Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Wow! A 2015 and you're already planning your second remodel?!!

I agree that about 26-27" is a minimum for most people, while 28-30" feels fairly roomy even for larger folk. I am comfortable in the 24" bunks in our Scamp trailer but would not be at 18”. My wife on the other hand, though petite, likes her space and sometimes takes the 44" wide "double" dinette bed in the Scamp all to herself.

It's a very personal thing.

I agree with Sensfan that the "half twin" in the Roadtrek P190 is a great compromise. It has more-than-queen width at the head end where it matters and feels like you're sharing the same bed. The 26" foot ends are plenty for your legs, leaving room to enter and exit without disturbing your partner. My wife is happy, so I am happy!
Attachment 8831

Davydd, yours seems to have the same characteristic: connected at the head end to combine the intimacy of a shared bed with the convenience of twins. I am curious, though... It looks like it's made of several smaller cushions, and I was wondering if it folds into some other configuration?

That's the bigger decision in my mind. A 100% dedicated bed allows for the most comfortable mattress choices, but a convertible bed maximizes the use of a small space.
I have a 2010 210P and recognize the beds. We've found them to be hard, no pun intended, to sleep on for extended periods of time. What, if anything, are you using to soften the beds, ie topper?
stevanpierce@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:39 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK View Post
My 2015 GWV came with twin beds 18in wide, way too narrow for good quality sleep for me. When I rebuilt the interior I made the twins 27-1/2in wide. This works better but still feels a bit tight, so we tend to push them together for sleeping which is really roomy, and warmer in cold weather.

My question is: for those of you with twin beds, how wide are they and how comfortable are you given that width? I may redo the beds for reasons other than width and it would be a good time to change width if I decide to.

Thanks all
I remade mine to 36”...still not as wide as my Queen bed at home, but works for me!!
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:56 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanpierce@gmail.com View Post
I have a 2010 210P and recognize the beds. We've found them to be hard, no pun intended, to sleep on for extended periods of time. What, if anything, are you using to soften the beds, ie topper?
Wrong person to ask. We’re still short timers, and we’re used to firmer mattresses. Seems okay to us for up to a week at a time. Our sleeping bags are kind of puffy.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:05 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Wrong person to ask. We’re still short timers, and we’re used to firmer mattresses. Seems okay to us for up to a week at a time. Our sleeping bags are kind of puffy.
Have a 5” memory foam topper. Cut to fit on bench/bed cushions...
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:53 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanpierce@gmail.com View Post
We have 27.5"w twins in a 97 PW. We decided to have a mattress factory make some up and they are MUCH more comfortable than the original cushions. We went with latex foam over regular foam and a 1.5" cotton topper. There are 2 other options worth considering:

1. The mattress company could have made mattresses with independent coil springs. That would have made the mattresses 8" tall vs our 6". I would have gone with those but was unsure since our feet go under cabinets and the extra 2" might have made it uncomfortable. You might not have the same restriction.

2. Some people are using the Froli system under their mattresses. The Traveler is under 2" and you could have a 4" mattress on top for a total of 6". That might have been an interesting option for us. Have the factory make up a 4" mattress with 2" regular/2" latex foam and put it on top of the Froli system.

But not inexpensive, if that's a factor. The mattresses we had made were $300+@. As I said, MUCH more comfortable than the originals, though.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote