Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Windshield Curtains

Decided to do away with the whole set-up for the van. After doing some research, I ordered new "I" beam track to replace the old "channel" type track along with all the hardware to hang new curtains. The old channel track used the sew-in plastic carriers that made it real difficult to either open or close the curtains, a real pain. At one time I even coated the inside of the channel with silicone spray in order to help, but to no avail. The new track is bendable with roller carriers that fit on both sides of the "I" beam and make it a one handed operation, I tested this inside the house with a blanket hanging on the carriers. Saying that, it has to work inside the van with a lighter curtain doesn't it? I hope to start on this the next day or so.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Windshield Curtains

Enjoy the project.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I used I-beam type track in my van. If you're looking for ideas here's the link: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...hp?f=12&t=1926

If I were to do it again I'd mount the track even closer to ceiling by flattening the I-beam mounts. The curtains store behind the seat on the drivers side and get tied to the side door curtain on the passenger side using one of those small bungy cords with a built-on ball.

Good luck!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We probably have the same track as you used to in our 07 Roadtrek. When we got it, we had terrible trouble moving the curtains, as the sliders would hang up on the pop rivets that hold the track in place. You had to pull each slider individually over many of the rivets, while leaning over the seats, bags, etc. It took a long time to deploy or undeploy the curtains. I took off the curtains and rounded/angled the edges of the sliders with a file, and also used the edge of a file to lower and smooth off the rivets in the track. We can now just pull the curtain from one end and it feeds out smoothly to it's full extension. Now it takes only a few seconds to get moved into place.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It was Markos curtain upgrade that started my project, thanks Marko for helping me spend money! I wanted something that didn't hang down as far as his did because of my head interference while driving. The system I now have hangs down less than 1" from the ceiling, I can live with that as my old track was a proud 1/2". I am going to add a wand to my leading edge of the curtain to keep away from all that bending over to open and close the curtains, I experimented with that last night. My sew in type of carriers were beveled with no touching of the mounting screws, I just think that dissimilar materials made them a pain. My plan was to shovel the snow away from the swinging doors on the shop to get the rig out today and start on this but it snowed again last night, with no room around the rig, this may turn out to be another project that is put on stand-by red alert!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I finally got around to putting up the curtain track after I got the rig out of the shop. This might be one of the few times things have turned out better than I thought they would. I used the existing holes that were made at the factory when they installed the channel type track, the less holes in the headliner the better. The pre installed height of the brackets and track were about 7/8" tall, after installation, because of the padded headliner, I was able to reduce height to less than 3/4". This made for a very clean install as well as a nice slim look. The little wheeled carriers just zip around the track with no effort at all, the modified blanket that I used for a curtain weighs a whole lot more than my finished curtain will after I fab it out. I have high hopes for this little project, what could possibly go wrong!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

When you replaced the new track and reused the old holes in the roof, did you dip the screws in loc-tite or any other anti-slip, anti-leak, anti-rust substance before the installation?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Good question Mike. My track was held on by the streaker type WOOD screws. I expected them to be sheet metal screws before removing and was a little shocked that there is a wood frame above the headliner or at least wood blocking of some sort. That's the reason I used the same holes, not sure what was further down the row! So the answer to your question is no, I never thought to use anything on the screws.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #9
Platinum Member

No problem, just thought I'd ask.
We don't always find them to be much of a struggle, because we try to remember to set them up as soon as the shift lever hits Park, while we're still in the cockpit. Makes it a bit easier to feed them out or back, a bit at a time. If we forget, different story.
We used to not bother with them at all, and just suspend a telescopic shower curtain rod behind the forward captain's chairs between the upper storage pockets along the roof line, and drape a dry towel over it. Usually gave us enough privacy for settling down for the night, and was easy to set up. Worked well for a quick clothes change, too.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Finished! I had to put the rig back into the shop a couple of weeks ago due to incoming storm and finished my project in cramped quarters. The curtains I used were made from 2 shower curtain liners cut to length and height. I ended up cutting both curtains to almost equal length so as not to have one long one and one not so long. I then hemmed them to be custom height for side windows and curvature of the dash leaving them about one inch heavy. The old ones were the same height the entire length and left a lot of material bunched on the steering column and dash area. The finished height made for a much cleaner look! All the hems were done with fabric glue and a small piece of Velcro to hold them together, we now have the option of two separate curtains for the side windows only or one long curtain for complete coverage. I found a clear curtain wand and cut it to length for use in closing/opening curtains, it works like a dream! I cant wait for spring to be here so I can pull the van out for good and finish my sway bar mod that I somewhat started last fall. Enjoy your weekend!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Just remember, the curtains are only for use when you're stopped/parked, and should not be deployed while the van is in motion.
Sunglasses may be used for road glare, in lieu of your new curtains.
Other than that bit of advice, sounds like it worked out well.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #12
Platinum Member

C'mon Mike, there are some "van in motion" types to require the curtains to be completely closed! Other than that, I will heed your warning. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #13
Bronze Member

Sounds neat. Photos available?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:00 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er
C'mon Mike, there are some "van in motion" types to require the curtains to be completely closed! Other than that, I will heed your warning. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Just a final post on the curtain upgrade. After 9 weeks of daily opening and closing these curtains, they still work like butter. If you are sick and tired of your old style tracks, look into these. I think one of the next upgrades will be to replace the shower curtain tracks.