Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Width of Twin Beds

My 2015 GWV came with twin beds 18in wide, way too narrow for good quality sleep for me. When I rebuilt the interior I made the twins 27-1/2in wide. This works better but still feels a bit tight, so we tend to push them together for sleeping which is really roomy, and warmer in cold weather.

My question is: for those of you with twin beds, how wide are they and how comfortable are you given that width? I may redo the beds for reasons other than width and it would be a good time to change width if I decide to.

Thanks all
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK View Post
My 2015 GWV came with twin beds 18in wide, way too narrow for good quality sleep for me. When I rebuilt the interior I made the twins 27-1/2in wide. This works better but still feels a bit tight, so we tend to push them together for sleeping which is really roomy, and warmer in cold weather.

My question is: for those of you with twin beds, how wide are they and how comfortable are you given that width? I may redo the beds for reasons other than width and it would be a good time to change width if I decide to.

Thanks all
Good day Jonk,
We have a 2012 Roadtrek 190/Ranger and use the twin setup, which is actually a combination of a double/twin setup. The fully reclined power rear bench seat serves as the "double" section", supporting our head to mid-hips; our lower portions lay on the 26 inch wide "twin section". I am 5'10" and weight 180; we consider this setup as comfortable as our home bed.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I designed our twin beds at 28-1/2" wide mattress with a filler at the head of the bed where we try to keep our cat to stay but generally she insist on settling at my feet. The 28-1/2" is pretty good. I can still sleep on my side curled up and the cat doesn't disturb me in any position. Army cots and pads for camping are at most about 26" wide. That would be the minimum in my estimation. 30" is probably ideal. Half of a full bed is 27" and a queen is 30" for reference.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Wow! A 2015 and you're already planning your second remodel?!!

I agree that about 26-27" is a minimum for most people, while 28-30" feels fairly roomy even for larger folk. I am comfortable in the 24" bunks in our Scamp trailer but would not be at 18”. My wife on the other hand, though petite, likes her space and sometimes takes the 44" wide "double" dinette bed in the Scamp all to herself.

It's a very personal thing.

I agree with Sensfan that the "half twin" in the Roadtrek P190 is a great compromise. It has more-than-queen width at the head end where it matters and feels like you're sharing the same bed. The 26" foot ends are plenty for your legs, leaving room to enter and exit without disturbing your partner. My wife is happy, so I am happy!
IMG_0117.jpg

Davydd, yours seems to have the same characteristic: connected at the head end to combine the intimacy of a shared bed with the convenience of twins. I am curious, though... It looks like it's made of several smaller cushions, and I was wondering if it folds into some other configuration?

That's the bigger decision in my mind. A 100% dedicated bed allows for the most comfortable mattress choices, but a convertible bed maximizes the use of a small space.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
Platinum Member

In my Winnebago Trend 23D Twin bed, the beds are 32" wide with a Flex Bed System under the mattress. The flex bed system acts like an extra mattress and the heads raise up for several heights.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Based on our bed I believe that a well-designed rock & roll sofa bed can be as comfortable as a permanent bed. Our sofa bed mattresses were designed by the local upholstery shop, each section has multiple foam layers with variable densities. I could add Froli springs to make it even better but we found our bed comfortable.

I agree that a convertible sofa bed with removable mattress sections could be least comfortable, there are more design limits on sections weights, thicknesses and gaps between sections which could make the bed uncomfortable.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Davydd, yours seems to have the same characteristic: connected at the head end to combine the intimacy of a shared bed with the convenience of twins. I am curious, though... It looks like it's made of several smaller cushions, and I was wondering if it folds into some other configuration?
The bed sections are because it is an electrically operated articulating bed with separate foot, back and pillow positions so it can act as a lazy boy lounger.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The bed sections are because it is an electrically operated articulating bed with separate foot, back and pillow positions so it can act as a lazy boy lounger.
Very cool!

Although I have to say it bears a striking resemblance to...well... you’re not a retired dentist, are you?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:08 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Default If I was able to get a look at two vans on this Class B forum ...

Quote:
Very cool!

Although I have to say it bears a striking resemblance to...well... you’re not a retired dentist, are you?
Jon in AZ ... lol
If I was able to get a look at just two of the vans from all the owners on this forum, there is no doubt which ones they would be ... the vans of Davydd and Booster.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:56 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I have the ‘15 RT210, and our twins are 30” - much more comfortable than the 190 we had with 27”
Old 03-11-2020, 02:24 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Very cool!

Retired architect and interior designer.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:25 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Our old 97 PW has 27+ width beds convertible with center boards to a sort-of queen size bed. We eventually decided life was easier with 2 "twins" and leave them made up with quilts over them for daytime sitting. I'd rather have the 30" that Ron's talking about but, you know, I'm actually ok with 27+. We recently had a mattress factory make some custom mattresses to replace the cushions that were OEM. MUCH more comfortable. Another interesting option might have been to have thin (3-4") mattresses with Froli support. Maybe in my next life.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:28 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Default PS Davydd

I can't remember but I believe that you stated you sleep in bags? So you're not making up the beds, per se. Is that right?
Old 03-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I can't remember but I believe that you stated you sleep in bags? So you're not making up the beds, per se. Is that right?
Yes, we have always used plain rectangular sleeping bags most under $40. we just roll them up and put them away or they can be used as a bolster while watching TV prior to my articulating beds. A lot of people swear by those RV sleeping bags (I forget the name) with two thicknesses that you can flip over depending on the weather that are extremely expensive. You can buy a half dozen sleeping bags for what those cost and carry ones depending on the season and weather you encounter. I've had removable fleece lined sleeping bags in the past. Those are hard to find. I sometimes just use a fleece liner bag you can buy independently. In the summer months I might use that on top of a sleeping bag being used as a pad. The fleece liners are easily washed.

We mostly use a sleeping bag rated down to 20 deg. F. That has served us well all the way down to -15F while keeping the van at the mid 50's for sleeping. The sleeping bag and fleece is way more cozier up against the van windows than loose sheet and blanket, IMO. I know we are glamping but sleeping bags give you a sense of tent camping instead of a cabin.

Our next van will not be articulating beds (too thick a structure) and will be train pullman style with total privacy with insulated outer van walls with only a small ventilated window to see out. This will be a radical departure for us. ARV could give us custom fitted sheets for the mattresses. Since we could make beds up and leave them, I don't know yet what we will decide. If you have seen the ARV videos you know we will be experimenting with bunk beds.

We won't have a shared TV either with that setup. We seldom watch TV anyway on the road so we will go with individual overhead mounted iPad Pro tablets and Apple TV. After all, Apple stock has been funding our vans as I have been a heavy investor in Apple since 1988 when I contracted with Apple to run the Macintosh Graphic Arts & CAD forum on Applelink Personal Edition network which would become America Online. I was a pioneer in that but haven't kept up.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:59 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Retired architect and interior designer.
I was joking, of course, but thanks for setting the record straight. It shows in the design of your camper.

I wish Roadtrek had consulted you on their interior finish choices. They seem oddly mismatched to my untrained eye, especially the weird tan/greenish carpet in the cockpit and rear platform.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #16
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
I have the ‘15 RT210, and our twins are 30” - much more comfortable than the 190 we had with 27”
Roadtrek 190 twin bed folks can easily have most any size bed they want. Mine is 33 inches wide with the nightstand remaining. 30 inches wide with 2 folks and the nightstand, or remove for 33 inch each or more.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:53 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Default Thanks

You folks are the best, you gave me exactly the kind of information I wanted. Now on to the design stage to see if I can incorporate an Ikea articulating bed frame into the works. The nice thing about what I've done with the van, ignoring the ridiculous amount of time I invested, is that potentially wasted plywood will be worth less than $200, I can easily live with that.
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I've been researching the Ikea beds. The Leirsund slatted bed in the Queen size could be divided and get two approximately 30" twin beds. I would have to modify it to fit which would be easily enough to do but I am leery about the articulating bed mechanism and whether it is robust enough and how they operate (manually). The back back adjustment is one piece and not like my separate back and pillow adjustment I have now that really makes a difference. I can accomplish pretty much the same Ikea provides with just a bolster or two pillows. the foot is just a one piece slant instead of a two section adjustment that allows raising and bending at the knee. A straight slant won't be satisfactory enough for me. I do have the same slats in my home bed with various bow tensions and adjustments and they are great. So I will probably just drop in the fixed Ikea Lonset slatted bed which is better than a solid plywood frame or cheaper flat slats or the Froli system. However, I think they have cheapened the slat system. I don't detect the critical double slats and tension adjusters anymore.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:07 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Interesting, Davydd. From looking at it, it appears as though one could modify the Lonset in terms of both length and width.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Interesting, Davydd. From looking at it, it appears as though one could modify the Lonset in terms of both length and width.
Very easy since the slats are close together you have the ability to shorten a bed closer to what you want in 1-3/4" increments and since the slats fit into plastic holders all you have to do is cut an end off to shorten the width. The frame is wood so that would be easier to modify than steel. Widening and lengthening the bed would of course be more difficult.