pressure to level the van.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:29 PM   #5
Gold Member

It is definitely the rear. I am riding around on those stiff overload springs.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

There are bump stops on the rear also. Same hard rubber. A suspension related "bang" seems to me to be a bottoming out problem. You could look for marks where the rubber bump stop meets metal.

Shocks might help but it's not their role in the suspension as far as I know. Replacing the shocks is probably a great thing to do anyway.

Air Lift sells an air bag with an internal jounce bumper. https://www.airliftcompany.com/

I put them on my van. They note that they're only for box frame passenger vans though. If you decide to consider adding air bags then probably best to phone the company to find out how to determine if the air bags would work on yours.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:56 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainK View Post
So is there a special part number, or did you just use the stock 1 ton shocks?
Rear 565034, 54.79 at Amazon.

Front 565060,, 57.39 at the big A.

These are gas charged shocks. I did not raise the frame when installing the rears, used the axle for lifting. Consequently, I had to compress the shocks to install them. I used an inch wide strap to compress them. Fronts I wound up using a floor jack to compress the shock enough to bolt in.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:37 PM   #8

Try Amazon and put your vehicle info in the search bar and search.for heavy duty Bilsteins. It will ask for more info, such as wheel base, etc. That.info should be on the drivers door. I would also suggest to add over load springs or Airlift air bags with air compressor and remote air control. I have that system on.my 05 Chevy Roadtrek 210 Popular..That gives you the option to control your ride regardless the weight. I have the dual control system which provides separate control for left and right air bag.
Dougm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:40 PM   #9
Gold Member

Made an appointment with an axle/spring shop to replace or maybe re-arch my overload springs....while I waited I went ahead and replaced the shocks. Used Napa 'Reflex'. Just took a test ride and the banging around is at least 50% better. I am satisfied with the ride I think (the old shocks were toast), and now I want to work on quieting the cabinet doors and anything that rattles. I think I just saved myself some expensive spring work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image0.jpeg (138.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Platinum Member

FYI, in case this is useful to anyone, I've got a thread on another forum describing my in-progress suspension upgrades here. Shocks, struts, springs.

Different base vehicle, however. I'm looking at internet pics of a 200 Versatile wondering how it got to be so heavy.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote