Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Window removal from Roadtrek

We have a 1997 RT190 popular which we just bought from the original owner. She took immaculate care of the inside but the outside not so much. She spent a lot of time on the coast and now we have some rust issues that I need to address under the window frames and the same on the window/fridge vent. I can easily remove the windows to get to the rust under the frame but how do you remove the upper fridge vent that is part of the window I can only think you have to remove the fridge.
Is there an easier way?
CanuckRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Can you post a picture of the window/fridge vent? I think that is the same area that I have a bit of rust on my RT, and I was wondering how to remove it to take care of it.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:07 AM   #3
Bronze Member

You are 100% correct that with your model, you will have to remove the refrigerator.
Swishewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
Gold Member

RT-NY I'll post a picture later still dark now and I'm off to work.
I did some sanding yesterday and I think I can take care of it without removing the window. Just some rust converter. I would hate to create a bigger mess trying to remove the window. I'll also be posting on our blog. http://galavan.blogspot.com/
CanuckRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #5
Gold Member

Here is the promised picture after I sanded yesterday, I'm going to do a bit more sanding then add some body filler and paint.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #6

If you have any rusty metal treat it with POR 15 and then paint it with regular auto paint. POR 15 will neutralize any rust for a more permanent repair. Auto restorers have used this for years with success.
jimtwilliams1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

That rust looks like it crept out for under the window frame and seal so would need to get in as far as it goes up under to stand much chance of repair holding up. If any edge of rust is not sealed 100% water will creep under whatever you put on, including POR15 which only deals on the outsides of the layer of corrosion.

There are always discussions about whether body filler should go on bare metal or on top of the primer, and I am in the group that says on the primer which would normally be two part epoxy primer which is waterproof. Normal filler is not water proof at all and moisture will go right under it and spread rust, lifting off the filler. If you have corrosion that is deep enough to need filler the odds of the rust not being too deep to totally sand out are pretty slim.

In a case like this I would use only a fiberglass type filler that is totally water proof, like the short strand Kittyhair or other similar brands. It is much better in nearly all ways compared to regular fillers. It does sand a bit harder, though.

My guess would be, without seeing the rust in person, that any repair without removing the window is going to only last a couple of years. Those are very tough areas to get to hold up well with spot repairs even with the window removed, and non commercial products instead of catalyst type epoxy primers and such.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Many thanks CanuckRV for posting the pic, and for the pics on your blog. The results look very good. I have rust in the same area of my RT though more localized and shallow I think, so it sounds like I will be able to take care of it without removing the window. Did you have to work the sander up underneath the plastic window frame to get all the rust removed?
Old 07-15-2021, 07:33 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swishewk View Post
You are 100% correct that with your model, you will have to remove the refrigerator.
Swishewk - Why is that? Is that metal vent in the window frame attached to the refrigerator?
Old 07-16-2021, 12:06 AM   #10

I would agree that the windows and any trim around the fridge vents should be removed to properly access the rust damage. I would also look closely at the area around the windshield and remove it if any signs of rust are apparent in the metal supporting the glass. I recently experienced a rust issue on a 2007 Roadtrek that involved removal of several windows to find and fix rusted sheet metal beneath the glass.
jimtwilliams1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:39 AM   #11

Love your blog, CanuckRV!
We also have a 1997 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Popular!

When we bought ours, we thought it was in darn near perfect condition. The previous owner(s) had taken very good care of it, kept it well maintained (with records), etc etc. As soon as I started with "minor" fixes, like the very same rust under the fridge vent window, the more I realized that if we intended on being the last owners of this RV and keep it for the long haul, then EVERYTHING (and I do mean everything) had to be stripped down and rebuilt. I started this process last summer. I'm hoping to finish by Oct 1st.

We wish you the very best of luck with yours. These are wonderful vehicles that deserve to be preserved, updated, and customized to YOUR taste!

Cheers!

PS: Here is what our fridge vent window looked like removed:

BSB100022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSB100022 View Post
Love your blog, CanuckRV!
We also have a 1997 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Popular!

When we bought ours, we thought it was in darn near perfect condition. The previous owner(s) had taken very good care of it, kept it well maintained (with records), etc etc. As soon as I started with "minor" fixes, like the very same rust under the fridge vent window, the more I realized that if we intended on being the last owners of this RV and keep it for the long haul, then EVERYTHING (and I do mean everything) had to be stripped down and rebuilt. I started this process last summer. I'm hoping to finish by Oct 1st.

We wish you the very best of luck with yours. These are wonderful vehicles that deserve to be preserved, updated, and customized to YOUR taste!

Cheers!

Hi BSB100022, I would like to know if you have anything else to remove to get that fridge/grill window out? It seems like the window is larger than the fridge, thanks for any advice, I’m trying to remove that window to fix some rust underneath
Thanks for your help
Jim
lahjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:01 AM   #13

By the time I made the decision to remove the kitchen window / grill, I had already gutted the entirety of the Roadtrek’s interior – including the fridge, kitchen sink / counter, all the woodwork & cabinetry, the walls, the vinyl ceiling, the plumbing, the electrical system, the nasty fiberglass insulation… EVERYTHING was ripped out, right down to bare metal. So, unfortunately I’m not sure how one would remove the kitchen window without getting the galley, counter, sink and cabinetry out of the way first. I’m assuming it is possible to remove the window without doing all that, but I honestly don’t know that would work. I wish I could be more helpful on this issue, but I went nuts and tore everything out before removing the window.
BSB100022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #14

Thanks a lot for your reply! Appreciate it my friend
Jim
lahjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:18 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wish I could be more helpful on this issue, but I went nuts and tore everything out before removing the window.
I think what they want to know: Does the window remove to the outside? What is holding the window in, rubber gasket, screws, adhesive?

It appears the window removes to the outside. Assuming you have access what do you have to do to remove it?
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:50 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I think what they want to know: Does the window remove to the outside? What is holding the window in, rubber gasket, screws, adhesive?

It appears the window removes to the outside. Assuming you have access what do you have to do to remove it?
Yes, this is what I would like to know. Also, BSB100022 - your message above said that you posted some pictures of what the " fridge vent window looked like removed", but I can't see any pictures. Can you post them again?

Quote:
Old 02-07-2022, 02:26 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Based on the comment by Swishewk, above, that the refrigerator must be removed to get the window out, I wonder if that vent that forms the lower half of the window is attached to the fridge? But, if so, I do not understand the comment by CanuckRV that he can easily get the window out to get to the rust under the frame. Any clarification or pictures would be appreciated!
Old 02-08-2022, 08:03 AM   #18
Gold Member

Yes, the vent in the window is for the fridge to get to the screws for the window you will need to take the fridge and sink out. That was way more work than I was interested in doing.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:56 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRV View Post
Yes, the vent in the window is for the fridge to get to the screws for the window you will need to take the fridge and sink out. That was way more work than I was interested in doing.
So is the vent actually attached to the fridge? Or is it just a matter of access to the screws that have to be removed to get the window out?
Old 02-08-2022, 12:53 PM   #20
Gold Member

Access to the screws